Family Fun Magazine

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
email address for Family Fun Magazine given in their guidelines does not seem to work. Before I resort to snail mail, does anyone have one that does? Thanks.

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
About a year ago I ran into a freelancer who writes frequently for FamilyFun and I asked her about working for them. She said that they rely heavily on repeat writers - once you've written for them, if they like you they'll use you again (good news, once you're in). I inquired about 'how', and she said it's all about the idea. They love really good, upbeat, original ideas, and things that reflect what they're all about.
I've never queried them myself, as I don't write for the parenting market too much, but just thought I'd pass alone what I'd learned. Good luck!

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
This e-mail ladyvincenza gave is what's in their writer's guidelines, but if you have to, snail mail works too -- this is the national mag that bought my craft project 5 months ago, from a snail mail submission (I got the acceptance e-mail 3 weeks after I dropped it in the mailbox). They're very nice to work with (even helped when my invoice didn't go through as it should have!).

I would love to get into this mag and have queried a couple of times...but it's hard to think of ideas! They have done *everything*! Any advice, or is it just over my head?
Sarah
They have pretty much done everything, but the Everyday Fun department is where I broke in and it's where I'm hoping to sell to again before I try for anything with a byline.

Now is a good time to get in, they've taken over the subscriptions for WonderTime, which just folded. Got my postcard about it today.
Whoa! I've subscribed to FF for six years and have never heard of WonderTime, much less gotten a postcard advising of an acquisition. Thanks for the heads-up!

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.sarahtrachtenberg.com
Cool:) Anyone want to brainstorm ideas with me? Like I said, Family Fun has covered everything! I've queried an idea or two that I thought was completely original and good for the mag, but no dice.
I've never heard about Wonder Time either, but if now is a good time to query FF, awesome.

Autodidact

...in my Maidenform Bra.
Registered
Reaction score
Well I only just worked up the nerve to send my first query (unguided canoe trip on The Green River in Utah) but I see their guidelines say "affordable" and synonyms all over, so I think that might be a hint.

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Hi all,
For everyday fun, I'd like to submit a recipe for invisible ink I found in a book I love. Is it OK to submit an idea that isn't "truly" mine (after all, are there any truly original ideas left?), and do you think this would be a good topic? I think it sounds like it has what they are looking for-- cheap, easy, fun, good for rainy days.
Like I said, FF has done everything. It's hard to think of submission ideas!
Thanks,
Sarah

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
I think you need to do something to make the idea your own - can you alter the recipe, use the ink in your own way, or put some other unique spin on it? If the idea is from a book it is probably under copyright.

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
What samcollie said. It is hard to think of submission ideas for them, but you're right, invisible ink does sound like the kind of thing they'd go for, and it doesn't show up in the craft section of their site. Tweak the recipe or otherwise make it your own, then go for it. :Thumbs:

Fern

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
You might use the ink (giving full credit where credit is due) but make the idea more about what you do with it, say . . . rainy day fun --hiding treasure inside on a rainy day and clues to find the treasure are left in invisible ink.

stldenise

Scout Mom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.denisebertacchi.wordpress.com
Invisible Ink is as old as the hills (at least the lemon juice kind!)... I think some crafts have become so common that they don't belong to anyone anymore. The last Family Fun I picked up had a ball made of sponges that I KNOW I saw somewhere else.

If you've got a new twist on an old craft, definately send it in.

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
I can't think of a new twist on invisible ink, but as far as I could tell, FF has never covered it, and like I said, it's hard to think of a topic they haven't done LOL! Anyway, *I* woulda liked invisible ink as a kid :)...do you want to brainstorm together?
Sarah

moth

my own two hands
Registered
Reaction score
I hope you go for it! Take an afternoon and play around with water and lemon juice and toothpicks and lights and different kinds of paper. I've found that the best crafts and activities are the ones you don't dream up until you do them. :)

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
How do I get the right ed's name? If I can't, does it matter too much? I've been told it's important, but if I can't get it, I don't think it's necessary to ditch the entire query. Also, I don't have any "relevant" clips to send.
I'd like some feedback on this query. Thanks! :)
Dear Editor:

Play spy games with some hidden messages. Blow up a balloon and write or draw on it, then deflate; give it to a friend and see if she can figure out that she has to blow up the balloon in order to see the content. Here are some ideas for kids to create their own cryptic alphabet (will be included in the article). Older kids can update a classic, invisible ink (recipe included), by using it in a printer cartridge.

I propose a piece on these spy games for the Everyday Fun section of Family Fun. These are good rainy day activities for fans of Spy Kids and James Bond alike and they use cheap, everyday items from around the house.

I am a freelance writer whose work has been published in Ready Made and Shoestring. Thanks for reading my query; I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,
Sarah Trachtenberg

samcollie

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.swansonwriting.com
I think it's important to locate and use the editor's name - it shows you have a familiarity with the magazine and you took the time to do some research. I've never sent a query to general "Dear editor". Good luck!

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
Hm. I love the idea of spy games with hidden messages!

I'm not too happy with balloons though - they end up in rubbish - or are they recyclable?
(Plus, some people have allergies to latex/balloons, I hear?)
Can you come up with environmentally friendlier alternatives?

As eco is all the rage, maybe environmentally friendly alternatives would be better? :)

WOW, invisible ink in a printer cartridge! (Is it eco too? If yes, I DEFINITELY want to hear about it! :))

Well, this was just my personal response..

Some people say to just call or e-mail to ask who you can send the query to..? (as generally editors change all the time..) Not sure if this is doable, maybe you could try?

Good luck with the project/s & the query!

ladyvincenza

user-set title
Registered
Reaction score
Website
Thanks for your help, everyone:)
Eco-friendly is an interesting angle I haven't considered. I'd never even thought about eco-friendly balloons, so I wonder if there are any? Or what about the idea of recycling old balloons from a recent party with this spy message?
Often, I've tried to find out who to query at a mag and gotten nowhere. At MAD magazine, who, mind you, had a call for freelance submissions (and is incidentally a white whale of mine), I called and they refused to tell me. Any advice on that, tangentially?

Andreya

in denial
Registered
Reaction score
I wonder if there are any too :) Maybe a good topic for research & an article? :)

Or balloon alternatives for people with latex allergies or such..?
Or other eco-friendly fun things to do?

Sorry to hear about the MAD magazine - maybe they had too many submissions already?
Maybe you also got the cleaning lady on a bad day?
Some people use 'tricky' techniques like 'Could I talk to Mr Stevenson, the ________ editor?' & chances are they'll tell you, 'Oh you mean Mr Jackson, the ...?'
I think it was in Jenna's book too.. Or e-mail to website admin & say you have a terrific idea for an article and are not sure who to send it to?
First of course analyze their masthead, or website.. if any hints there..

Good luck!!