PDA

View Full Version : US author, UK agent?

RichardB
05-01-2009, 05:53 PM
As I move the the various circles of Query Letter Hell I begin to realize how important it is to have a connection or referral to an agent. I am also seeing that the best connections I have made so far all seem to be towards UK agents. For example I've reached out to a couple of well-known historians who love my book concept and are reading the manuscript--both are London based and have UK agents. Unfortunately for my subject matter I am not finding the same connections in the US.

So what I want to do is query these UK historians' agents and say "your client so-and-so loved my book"

I imagine there are a couple of options if I were to sign with a UK agent:

a) UK agents shops the manuscript to US publishers
b) first publication is in the UK

Does anyone have any experience with this sort of relationship or has anyone heard of it happening?

And no, I'm not giving up on US agents and yes, the UK agents I'm thinking of handle fiction and yes, I'm willing to change "color" to "colour" and "defense" to "defence", etc.

Mr Flibble
05-01-2009, 06:21 PM
how important it is to have a connection or referral to an agent.

Most people get an agent without

But if you HAVE a connection, use it

First publication I'm not sure but probably in the UK, because the agent will have more connections with UK publishers. I may be wrong, but it'd probably work that way

Several people hereabouts have agents in different continents to them ( I can think of at least one Canadian author whose agent is in the UK)- it doesn't seem to be a problem.

yes, I'm willing to change "color" to "colour" and "defense" to "defence", etc.

You may not have to - UK publishers regularly do it for reprints from the states, or some don't bother and print with US spelling. Either way, shouldn't be a problem. My publisher is in the states and they kept the UK spelling.

I say go for it - what have you got to lose? Just be aware that query letters are slightly different in the UK ( more a cover letter) - and you usually send the first three chapters and synopsis with the query.

Good luck.

Danthia
05-01-2009, 06:57 PM
You can get an agent with no connections at all, so that's not a big concern. But they can get your foot in the door, which is always good.

One thing to think about, is that the UK market is often very different from the US market. What works there doesn't always work here and vice versa. So if you want to sell in the US, and UK agent might not have the same connections to US editors. That's why most agents have a foreign rights agents they work with overseas (and I imagine it works the way with European agents for the US).

It's not a deal breaker, but it is something to consider.

RichardB
05-01-2009, 08:09 PM
One thing to think about, is that the UK market is often very different from the US market. What works there doesn't always work here and vice versa.

Danthia, I think that's correct and that's exactly why I'm askign the question! I've written an adult historical and based on what I see getting sold these days I wonder if the UK market is a better fit. There have been a few recent popular histories that deal with the time period and locations of my novel, and every one of them is by a scholar based in London.

waylander
05-01-2009, 08:21 PM
Well worth trying
I sent you a PM