Rise and Fall of The City of Mahagonny

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
I had the chance to recently get this opera played by the LA Opera and let me tell you, it blew my mind, never I thought a theatrical show that involved music and choreography could give me so many layers of philosophy about conformism and free-will. Right now I am tired, but I shall tell you a bit about this later.

maxmordon

Penúltimo
Registered
Reaction score
Website
twitter.com
Can this be taken to the new TV, Movies and Theater section?

So the Rise & Fall of Mahagonny is not your usual opera, it mixes classical opera with jazz and ragtime while telling the story of a city of pleasure.

Three fugitives (Fatty the Bookeepper, Trinity Moses and Leocadia Smith) get their car broke before they arrive to the coast and can't go back because the feds are after them and the gold mines not far, since it's easier to take off gold from men than from Earth, they decide to found a city of pleasures and not long, prostitutes arrive and settle.

Trinity and Fatty goes to the city spreading the gospel of Mahagonny to the men who live meaningless lives dream about Mahagonny and they go off seeking pleasure and among these men is Jimmy, our protagonist, and his friends.

When Jimmy arrives to Mahagonny, he discovers people already living, so they settle a lower price to hookers and booze and Trinity, Leocadia and Fatty decide to leave these men penniless since the city is suffering financial problems, so they give men all what they want to make them spare money carelessly and everyone is convinced except Jimmy, who is tired of all the comformism that surrounds him and the rules and obligations, he only stays after his friends persuade him to do so, but suffers a nervous breakdown and menaces people with a knife. Meanwhile, a typhoon is menancing the city and everyone is affraid except Jimmy who says the destructive power of men is worse than any natural disaster and comments how everything would be perfect if everyone could do whatever they please without rules to abide...

and that's the first act.