PDA

View Full Version : Call for submissions: Novellas 15K-40K; $60

Keyan
05-01-2009, 08:21 AM
From the website on Panverse Publishing:

http://www.panversepublishing.com/subs.htm

Winter 2009
PANVERSE ONE: An all-original novella anthology. SUBMISSIONS OPEN!

"The novella is in many ways the perfect form for Science Fiction and Fantasy – long enough for credible worldbuilding and character development, while at the same time avoiding the difficulties of the full novel. Unfortunately, unless you're Neil Gaiman or Stephen King (and even then), novellas are almost impossible to get published these days, especially in print. Even most of the online venues don't take novellas. This is a huge shame, since there are probably many excellent novellas written which won't see publication

"If -- as I suspect -- those great novellas are out there and the market is responsive, PANVERSE ONE will be the first of a series of all-original novella anthologies.

"PANVERSE ONE will be published as a 6x9 trade paperback, perfect bound with high-quality, full-color cover art; anticipated at 200-250 pages and containing three or possibly four novellas.

"Each contributor will receive $60 on publication and two free copies of what we believe will be a very handsome paperback volume, with us paying for shipping."

About Panverse:

"Panverse Publishing was started by Dario Ciriello as an offshoot of the Written in Blood SF/F writers group. We'll be using POD technology (we may go to offset down the road) but Panverse Publishing is NOT a vanity press; Panverse is a real micro-publisher using modern technology and channels rather than the old publishing model, and standards will be very high. We'll be selling our books on Amazon.com, via this website, and in at least some bookstores."

jodiodi
05-05-2009, 06:31 AM
This may be a dumb question, but what is "Shared Universe"? I don't read a lot of SF/F; at least not enough to know all the phrasing.

Keyan
05-06-2009, 03:33 PM
Someone outlines the parameters of a Universe, and others write stories set in it.

darthhalos
05-16-2009, 04:28 AM
That's a great post to have in here, kudos Keyan. I think 60 bucks may be a bit low for that much writing, though. May as well just bang out 30k more words and have yourself a full novel to sell.

veinglory
05-16-2009, 05:30 AM
broken link?

TemlynWriting
05-16-2009, 07:20 AM
broken link?

I think the site was down earlier; I tried when you posted this and it didn't work for me, either. Then I did a search and found a cache of the site at that very link, so that's what led me to believe it was just temporarily down.

I just now tried the link again and it seems to be working fine.

Keyan
05-16-2009, 11:50 AM
Darthhalos, yes, $60 isn't much. But this is a new publishing company without deep pockets. Dario (who is a writer-friend and founder of an online writing group of which I'm a member) is trying to create a market for stories of length that's difficult to sell elsewhere, even though it's good for spec fic.

Veinglory, it seems the site goes down from time to time. I couldn't get in just now either. Like Julia, I found the cached page. I'll tell Dario.

icerose
05-16-2009, 05:33 PM
Darthhalos, yes, $60 isn't much. But this is a new publishing company without deep pockets. Dario (who is a writer-friend and founder of an online writing group of which I'm a member) is trying to create a market for stories of length that's difficult to sell elsewhere, even though it's good for spec fic.

Veinglory, it seems the site goes down from time to time. I couldn't get in just now either. Like Julia, I found the cached page. I'll tell Dario.

Is the 60 dollars an advance against royalties or an outright buy? Will there be royalties if it does start selling?

Keyan
05-17-2009, 08:16 AM
Is the 60 dollars an advance against royalties or an outright buy? Will there be royalties if it does start selling?

Outright buy, I believe, like with short stories. The link is working again, so you can check the details there.

jfreedan
05-17-2009, 02:41 PM
That doesn't sound like a very good deal for the author. I can Createspace my own novellas for free and they'll be listed on Amazon too.

The benefit authors get from having their work published by someone else is that their books get a marketing budget the author cannot afford on their own and they receive royalties on copies sold.

Keyan
05-18-2009, 10:47 AM
That doesn't sound like a very good deal for the author. I can Createspace my own novellas for free and they'll be listed on Amazon too.

The benefit authors get from having their work published by someone else is that their books get a marketing budget the author cannot afford on their own and they receive royalties on copies sold.

I think there's also the credibility effect: Someone else liked their work enough to pay for it.

But sure, you *can* Createspace your novellas. Self-publishing is getting easier and easier with the new technologies for production and distribution.

veinglory
05-18-2009, 06:08 PM
I would strongly suggest looking at a royalties model. I have sold one of my novellas for $50. But I have sold most of the others to a royalties paying publisher and several of them have now made over $1000. Admittedly they are generally fantasy romance or fantasy with strong romance elements which helps with sales, but these days novella markets are competing with epublishers. And by this metric a fantasy epublisher would compare favorably even for straight out high fantasy IMHO.

TemlynWriting
05-18-2009, 11:48 PM
I just wanted to commend Keyan and everyone else, especially veinglory, for being respectable and keeping this thread drama-free even in the midst of pay discussions.

Excellent job! :)

Keyan
05-19-2009, 09:37 PM
I would strongly suggest looking at a royalties model. I have sold one of my novellas for $50. But I have sold most of the others to a royalties paying publisher and several of them have now made over $1000. Admittedly they are generally fantasy romance or fantasy with strong romance elements which helps with sales, but these days novella markets are competing with epublishers. And by this metric a fantasy epublisher would compare favorably even for straight out high fantasy IMHO.

I think one of the issues with going to a royalty model is that it requires an administrative framework. Someone has to keep tabs on sales and earnings, make payments and send out royalty statements.

If a writer can do better by converting the novella to a novel, and then pitching it as such; or by selling it to an e-publisher, that's great! (The fantasy/ romance genre might be a special case, though, at least for now. But when e-readers like Kindle really take off, I expect the novella market will, too. Maybe we should start a thread elsewhere on markets for novellas?)

To keep things in perspective: This is *one* anthology, which will contain maybe four novellas. If it works out, presumably, there'll be a second one.

cameronknight
05-20-2009, 12:00 AM
As a published author, this is the kind of thing I would go for in a heartbeat if it was using a royalties model. otherwise i'm just not going to waste my time.

Question for Keyan: if your idea does work out, would you consider expanding to other genres?

Positive Note: It does seem to me that the novella, like the similarly beleagured short story, needs someone to step up to the plate and offer a print anthology that is well edited, properly produced and non-vanity distributed (i.e., can be found in at least a select few independent bookstores). I seriously believe this is a gaping hole in the market right now.

I wish you all the luck in the world with this.

Keyan
05-20-2009, 04:28 AM
As a published author, this is the kind of thing I would go for in a heartbeat if it was using a royalties model. otherwise i'm just not going to waste my time.

Question for Keyan: if your idea does work out, would you consider expanding to other genres?

Positive Note: It does seem to me that the novella, like the similarly beleagured short story, needs someone to step up to the plate and offer a print anthology that is well edited, properly produced and non-vanity distributed (i.e., can be found in at least a select few independent bookstores). I seriously believe this is a gaping hole in the market right now.

I wish you all the luck in the world with this.

I'd like to say that this isn't my idea or my venture (much as I'd love to steal the credit), it's Dario's. There's a whole explanation of how it started on the Panverse website. I offered to post the details here because I hang out on AW and I don't believe he does.

Your "positive note" is exactly why Dario wanted to go for a novella anthology. I understand it's going well, with some pro-writer submissions he was thrilled with.

As to other genres, I don't know, but you could ask him?

Keyan
05-20-2009, 04:32 AM
I just wanted to commend Keyan and everyone else, especially veinglory, for being respectable and keeping this thread drama-free even in the midst of pay discussions.

Excellent job! :)

Thanks! It probably helps that it's not personal for me, since Panverse isn't mine.