What happened to memoir writing?

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a little perturbed by the lack of interest in memoirs these days, even here on AW. I love a good novel--some sci-fi or a good mystery. But I like a true story, especially if it's stranger than fiction.

Is this James Frey syndrome? Do people immediately assume that all memoirs are exaggerated or made up? (I know he wasn't the only one)

If you go back in the memoir part of SYW a few pages, there were hundreds of views and dozens of responses to posted work, but now not so much.

Am I writing in a dead genre?

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
It might just be that these days, readers are looking for a bit more in the way of escapism than they did before, and it's just a temporary dip. You might get some information by checking things like Amazon.com's sales ranks to see how many memoirs show up in the top 100 bestselling books, for example, and if perhaps there is a common subject type to them.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
My first full-length MS was a memoir. I finished the first draft at the end of '07 and have since buried it deep in my computer. I plan to revisit it once my husband and I leave Mexico -- I figure with all the drama we've had here in the past year, I have plenty of new material. ;)

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Memoirs are only as powerful as the story behind them, in my opinion. I read the story of a girl growing up in the South, going through a pretty crappy life and coming out with a message of hope in the end. It was normally a book I wouldn't be inclined to read (not my favorite genre) but it caught my eye and I'm glad I read it. It was okay as far as reading goes but it was really interesting.

I read another one about a guy growing up in Hell's Kitchen, getting involved with mob bosses and murderers, spending time in prison and living with Satanic priests. That one is more than just fascinating--it's incredible. It's compelling, humorous, poignant, unpretentious and full of beauty throughout the first three chapters. I only wish I could get on to reading chapter four...;) *cough-cough*

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
He seems like the kind of guy who is still working on chapter four.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I've been selling short memoir pieces for 4 or 5 years, Wayne. I've had them published in newspapers, magazines, journals and I even recorded it for Canada's national public radio. It's not dead in my mind.

jerrywaxler

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jerrywaxler.com
Memoirs are alive and well

Hi Wayne,

I read memoirs constantly, and have at least 2 and usually 3 going at once. Our local public radio station talk show routinely features interviews with memoir writers, and lots of people I know are either trying to write one or wish they were. The only thing holding anyone back is the fear they won't be able to tell a good story or the fear it won't be published, which is pretty similar to what holds authors back in any genre.

Having said that, this forum is a little slow. I'm not sure why. If you want to speed it up, just jump in and start more discussions.

Jerry

Last edited:

barbilarry

I just wanna write
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I agree with manix. I loved those three chapters I read and wait with baited breath for the upcoming chapter 4+more. You rock wayne!
jane

brutus

Registered
Reaction score
m

Last edited:

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
After much reading across a lot of different genres, I've come to the conclusion that memoir(s) are held to a higher literary standard by the publishing industry than many other genres...

...In the long run though, quality will be remembered for generations.

This is so true. It's what I wish I could have said, if only I had had the right words! Thank you brutus! You grabbed the thoughts right out of my head and expressed them perfectly!

Just fyi, Wayne, nothing you've ever experienced in your life has come to you on a silver platter, so I guess this won't by any different, eh? But you're used to that, right? This genre expects the creme de la creme to float to the top, I guess.;)

"A" Is For "Agent"

Big Meanie Head
Registered
Reaction score
Has the genre mutated/morphed into BLOGGING?

Rubbish. Have you ever picked up and read a memoir in your life? Blogging and memoirs= apples and oranges.

To give my input to the author's question: Somewhere someone mentioned that the success of Frank McCourt's memoir Angela's Ashes wasn't attributed to what happened but rather, how it was written. If it's well-written, it'll probably sell and sell well.

MaLanie1971

Registered
Reaction score
I'm a little perturbed by the lack of interest in memoirs these days, even here on AW. I love a good novel--some sci-fi or a good mystery. But I like a true story, especially if it's stranger than fiction.

Is this James Frey syndrome? Do people immediately assume that all memoirs are exaggerated or made up? (I know he wasn't the only one)

If you go back in the memoir part of SYW a few pages, there were hundreds of views and dozens of responses to posted work, but now not so much.

Am I writing in a dead genre?

Lets bring it back!

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I'm reading an incredible memoir by a woman from wwII who lived through it, despite the Russians and the Germans. Unfortunately, the "writers" brought on to put it together ruined it. They have these little side notes that repeat what the woman just told us in her own words. It's like... I'm reading this in English, what the hell are you interpreting? FYI: the woman died, leaving behind her "book", most written in her own hand, and it should have been left in her own hand.

Sorry. Went off on a tangent. I think there are memoirs out there that are good, but there have been so many that have come under the microscope and proved to be utter crap. I guess you can't get away with that anymore. But they're there.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I've been thinking about writing an article for Writers Digest about this subject.

I've never really thought about doing fiction because truth truly is stranger. I would rather read non fiction unless it's really done well--I like true stories.

I think the media kills that a bit. By the time a great story comes along they've beaten it to death--there's nothing left to tell.

MaLanie1971

Registered
Reaction score
YES! And it's an incredible example of the genre, IMHO. Painful at times and hilarious at others.

I have never read a book so fast in my life! Elizabeth's writing felt real and alive to me. I felt like I was sitting on the sofa in my jammies, eating a pint of chocolate ice cream out of the tub while my best friends was pouring out her life details to me.

I related to her in so many ways and I know other women did as well (thats why she was on Oprah twice and EPL parties began), that's the type of book I want to write. And I wish there were more like that.

As I grow as a reader and writer (four months since I began writing) I am finding I like a unique voice, not too wordy or too descriptive but where I feel like the author is sitting down with me in a casual setting and we are having an intimate chat, and I just happen to be listening.

My voice is informal and I don't know that I ever want to be formal as its not natural to me. I want to be me, just plain old me without pretense.

MaLanie1971

Registered
Reaction score
I've been thinking about writing an article for Writers Digest about this subject.

I've never really thought about doing fiction because truth truly is stranger. I would rather read non fiction unless it's really done well--I like true stories.

I think the media kills that a bit. By the time a great story comes along they've beaten it to death--there's nothing left to tell.

You should, and BTW hurry up and finish, now I am curious and want to be a fan!