PDA

View Full Version : Encounters with the paranormal

Manix
04-30-2009, 03:37 AM
I'm looking for descriptions of instances where paranormal activity has caused a disturbance. Do you have any concrete examples from your own life?

SouthernFriedJulie
04-30-2009, 04:15 AM
Yes. I can bore you to death with some stories. I used to go ghosthunting in my spare time. Back when I had spare time. Send me a PM and if you're up for it, I'll send you my IM screen names.

Manix
04-30-2009, 04:30 AM
Ghosthunting might produce some interesting results, I imagine. Anything involving lights, disturbances, etc.--whatever you've experienced?

dgiharris
04-30-2009, 07:16 AM
So,

My friends and I were vacationing in Hawaii, three of us total. We grabbed some scooters, went for a ride out in the countryside, about 10 miles outside of the nearest town/village/suburb.

Its nighttime, the moon is full, and we pull off to the side of the road to get a look at the ocean.

We walk a couple of hundred yards away from the road, through some light wilderness into a clearing overlooking the ocean. The scene was one of the most beautiful scenes i've ever experienced.

At this point, it is worth noting that my friends and I are all military trained to include extensive 'survival' training. We were trained in EVERY environment on the planet: jungle, desert, mountain, forest, and even artic. It is also worth noting that we are all black.

o.k.

So, we are watching this scene, no one is talking because it is so beautiful. And then we heard a rustle in the bushes.

The sound could best be described as a 'synthesized growl', like a rabbit/hamster speaking into a microphone.

This sound came about 10 yards away from us and lasted for about 1/10th of a second.

Perhaps it lasted longer, we will never know because the 'instant' we heard that sound my friends and I bolted, sprinted, ran for our lives back to our scooters without saying a word to each other (this is were us being black comes in. Absolutely no curiousity to 'see what that was' in the heat of the moment).

We jumped on our scooters, and tore off at the scooter maximum of 70mph.

Once we got back into town we turned to each other and said, "What the fuck was that noise?"

We will never know. Could it have been someone playing a prank. Highly highly doubtful. We were in the middle of nowhere, 1:00am, way off any beaten path, and there was miles of coastline so it was no 'special' location in which to wait all night just to scare someone.

We all know animal sounds and none of us recognized that sound.

To this day, I have no idea what it was. The odds are it was some animal, maybe a cat or dog with vocal chord damage. That would be the 'logical' explanation. But again, we will never know.

<cue Twilight Zone music>

Mel...

AngelRoseDarke
04-30-2009, 10:42 AM
When my son was a toddler he and I were living with my mother. We had to share a room. One night I had 3 people over to watch a movie. I put Draven to bed, and we put the movie in and sat on the couch in my room. We were in plain view of the toddler bed the whole time. About an hour into the movie, my three year-old son wakes up screaming and holding his arm. There were four long scratch marks down his right arm. He kept saying that "the girl did it". There was no other female in the house but me. We didn't own any pets, and he had not rolled over and scratched himself. We stopped the movie when he woke up and no one else was in the house. No other televisions were on, but we distinctly heard a girl giggle. Everyone heard it because we all turned to look in the direction of the sound at the same time. Nothing was there! To this day (8 years later), Draven still has a scar on his arm and swears that a little girl scratched him because he was in her room. He says he saw her many times, but that was the only physical evidence we ever saw.

Manix
04-30-2009, 04:37 PM
When my son was a toddler he and I were living with my mother. We had to share a room. One night I had 3 people over to watch a movie. I put Draven to bed, and we put the movie in and sat on the couch in my room. We were in plain view of the toddler bed the whole time. About an hour into the movie, my three year-old son wakes up screaming and holding his arm. There were four long scratch marks down his right arm. He kept saying that "the girl did it". There was no other female in the house but me. We didn't own any pets, and he had not rolled over and scratched himself. We stopped the movie when he woke up and no one else was in the house. No other televisions were on, but we distinctly heard a girl giggle. Everyone heard it because we all turned to look in the direction of the sound at the same time. Nothing was there! To this day (8 years later), Draven still has a scar on his arm and swears that a little girl scratched him because he was in her room. He says he saw her many times, but that was the only physical evidence we ever saw.
Thank you for sharing this, Angel. I've heard stories, mostly benign, of paranormal activity, but it really sets me off when I hear about kids getting caught in the fray. I hear about this and I want to become the Terminator. I hope your son is okay now.

AngelRoseDarke
04-30-2009, 05:20 PM
Thank you for sharing this, Angel. I've heard stories, mostly benign, of paranormal activity, but it really sets me off when I hear about kids getting caught in the fray. I hear about this and I want to become the Terminator. I hope your son is okay now.

Draven is fine now. We have since had that house torn down, and have put a new home in a different area on the property. There haven't been any more disturbances. We have learned that the original house had burned down, killing the family (father, mother, and daughter). My grandfather built his home on the old foundation and my room was right where the child's room had once been. It's amazing what a person can learn from county historical records.

Manix
04-30-2009, 05:28 PM
My WIP has a character whose name is a derivative of your son's name--Draben. I've heard stories of good encounters and not-so-good. I've had a few myself.

When I was a kid, a group of us (my brother and some of my friends) went cave exploring (spelunking for those of you who are in the know.) We went into quite a few and were having a great time, but the last one we encountered still haunts me (figuratively speaking--not literally).

We went into the cave and all of us, at the same moment, said, "I think we should leave--now."

It turns out, there had been some kind of ritual conducted there the night before.

We just had a sense of "You're not welcome here."

Cyia
04-30-2009, 09:36 PM
When I was in college. They assigned everyone temporary dorms at first (It was a unique set-up where you got to visit all dorms and then choose your top picks for where you'd like to stay before they gave you an actual room).

We had all of our stuff still in boxes because no one was unpacking in a temporary room. Both my roomie and I had upper bunks with desks underneath them instead of lower bunks.

She swore she "slipped" on the ladder, but she flung the total width of the room, crashed into the wall leaving a roomie shaped scuff, and the box that held her clothes was crushed flat. (Big box, like 2 stacked together).

No one under their own momentum slips off a ladder and flies more than ten feet straight backward. And they certainly don't do it hard enough to leave their imprint on the wall.

(I have a not 1st person account that sort of ties in with Dark's burned house, but as it's 2nd hand information, I wasn't sure if you'd want it or not.)

Manix
05-01-2009, 02:31 AM
(I have a not 1st person account that sort of ties in with Dark's burned house, but as it's 2nd hand information, I wasn't sure if you'd want it or not.)
Absolutely! Keep 'em comin'!

EFCollins
05-01-2009, 03:12 AM
I've had quite a few experiences... some of which I can't talk about. I'll give on a couple though.

I was asleep and dreaming. The dream was about me. I was a seal, swimming in the ocean (I know, I have some really weird dreams). So, there was no speaking, only ocean sounds.

I heard someone yelling "Nicholas! Nicholas!" which is my youngest son's name. I woke up, this was so loud.

I sat up in my bed. My bedroom light was on, my husband sleeping beside me. The house was quiet. I started to lay back down and when I did, the same voice started yelling again.

"Nicholas! Nicholas!" The sheer urgency in how they said the name got me up and out of bed. It was about 3:00-ish in the morning, give a few. Maybe 3:05 or so. I went through the house, waking my mother up in the process (she was asleep on the couch staying over), so she could verify this too. I went to his room to check on him.

I hadn't even touched him yet, but I could feel the heat coming off his body from a fever. When I took his temp. it was at 102.6. As soon as I touched him, he woke up and said he felt bad. I put him in a tepid bath and dosed him with ibuprofen. After about ten minutes, I took his temp. again and it had gone up to 104.3 and rising. I kept compressing him with cool cloths, fed him Popsicles, anything to get his fever down. The rearend had come out of our vehicle the evening before, so I couldn't go anywhere and I live about 35 minutes from a hospital. I was stuck. But I did get the fever down under 100 and let him go back to sleep.

I went back in my bedroom, not to go to sleep, but to watch TV so as not to wake anyone else up. I could still feel the tension in the room, too. I could feel that presence. I said out loud, "He's fine. I got his temperature down. Thank you." and just like that, it was gone. As soon as I said he was fine, it left.

The next one happened not to me, but to my oldest son. He was four or so.

He had been put to bed for the night. He got up and came to me and explained death in great detail. I asked him how he knew these things and he said,

"God told me, Mommy. He said that when we die, our empty shells go in the ground and our sprints (At the time, I took this to mean spirit, which he later confirmed as being what he meant) go back to him, where they belong."

I'm agnostic and my husband is an atheist. So, we sure as hell didn't tell him this stuff. What's strange is that my father died not long after. It makes me wonder if something did tell him this so he could deal with death. My son and my father were very close. They even look alike.

Then there's Alice. I've never told anyone besides my mother about Alice, so you are entitled to feel privileged. Back in the early 1900's, the area I now live in was a coal mining community. There was a typhoid outbreak among the miners' families and many young children died. The graveyard above my house is full of kids, ages ranging from 18 months to 7 years. Alice's grave is among them. And I see her in my house. She likes to look at the porcelain dolls I inherited from my grandmother. I've seen her four or five times. I asked her how old she was the first time I saw her and she held up her hand, all five fingers up. I thought she was real. I thought she was my daughter, actually, until I saw her face. She has brown hair and eyes, just like my daughter, so at first glance, I thought she was Savannah. She has on this dingy looking dress that has no real color, but might have been purple at one time. And this big, ugly scar across her forehead, running from her hairline to her eyebrow in a kind of curve. She doesn't scare me, and I wonder if it's her that woke me up and who spoke to my son. She's never spoken aloud when I've actually seen her, so I don't know.

Anyhow, those are the ones I'll talk about. There are others, but I just can't do it. Hope these help, though.

Manix
05-01-2009, 03:22 AM
"God told me, Mommy. He said that when we die, our empty shells go in the ground and our sprints (At the time, I took this to mean spirit, which he later confirmed as being what he meant) go back to him, where they belong."

I'm agnostic and my husband is an atheist. So, we sure as hell didn't tell him this stuff. What's strange is that my father died not long after. It makes me wonder if something did tell him this so he could deal with death.

Thank you so much for adding your stories. These are very interesting Wow. Fascinating.

EFCollins
05-01-2009, 03:35 AM
You're welcome. :) Are you looking for non-scarystories or more... not-so-benign encounters?

Manix
05-01-2009, 03:37 AM
You're welcome. :) Are you looking for non-scarystories or more... not-so-benign encounters?

Either one actually. All of the above. Anything you've encountered (personally)...I prefer first-hand experiences to those of second-hand parties, but those are acceptable too, if you think the witness was credible.

Cyia
05-01-2009, 04:01 AM
The not first person story came from a house in my hometown that burned down years ago (the tie in with Dark's story I was talking about), but it was the second time the house had caught fire. The first time (many years before) the whole family died, including the children.

Fast forward to fire #2. Middle of the night, kids home alone when big sister wakes up to find a man she's never met sitting on the end of her bed telling her to get up. Tells her to get her siblings up and get them out of the house. She didn't even know it was on fire until she had them outside, but the house was already compromised to the point that waiting any longer would have been fatal for all of them.

That time the house burned to the ground.

EFCollins
05-01-2009, 04:01 AM
I'll have to gather up some courage to tell any of the more disturbing stuff. Telling about Alice gives me the creeps. She doesn't scare me, but I have a hard time talking about her. Most of what I've come upon seems to be nothing more than what some people call "residual" type stuff, kind of like an imprint. I'll tell you about the lady from my best friend's house when I was a kid, though. Nine other people saw her other than myself, so I'm pretty sure she was the real deal. All she ever did was walk from room to room, standing at the end of the bed and looking at whomever was laying down. She died giving birth in the upstairs bedroom. She was blonde, light eyed. Thin, but with a mommy-pouch. She smiled, seemed very sweet-natured and didn't bother anyone. She did get in bed with my best friend's mother one night while I was staying there (which I did a lot as a kid).

My best friend and I practically lived in each others' back pockets. You saw me, you saw Dena. If Dena was there, so was I. We don't even speak anymore... but that's a different story. If she was here, she'd tell you some crazy first hand accounts. From me, they'd be second hand and even though we were close, I could never quite believe some of it, even though I've seen ghosts myself, so I won't go there. But wow, she did have some creepy stories.

EFCollins
05-01-2009, 04:08 AM
The not first person story came from a house in my hometown that burned down years ago (the tie in with Dark's story I was talking about), but it was the second time the house had caught fire. The first time (many years before) the whole family died, including the children.

Fast forward to fire #2. Middle of the night, kids home alone when big sister wakes up to find a man she's never met sitting on the end of her bed telling her to get up. Tells her to get her siblings up and get them out of the house. She didn't even know it was on fire until she had them outside, but the house was already compromised to the point that waiting any longer would have been fatal for all of them.

That time the house burned to the ground.

Jesus... just wow. That's freaky. I don't think anyone would want to rebuild on that site. Seems like some bad gunky on that property.

This is why I'm agnostic and not just all out atheistic. I can't say nothing's there, cause I've seen stuff with my own eyes. But something like that... I think it would put the fear in me. Really, that's wild. I'll say thanks for sharing, even though this isn't even my thread. So... thanks for sharing that.

Cyia
05-01-2009, 05:38 AM
Jesus... just wow. That's freaky. I don't think anyone would want to rebuild on that site. Seems like some bad gunky on that property.

This is why I'm agnostic and not just all out atheistic. I can't say nothing's there, cause I've seen stuff with my own eyes. But something like that... I think it would put the fear in me. Really, that's wild. I'll say thanks for sharing, even though this isn't even my thread. So... thanks for sharing that.

I see it as the opposite; I think it was a good thing. He couldn't save his family the first time, so he did what he could the second. Unfinished business, I guess. (A new house is there now, but it's only one story)

*btw -- google the "Catfish Plantation" in Waxahachie, Texas. Never been there myself, but it's one of the most famous haunted sites around here

quixote100104
05-01-2009, 12:18 PM
I've been a night Security person for over 20 years, 10 of them at a major trauma center.

My most significant experiance of this type occured while working as a guard at a major chemical company, in 1991. I was in an R&D building with no paranormal history (building or site) that I'm aware of, patrolling at about 3 am. One segment of the patrol involved turing a corner and looking directly at a long, high window that ran along a section of hallway. It was a period of considerable stress in my life and I was emotionally run down, but not actually upset at the time of the incident. If anything, my mind was largely blank, just trudging through the patrol ritual.

As I rounded the corner and looked toward the window, I felt an enormous surge of fear...raw, unreasoning terror that commanded an immediate response. Without thinking, I leaped back around the corner, not even really knowing why at the time. As my cognitive brain caught up with the reaction, I percieved a memory of seeing an inhuman face in the glass. It was more an impression than a clear memory, like an after-image on the retina when you see a bright light, but it didn't fade. It was roughly oval, virtically oriented and a kind of pale yellowish-orange in color. There was an impression of dark eyes and a nose, though nothing I could describe as a mouth and spikey protrusions all around.

Of course, when I looked, there was nothing, nor was there anything unusual outside. I had been looking directly at the window, perpendicular to it's plane and, as the building was at the edge of the property, the view beyond was open sky with no light sources in the line of sight. I didn't see any reasonable possibilities of a bizzare light reflection, as I have seen at other times.

Of interest is that, at that job, I befriended a rather strange young guard who turned out to be a spiritual/occult searcher. He claimed to be under active instruction as a sorcerer by a practicing one, who had trapped a 'demon' in a rock to learn things from. I made no effort to verify these claims and can't vouch for them. At the time I was studying Criminal Justice and considering a specialty in cult-related crime, so I had done some research and he seemed to at least have been seriously pursuing the topic.

I'm generally an open-minded skeptic, meaning I want to eliminate possible logical explainations before considering paranormal ones, but I'm not bothered by the possibility of the paranormal. There is a history of paranormal abilities in my family and, while I consider some of the claims inflated, I've seen enough evidence of unusual insights and perceptions not to discount the possibility.

I can think of several logical explainations myself for this, and have thought about it a lot over the years, but they never quite 'ring true' for me, based on the experiance. The think that makes this particualar incident stand out in my memory is the power of the subconcious impression. As I wrote, I don't remember 'seeing' anything prior to reacting. The reaction preceeded concious perception. I have since read that the part of the brain that controls those kind of fight or flight responses acts on only 10% of sensory input and frequently triggers responses before the other 90% can be processed by the cognitive center. That very closely matches my memory of the event.

Also, the emotional impact, though brief, was deep. It was weeks before I could turn that corner again without pausing and steeling myself and I can still feel the echoes of that moment of terror when close my eyes and focus on the memory. I've been frightened many times, including other incidents where I couldn't really identify what it was I percieved that startled me. Night patrol is full of weird perceptions. I've been threatened with blunt instruments and knives, in several instances having to disarm the attacker myself and have, once, looked right down the barrel of a gun at the hospital (an off duty cop in the waiiting room bailed me out of that one, bless him :-)!). None of these experiances left the emotional impression of that split second impression of 'something' in that window.

I've heard that seeing odd things in mirrors or windows with darkness behind them is not uncommon in paranormal circles and that 'demons' (which I use for lack of a better term, intending no specific ideological bias) sometimes approach those in fragile emotional states. I've always wondered whether that wasn't what happened that night and whether some element of my family's paranormal heritage might have permitted me to 'see it coming'.

Also, I've wondered whether that other guard might have been closer to the truth than even he realized and my involvement with him might have influenced my experiance. He was fired about three months later when his uncle left the company and there was no one to cover for his slovenly appearance and casual indifference to his duties. Less than a year later I heard he was in prison for, for no apparant reason even he could quantify, jumping into the vehichle of a woman he didn't know stopped at a red light and stabbing her (non-fatally) 15 times with an icepick.

On a less personal side note, over my years at the hospital, I and others noticed odd cold spots in the lower level hallway that lead from the morgue to the loading dock, the various ER rooms, etc. Most significant was reports to me by several cleaners, apparantly unaware of the association of cold spots with paranormal activity, that the ER men's room where a man walked in and fatally shot himself was 'always cold'.

Kathie Freeman
05-01-2009, 07:37 PM
My story isn't so dramatic, but it happened twice. I was staing at my cousin's house while fixing up our newly purchasde home to make it liveable. She and her daughter were out and I had lain down to rest. After about 10 minutes I heard the front door open and close, heard footsteps and voices. I thought they had come home and got up, but there was no one there. The second time was about 3 minths later. By then I had moved into my own house, but was staying overnight at my cousin's to babysit her pets while she and her daughter went on a camping trip. I went to bed around 10:30, and again about 10 minutes later, the same thing. Front door opens, closes, footsteps, voices, no one there. Was I dreaming? I don't think so.

Eponaleah
05-01-2009, 07:56 PM
Okay, I have one to share. This is a bit different than the types of experiences that have already been posted.

We have a couple of dogs that we brought home as young puppies nearly two years ago. The dogs have been raised in the house, and spend much of their time inside, though they have an outside kennel that they use when my sons are at school or work. (The dogs are their dogs.) When the dogs come in the house, they are generally excited and run amok for a while, rough-housing and such. Though the Chocolate lab is a bigger, stronger dog than the Australian Shepherd, he seems to be the more sensitve of the two, and has proved himself sensitive even to the paranormal. At least that's the way I see it.

The first time I noticed it, he was running around the sofa in the great room, playing tag with the Aussie. He stopped near me for a head pat or two, panting. As I was fussing over him and stroking him on the head, he stopped panting suddenly, snapped his mough shut and raised his head and started tracking something with his eyes, turning his head as he followed it across the room. He snapped his vision to the upper corner of the room behind me, and thinking that my son had come in, I turned around. There was nobody there that I could see or feel, but Boomer saw it and his hackles stood on end and he growled. He stared at that spot for a good long while, growling, before he whined, tucked his tail and scooted away into another room. The corner he was worried about is beside the door to my son's bedroom, in which they both sleep at night. Later, as my son readied for bed, he could not get his dog to pass that spot and had to physically pick him up to get him into the bedroom for the night. They next morning he couldn't get him out of the bedroom, and had to repeat the process in reverse to get the dog downstairs for breakfast. He continued to have problems for about a week or so until one day he decided that whatever had been bothering him about that corner, seemed to have vanished. The other dog was not affected whatsovever, and I couldn't feel any kind of change in the house atmosphere myself. We forgot about it for several months and then it happened again, in a different part of the same room. Luckily, my son didn't have to carry him in and out of the bedroom, but the dog did have to pass the spot to get downstairs, and he would slink by it, growling, with his tail tucked. Again, he reacted that way to some invisible something for about a week or ten days. He has since had two more episodes, and it always gives me gooseflesh.

Oh, and as an aside, we built this house with our own hands, on bare land.

selkn.asrai
05-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Hey Manix, because you're interested, these EVPs have a lot of interaction with the ghost hunters: http://www.ghostpix.com/index-5EVP.htm

Notables:

Undeniably the most distressing is a recording taken in an empty room in a building that hasn't had running water for 20 years. You hear a child moaning, "I can't breathe," and a man growl, "Murder." Then you hear splashing and a thud--as though someone's in a fit of drowning.

A ghost hunter drops his recorder and says, "That's not good." They catch an EVP of a voice saying, "I broke my neck!" in this snarky, "Oh, boo F CKIN' hoo," tone.

They talk of the majesty of an old theater, and a voice says, "I liked it the way it was." Apparently there was a fire there many years ago.

The list goes on and on--ghosts contributing to the conversation, responding to questions they weren't asked (like how many photos are on a camera and where the ghosts are and who was that guy?), children's voices questioning their strange equipment, female voices commenting on the men in the party, ghosts saying they'll murder the hunters. A lot of those, it seems.

They're interesting, to say the least.

GeorgeK
05-01-2009, 08:44 PM
The sound could best be described as a 'synthesized growl', like a rabbit/hamster speaking into a microphone.

This sound came about 10 yards away from us and lasted for about 1/10th of a second.Mel...

It sounds like a wild pig, particularly a sow in heat. They have an astonishlingy wide range of vocalizations

GeorgeK
05-01-2009, 09:04 PM
'demons' (which I use for lack of a better term, intending no specific ideological bias) .

I'm interested. Did you smell anything odd? If so, please describe.

Izunya
05-01-2009, 10:00 PM
It sounds like a wild pig, particularly a sow in heat. They have an astonishlingy wide range of vocalizations

If this is true, then dgiharris and his friends might have actually had a pretty narrow escape. Wild pigs are dangerous.

And Hawaii does have wild pigs. In fact, I just found a site advertising boar hunting trips, which talks happily about wild pigs with nine inch tusks. :scared:

Izunya

Siddow
05-01-2009, 10:19 PM
I was at the computer in my bedroom on evening and there was an air disturbance...sort of a 'whup, whup, whup' like a ceiling fan that's off-balance, or someone swinging a tennis racquet through the air. I turned around to look, nobody there, the ceiling fan was off. I thought, hm, that was weird.

Then the next morning I got a phone call that my father had died, right about the time of the whup-whup-whup.

Manix
05-02-2009, 12:01 AM
These are some truly amazing stories! Thank you for all your contributions! I hope this thread continues. I'm glad that most of you shared personal experiences. I don't detect any of you trying to manipulate the spirit realm and having adverse consequences--just normal activities that end up having something odd show up. That's exactly what I was looking for.

Quixote--that was pretty freaky about the guy who shot himself in the men's room.

Kathie--did you ever figure out what the noises were all about? Any guesses?

eponaleah--I recommend keeping your eyes open. Animals tend to have better perception than people, generally speaking (in my opinion.)

Siddow--I'm so sorry about your father. That is truly amazing. The day my grandfather passed away, I looked up on the countertop where my goldfish bowl sat and noticed the fish belly-up and suddenly knew that Grandpa had passed away. I also lost a cat when I was a kid. I had named him after a character in a book I read--loved that book!!! and in the book the character dies. The day I read that the character died, my cat passed away too.

stormie
05-02-2009, 12:25 AM
I've lived in two houses, both having some sort of "activity."

The '50s cape cod we had lived in, had the spirit of a small child. I've heard tiny footsteps walk around the downstairs, open kitchen cabinet doors, play with the bowls. He/she also played with my children's toys. A bump 'n go train started up, a musical bank played music, a hammer banged on the wood floor continuously.... This all happened around midnight. Every time.

This house I grew up in and we live in now, has a crabby old lady and I know who she is. This place has been in the family through marriage since it was built in 1919, and I was able to place who the spirit is that (a) has shoved me in the dining room (my husband and sister saw my body pushed by an unseen hand), (b) rolled metal balls in the attic, (c) calls "Help! Help!" at night from the top of the stairs.... It's interesting--I always felt she was crabby, even before I found out who is was. Her nephew told me about her a few years ago.

BUT she loves this house. About twenty years ago, when my parents and sister lived here, the attic fan started whirring in the middle of a winter's night. Yet it had been switched off for season. The fan wouldn't stop so they called an electrician. When the electrician went to the attic, he ran right back down and had them call 911. There was a fire in the walls. Yet the switch was still off. The walls behind the tiled bathroom and the attic were burned. She saved the house, and most probably my parents and sister.

ETA: I just realized something. A cranky lady lived here and now a stormy one.

quixote100104
05-03-2009, 04:30 PM
I'm interested. Did you smell anything odd? If so, please describe.
No, I dont recall any odd smells.

Quixote--that was pretty freaky about the guy who shot himself in the men's room.
It freaked us pretty good, even without the possibility of paranormal echoes. He apparently did it in our waiting room because he was an organ donor and wanted to make sure that wed be able to harvest him as quickly as possible. Even handed his drivers license to the volunteer at the desk before going into the bathroom, just to speed things along.

blackrose602
05-03-2009, 05:53 PM
I have several stories, some of which I've shared on other threads. Here's one that ties into AngelRoseDarke's story about her son and the scratches.

In 2000, my then-boyfriend and I moved into an older apartment building in Orlando. The building was one of several whose history was tied together by fire and violence -- the late-1880s through the Depression era were very different than the Orlando you think of today.

Anyway, we lived in a studio while waiting for a one bedroom to open up. A couple of friends were over one night. My boyfriend fell asleep on the air mattress in the corner while the rest of us were watching TV. Suddenly he sits up, screaming incoherently. I turn on the light, and there is a series of four deep scratches across his back. He was nowhere near anything sharp, and if anything was in the bed, I'd think it would have punctured the air mattress.

Also in that apartment, we had a gas stove. We were both young and had been raised in new homes in the suburbs, with electric appliances. So neither of us had any experience with gas. For the longest time, we couldn't figure out how to light the oven. Yet one day, we came home and there was grease/fat pouring out as if overflowing, and running down the oven door. The stuff was thick, smelly, and almost impossible to clean off. We checked the oven and, sure enough, it was not lit.

A few hours later, the boyfriend was sitting on the couch staring at the oven, barely blinking. I tried to talk to him, but it was like he was in a trance. Several minutes later he turned to me and, in a scared voice, said "I know how to light the oven now." He told me he had a vision of a woman lighting it and sticking her head inside.

Some research showed that a young family had lived in that apartment during the Depression. The husband and son had died in a bank fire at another building now known for its paranormal activity. On hearing the news, the wife had committed suicide by sticking her head in the oven.

Needless to say, we didn't stay in the apartment too much longer. I still think about her, though, and wonder why she chose us to learn her story.

One more related to the stories of strange things surrounding someone's death: I moved to New Orleans in 2001, and my parents followed that Christmas. After a horrid evacuation for Hurricane Ivan in 2004, my mom decided she didn't want to spend another hurricane season in New Orleans (very prophetic, given the devastation of Katrina the next year). Both my parents were retired on disability, so they decided to buy an RV, give up their apartment and go on the road full-time.

They took delivery just before Thanksgiving, and decided to stay in a nearby state park through Christmas before taking off. My then-husband and I joined them at the park, sleeping in a tent. Soon a group of apparently stray white cats decided to adopt us. Though we've always been animal lovers, my dad, my husband, and I were all wary of the cats. Something just seemed off, or not quite right with them. Mom adored them. Due to Dad's allergies, she couldn't let the cats inside the RV, but she could often be found giving them milk or just sitting and petting them with a far-off look in her eyes.

One night I sat bolt upright in the tent, wide awake. It was around 4 am. The cats were howling, just screaming in a way I have never heard before (and I've owned cats practically since I was born). They woke my husband up too. For some reason, we both got the urge to go into the RV, but we decided it was stupid and went back to sleep.

It turns out, Mom passed away that night from sleep apnea. Estimated time of death? 4 am. The cats stuck around for another day or so, and then vanished. Nobody at the state park had seen them, heard them, or knew anything about them. To this day, I wonder what their purpose was. Were they there to help ease Mom's transition? Or were they trying to warn us? Had I gone in the RV that night, would I have been able to save her? Or was it already too late?

Gillhoughly
05-03-2009, 09:48 PM
I'd rather not talk about my experiences (too dark), but one of my friends and my next door neighbor have had some.

My neighbor is sure there's an older man who hangs about in his attic. He could be his son's great grandpap, who keeps an eye on the boy, who had serious heart surgery when he was a baby. Every day is special, as it was a miracle he survived. He's now 13 and going strong.

The old guy doesn't bother them, but every so often the lady of the house notices her closet is out of order and a pair of her sweat pants go missing. They find them in the attic.

-------

One of my pals bought a big house built in the 80s by the architect who designed all the houses in her upscale neighborhood. No deaths occurred in her house, which has had one owner. It has a very large attic which is accessed through a regular sized door in a second floor bathroom. They were going to turn it into a workspace for her artist spouse, but never got around to it.

My friends noticed some oddities they put down to absentmindedness, objects out of place kind of stuff. In the morning she'd find her spouse's electric razor out of the drawer next to the sink, its battery dead.

She bought hubby a new rechargeable shaver. One morning she dragged into the bath (hubby still asleep) to find the shaver on the counter, out of the recharger and buzzing away. She yelled firmly, "Stop doing that!" and there was never a repeat.

When she and hubby went out of town they hired a friend--I know her and she's a level-headed type--to house-sit. My pals have a fantastic media room, so the sitter spent most of her time there watching movies projected on a 10-foot square screen with an amazing sound system.

While enjoying a classic, the sitter saw a man cross between her and the screen, walking from one side of the room to the other. He was a dark silhouette, very solid.

She didn't at first register this as odd until she remembered she was alone in the house.

About two seconds later, IT was alone in the house!

She grabbed her purse and bugged out, barely pausing to lock the door with shaking fingers. She only went back when it was high noon and brought a friend with her. The next activity she reported was when she used that upstairs bathroom and heard someone scratching on the attic door next to her. She discounted it as being squirrels until the shadow incident.

The house owners don't mind having a presence in their home, so long as he doesn't mess with their stuff. When they hire anyone new to come in and sit or clean the place they loudly announce to *whoever* that the visitor is welcome in the house, please don't bother 'em.

I call him Harvey. :D

wannawrite
05-03-2009, 10:19 PM
I lived across from a cemetary and a civil war ghost kept groping my butt every night, does that count? Seriously. Mom is a psychic, the 'higher self' reikki kind. The butt grabbing got to bothering me, and I had her contact him. She told me he was lonely. I told her to tell him that I already had a boyfriend. I didn't, but he was dead, so I figured he wouldn't find out. He left. Just one of many very weird and very strange things that have happened in my life. Just bear in mind, not all visitations are scary. Most are pretty ho-hum. Just because it is surreal does not make it frightening, fascinating or dangerous. Ghosts are, after all, simply entities. A boring person makes a boring ghost, etc... A rude butt-grabber in life is a rude butt-grabber in the afterlife, as well, it turns out.

Manix
05-03-2009, 10:56 PM
Oh, Blackrose, I am so sorry to hear about your mom passing away like that. Don't blame yourself. We never understand why these things happen to us--they just happen. I don't know what the cats were there for, but I have always believed (I know I'm a bit strange, I admit it...) that animals are either in touch with the spirit world in a unique way, or are even ministering spirits sent to offer comfort and encouragement. I know many people who have been comforted by pets, dogs, cats, etc, that have come to them during a moment of crisis and seemed to "understand."

Gillhoughly, I laughed about Harvey. That's just awesome! I always get a chuckle out of people who can accept the paranormal with a sense of humor. Just like "Great Aunt Bessie" stories, about things we don't understand but just put up with like crazy relatives!!;)

Wannawrite, I laughed even harder about your ghost story! Quote: "A boring person makes a boring ghost, etc... A rude butt-grabber in life is a rude butt-grabber in the afterlife, as well, it turns out." QFT!:D

These stories are fantastic!

Gillhoughly
05-04-2009, 02:14 AM
Try this story from James Thurber's My Life and Hard Times, 1933.

The Night the Ghost Got In (http://www.dallasisd.org/rnwexpress/episodes/episode1/night_the_ghost_got_in.pdf).

This doesn't include the hamster that liked to snooze on their zither or the auntie who was convinced that electricity leaked from wall outlets unless you plugged them up.

Who needs a ghost with family like that?

Blackrose--not your fault, it was her time. The cats delighted her, then went off when it was time to be elsewhere.

From my own family, my sister was 300 miles away in an ER with one of her kids getting stitches (minor mishap) when she saw our dad the day after his passing. She saw him at the end of a hospital corridor dressed in the distinctive orange coveralls he wore when working on cars. He was visible for just a moment, but she said he looked happy.

I never saw him, but felt his presence strongly a couple months later. I was driving in a really bad section of an unfamiliar city getting low on gas and starting to panic. No cell phones then, no map, no money for gas, my heart was in my throat, and I was really, REALLY missing him.

Then I felt that he was suddenly in the passenger seat, and I could hear his voice in my head: "Calm down, sugar bun, just turn left here and keep going straight."

I did, and it got me back on a familiar road.

He was the only one who ever called me that.

Manix
05-04-2009, 03:07 AM
Gillhoughly, that story was hilarious about The night the ghost got in! Thanks for posting. :D And very cool about your dad.

Alitriona
05-05-2009, 01:13 PM
I have a story too, not scary. I've been through a couple of really bad relationships that my family really didn't approve of and they were always right. About 3 years ago while happily single for a change but attempting to help my friend meet someone I signed up for internet dating. I didn't have much interest in meeting anyone myself but the same guys picture popped up all the time. Eventually we got talking and after a few months I reluctantly agreed to meet.

He lived about 150 miles away and on the night I was driving up I was nervous. The radio was on and Ave Maria came on, My mums favorite song. SHe had passed away due to a medical blunder years ago. Anyway I breathing became erratic and everything was suddenly in slow motion. It was very strange because I could feel it, It was almost like I was about to pass out but I wasn't. I felt clear headed and wide awake. I sensed someone was in the seat beside me and turned to look but there was no one, yet when I looked in the side mirror and from my side vision I could see my mum sitting there clear as day. I turned again and couldn't see her but she continued to sit there only visible when I wasn't looking directly at her. I remember thinking I'm either about to die or she's here to give her approval. She sat with me for the whole song and then disappeared, everything returned to normal.

When I made it to my destination safely I decided it was approval rather than a death warning. I told the guy Iwas meeting within 2mins of meeting that I thought my mom had picked him for me and what happened in the car. He didn't flinch at all and 2 and half years later we are still together and get along so well we could have been made for each other. I think my mom helped me find him and was there to make sure I didn't chan97ge my mind and go home that night, which I was considering.

cherubsmummy
05-06-2009, 05:17 AM
My niece was born on the first anniversary of my father's death. She was a surprise pregnancy. There was a rocking chair in the corner of the nursery and her crib was in another corner. Frequently when she cried at night my sister would go into the room to find the rocking chair right up besdie the crib. She injured herself a few times crashing into it in the dark.

Another niece, the daughter of my other sister, knows songs her mother hasn't taught her; songs my father sang. She told her mother that "my grandfather told me them".

pmadams
05-08-2009, 10:00 PM
I had an "encounter" at Big Ridge State Park in Tennessee. I am not a ghost hunter or anything like that, but I was walking a trail there and saw a man fishing. He was wearing a red plaid shirt and a cap. he waved but didn't say anything. I took a picture a few minutes later farther up the trail of a tree. I took it with a digital camera. Later, when I looked at the picture, there was a man's face there where the tree was. It looked like the same man I had seen earlier. I later found out that visitors have been seeing this same man for hundreds of years. I sent the picture in to the office and I guess they still have it. You can probably google "Ghost at Big Ridge State Park" and get some information on this. I know there was rumored to be a ghost of a man named "Maston Hutchison" (Sp?)
If I can be of further help, let me know.

Siddow
05-08-2009, 10:21 PM
Do you have the picture? I'd love to see it.

CarolSanDiego
05-08-2009, 11:06 PM
I started out reading this thread thinking nothing even close to this has happened to me. I tend to write everything off as coincidence, my imagination, or something with a perfectly logical explanation that I just haven't found. Besides, the stuff gives me the creeps.

But there was this one thing that I've never been able to explain in any other way besides some sort of sixth sense, paranormal, psychic...who knows:

I had a strange dream one night - I was walking along a sidewalk and something approached me. It was a huge being wrapped in a billowy black cloak and floating toward me with an intensity and speed that took my breath away. I tried to get out of the way but there was nowhere to go. The thing passed me and its cloak brushed against the side of my body. I woke up with a gasp and found I was sitting up. It took me a while to fall asleep again, and I remember looking at my clock for some reason. I tried to dismiss it - it felt so cliche - like a literal brush with death. Yet I had this urge to call my parents to make sure they were okay. I didn't - I decided it was my imagination running wild and I didn't need to wake poor mom and dad.

The next morning, my dad called to tell me that he'd rushed mom to the hospital the night before with appendicitis, and she'd had an emergency appendectomy. They'd gone there right at the time I'd had my dream.

She fully recovered, thank God.

Manix
05-09-2009, 05:13 AM
I tried to dismiss it - it felt so cliche - like a literal brush with death. Yet I had this urge to call my parents to make sure they were okay. I didn't - I decided it was my imagination running wild and I didn't need to wake poor mom and dad.

The next morning, my dad called to tell me that he'd rushed mom to the hospital the night before with appendicitis, and she'd had an emergency appendectomy. They'd gone there right at the time I'd had my dream.

She fully recovered, thank God.

Yes, thank God she recovered. Fascinating.

pmadams
05-10-2009, 05:43 PM
Do you have the picture? I'd love to see it.

I am in the process of trying to get the picture back. As soon as I have it, I will let you take a look. It is so clearly a man's face. He has a beard and a cap on and it looks like he has a red flannel shirt on, the same as the man that I saw on the bank of the lake fishing.

Alitriona
05-11-2009, 12:48 AM
I had an experience last night. My partner and I were staying in a hotel, it was a big room with a full lenght mirror oppisite the open bathroom door . My partner left the room to smoke outside and while he was gone I was putting some stuff away when I suddenly got the feeling I wasn't alone. I don't know why but I was afraid to look in the mirror when I passed it. I didn't say anything to him about it when he came back. When I asked how he slept this morning, he said he didn't sleep well at all because he woke during the night and thought he heard someone in the bathroom and the light going on. When he looked around a light flashed. He was a little creeped out when I said I felt something too. Very strange.

StephanieFox
05-11-2009, 02:53 AM
I don't know if I'd call this 'paranormal.' I think people still sense things outside of the conscious five senses from back when we were hunter/gatherers and sometimes other animal's prey. So, here goes...

I was having a dinner party in my tiny apartment in the 'bad part of town.' I was in the kitchen finishing up cooking when suddenly the hair on the back of my neck stood on end. I felt in near panic, but there was nothing wrong. Friends were in the living room chatting and drinking wine. The food was bubbling on the stove.

I couldn't shake the feeling. I looked out the window and went on the back porch to see if there was anything wrong there. There was nothing. One of my guests came in and I mentioned the feeling but he didn't sense what I was sending. I tried to shake it off and continued with the party, but there was a foreboding.

The next day I discovered that a man had been stabbed about a block from my house and had made it to the crossroads two houses down before he collapsed and died. I'm sure that it was his death that I was feeling. I've had a few other experiences with dead people, but the others were not frightening like this was.

This is true. I hope this is the kind of thing you wanted. By the way, I don't believe in ghosts.

southernwriter
05-11-2009, 07:42 AM
I've had so many experiences, we'd be here all night. Just to shorthand it, I sold a couple of them, so I can't reprint them here, but you can go read them if you want:

The Andrews Street House (http://firefox.org/news/articles/34/1/The-Andrews-Street-House/Page1.html)

The Bennett Street House (http://firefox.org/news/articles/38/1/North-Bennett-Avenue/Page1.html)

Incidentally, my sister was born when we lived in the Andrews Street house. She went to check it out a couple years ago, and it's been torn down. All the other houses in the neighborhood are still there, but not that one. You can Google Earth it if you want. The address was 1319.