Sesame Street - Not Suitable for Children?

jmascia

Registered
Reaction score
Okay, now is the time to talk about how incredibly screwed up this country is. A couple of years ago, the first season of Sesame Street was released on DVD. Everyone knows Sesame Street, many of us watched the show as children and many of us plan on having our own children watching it. Here is the screwed up part. On each of these DVDs of the first season of Sesame Street reads the warning: NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN.

If only this were a joke, but I assure you, walk into the children’s section of any Best Buy or FYE and you will see for yourself. How can a show designed for children, not be suitable for them, you may ask. Here, is the explanation given from the PR people.

Big Bird is obviously on something, because he hallucinates and is the only one who can see Mr. Snuffluffigus. Oscar the Grouch is apparently a manic depressive, not to mention a bum, since he spends his entire day inside a garbage can. Cookie Monster is your kids first introduction to a drug addict, he can’t get enough cookies. (PS – for those of you who have not kept up, Cookie Monster, though still named Cookie Monster, no longer eats cookies. He eats veggies now, as they are better for you and its okay to have an over abundance of them). Oh yeah, and the whole Bert and Ernie gay couple thing really threw some people off.

Beside the characters, they had complaints about the setting. Yes, the setting of the original Sesame Street looked a lot a real city setting rather than the magical street it is today. They also had some complaints about some of the situations. This may sound absurd, but in the very first episode, Gordon sees one of the children, upset, and invites her back to his house for milk and cookies. Now, though talking to stranger is something we should teach our children never to do, I highly doubt that Gordon is a pedophile.

If this is what our country has come to. Making us regulations against children’s programming, then I say let me out now.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I had a friend apologize for not remembering how 'dark' and 'disturbing' Muppets from Space was. A group of us took our three year olds to see it when it was revived by a local theatre.

I couldn't help asking her if she was insane.

But I'll tell you, though, I do actually find The Cat In The Hat to be a subtly sinister book. I don't remember reading it as a child, but when I read it to my own kids, I was kind of taken aback at how wrong it all seemed. Lol! So, I'm crazy too.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
They've also put warnings on the DVD sets for Looney Toons and Tom & Jerry for the racial content in many of those.

jmascia

Registered
Reaction score
Yeah, I know about those too. And like many of us who grew up in the 70s and 80s I grew up watching them on TV. But, I can understand why they would put it on them because those cartoons were honestly never intended for children when they were created.

I mean, don't get me wrong, it still pisses me off, but not nearly as much as the Sesame Street ones.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Putting on my "Think Like a Lawyer" hat (I'm not a lawyer), I bet the warnings are there not because anybody affiliated with PBS or the DVD distributor feels the content is not appropriate for kids but to sidestep lawsuits from parents who believe their children should only be exposed to warm and fuzzy things (leaving them unprepared for the real world and its hard corners). If the parent has been warned, they cannot file a lawsuit with any expectation of winning even if they believe the horrific content of Sesame Street has harmed their child irreparably.

Maryn, practical

Toothpaste

THE RECKLESS RESCUE is out now!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.adriennekress.com
This is the crazy thing about children's tv, film and books. Children and adults see them very differently. And this is why writing in this genre is so fascinating for me.

In "Alex" I have a sequence on a train where time is meaningless, where they keep repeating the same day over and over with no stop, and people are disappearing but no one except Alex notices. Zombies are then introduced as is a soul sucking machine. Kids love this sequence. Adults are freaked out by it. Adults see the horror of the situation, place themselves into it as if it was utterly real, and it gets to them. Kids just see the events happening as they occur. It's weird, but there must be an explanation. They don't see the nightmare of time having no meaning etc. It's two totally different ways of reading things.

Same with Sesame Street. I watched it as a kid. I never thought Oscar was a homeless person. He was a grouch and his home was a garbage can. Snuffleupagus wasn't an illusion, he simply was never there when others were. Ernie and Bert were friends who were opposite from each other. And the adults on the street were all pleasant and sweet and taught moral lessons.

But then adults come in and project their own world weary views on everything, and then they want to take away the joy and wonder for kids and give them "appropriate" material to watch. Adults really do ruin the good time for kids. They also seem to not understand them at all. Really frustrating.

Maybe adults should talk to the kids and see what they are seeing. As opposed to tell them what they think they are seeing. There's a thought.

Last edited:

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Sesame Street was my show of choice back when I was growing up in the 80's. It saddens me to here this.

I agree, if this what this country is coming too, get me a ticket on the first what ever, heading where ever.

jmascia

Registered
Reaction score
But that's just what I'm talking about. What was wrong with Sesame Street. I mean, really what's wrong with the Loony Toons and Tom and Jerry for that matter. They say it's too violent. I hate to say it, but when did you ever hear of a child trying to drop an anvil on someone's head or eat spinach so they could punch someone through the ceiling. Never happened.

The Fairly Oddparents on Nickelodeon had an episode a little more than a year ago when they went into one of these old cartoons and Timmy, the child character, who had never seen anything like that before says that it is the greatest display of "Non-Imitatable" violence he has ever seen. The key word is what I placed in the quotes.

But seriously, what child is going to watch Sesame Street and say, "Oh gee, Bert and Ernie are gay. I guess I'll be gay too." or "Wow. Cookie Monster eats cookies like my mom tilts back bottles of whiskey."

And you're absolutely right Maryn, one reason they do put it on there is so they don't get sued. But that still shows the sad state this country is in.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Toothpaste makes a really good point, but I think there's a little something more to it:

Values have changed since the show was first aired. Having grown up in the 60's, I remember when the neighbors would watch all us kids and if I screwed up, any mom on the street could correct me and I took it, just as if she were my mom. There was a sense of community that's become lacking as people's lives got busier, as violence against children became more well-known and people became more suspicious and distrusting in general.

Not to mention such things as food, germ and other health awareness. Things like that didn't exist anywhere close to the obsession level it has now.

The world has just plain changed in the last 40-odd years. It totally doesn't surprise me that Sesame Street's first seasons have warnings on them because they cannot be viewed with the same mindset as they were originally. People don't think that way anymore. They can't.

It makes total sense to me why it has the warnings.

jmascia

Registered
Reaction score
I would like to add one more thing to that. I watched Pinnochio (yes, the DISNEY movie). In the movie, the child runs away from home, ditches school, goes to an island where he smokes cigars and drinks beer, this is a movie we all watched as kids. Tell me 2 things. 1) Why do you think this one has no warning on it? and 2) How many of you after watching that movie as a child asked your mom or dad for a cigar?

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
And it's not just cartoons getting edited (remember the run of Tom & Jerry cartoons where they redubbed Mammy's voice so she didn't sound "colored"?). A few years ago, probably 1997 or so, I was watching a rerun of Bewitched on Nick At Nite. It was when Samantha was expecting (sorry. We can't use the "p" word in this context! It didn't exist on TV back then!) Tabitha, and she was preparing for a dinner party. During one scene, she was unwrapping packs of cigarettes to put them into a box on the coffee table; because she was preg...expecting, the scene was digitally edited so it zoomed in AND YOU COULDN'T EVEN SEE HER TOUCHING THE NAKED CIGARETTES. And, yes, I've seen the original episode before this.

We've come a long way, baby.

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
I would like to add one more thing to that. I watched Pinnochio (yes, the DISNEY movie). In the movie, the child runs away from home, ditches school, goes to an island where he smokes cigars and drinks beer, this is a movie we all watched as kids. Tell me 2 things. 1) Why do you think this one has no warning on it? and 2) How many of you after watching that movie as a child asked your mom or dad for a cigar?

No to the last. When I first saw this when I was a kid all I thought at the time was that it was a cartoon. Period. Oh and it had a lot of boring music in it. lol. :)

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
The world has just plain changed in the last 40-odd years. It totally doesn't surprise me that Sesame Street's first seasons have warnings on them because they cannot be viewed with the same mindset as they were originally. People don't think that way anymore. They can't.
I feel your forty-year estimation is way off, at least as far as the Dallas area goes. Random adults got on my case all the time as a kid in the late 80s to early 90s in both the middle-class burbs and the barrios across the Trinity. Pissed me off, too, which is why I remember it so clearly. I've always been a bit of a rebel...

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
My kids are 9 & 11 and have never watched a single episode of Sesame Street on TV. I, however, grew up as a S.S. consumer. In my memory, S.S. rocked (and The Electric Company rocked even harder; anyone remember a very young Morgan Freeman with a huge 'fro?). So, I decided to share the love with the wee ones. I found old S.S. skits on YouTube and showed my kids: the Yip-Yips (those muppets with the giant extendable bottom lips who shout "Book, book, book, uh-huh, uh-huh"), the tweedle-bugs (those low-IQ bugs who live in Ernie's window box and can't figure out how to work the car), and a host of other loveable S.S. weirdness. My kids LOVED it! They HOWLED at its silliness and inanity. I'd forgotten how gratuitously silly most of Sesame Street actually was.

At least as silly as... SpongeBob Squarepants or Fairly Odd Parents, shows that my kids watch daily with delight. You know, if anything needs a warning, it's bizarre, Pythonesque, psychedelic, SpongeBob frickin' Squarepants. At least Sesame Street TRIED to teach kids to read.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
It's weird, but there must be an explanation. They don't see the nightmare of time having no meaning etc. It's two totally different ways of reading things.

The concept of time is learned, not instinctual. Kids don't understand it for a long time. Tell a 4 year old to sit still and quiet for 5 minutes and they think it's an eternity. A ten minute car ride feels like a year. They understand boredom, but not the physical units of time passing, so having a place where time means nothing fits in with their own perception of the world.

And this S.Street mess is a lot like what the "experts" said about Winnie the Pooh like 10 years ago.

Christopher Robin isn't a healthy child -- he has no real friends and exists in his own little world.

Eeyore -- clinically depressed

Pooh -- Obese and obsessive over-eater

Tigger -- promotes lying

jmascia

Registered
Reaction score
Actually, my feelings on Tigger was that he had severe ADHD.

But even so, if the critics were saying those things about Winnie the Pooh, why no warning on the label? Why single out Sesame Street? The show was made for kids. It doesn't matter that times have changed. What was good for kids then should be good for kids now, especially since we have become so called "freer" with our censorship and whatnot.

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score
*cringe* PC makes me die a little inside.

Soon we will all be working Christmas, schools won't be allowed to perform Fiddler on the Roof, choirs won't be allowed to sing any music composed by someone who was Christian, and heck, they might as well just ban money since it says "In God We Trust."

By then we will all look the same and dress the same, because heaven forbid we offend anyone with our beliefs and personalities...

AND GOD FORBID CHILDREN EAT COOKIES!!!!!!

Wavy_Blue

Adventure is out there!
Registered
Reaction score

He also gets turned partially into an ass. :D

There probably doesn't need to be a warning because by the end of the movie, Pinocchio realizes these things are wrong and becomes noble and brave. Plus Disney has a heck of a lot of money to spend to get their movies distributed the way they want...without warnings.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
I often suspect that Shelly Duvall' s Faerie Tale Theater would never have made it onto tv nowadays.

nahalwi

Registered
Reaction score
hm....so, they don't like COOKIEmonster eating cookies, but they won't show kids the 'real' bugs bunny any more who ate carrots ALL the time or Popeye who ate spinach all the time...

I used to watch SS all the time when I was little. Always. I would go to the shows when they were in town. I learned how to count in spanish from them. I can't say much else, but I can still count to 10! I also have to say the one character I never did and still do not like is Elmo. Don't like him, have never liked him. Ever. And yet they push and push him on kids these days.

One thing that does really bother me is the idea that people associate Bert and Ernie with being gay. As a kid, that was never my thought. I thought of them as brothers. Best friends. Never sexual in any sense, and i think that's part of this 'growing up' that people do is they do, as Toothpaste said, start seeing things differently. And it's a shame that we can't see something that is (and has always been intended to be) innocent as corrupt and sexualized just because we are so used to viewing the world like that and can't separate reality from children's fiction.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
So what if they were designed to be gay? Negative reaction to the suggestion indicates the depth of socialized discrimination.