PDA

View Full Version : Beta reader needed for literary novel

VTwriter
04-30-2009, 12:48 AM
I have a 70,000-word novel that's been through one beta reader and I'm looking for at least one other volunteer.

I'm not sure how we go about determining who might be a good fit with me, but I'm open to suggestions. I'm not looking for a line-by-line edit (although pointing out anything obvious is always appreciated). What am I looking for is general feedback about pace, dialog, character development, etc. I'd also prefer someone who can do this relatively quickly, maybe within a week or two.

If you're interested, drop me a reply and maybe we can converse and see if what works out.

Thanks,

Bill

VTwriter
05-11-2009, 06:15 PM
Hmm, no takers so far. Do most people get a beta reader from responses to these requests or does it work better to search out the volunteers and approach them privately?

Perhaps it would help if I provided the blurb for my novel (from my query):

While reeling from the recent discovery of his wife's affair, Charlie Waters went on a business trip to Los Angeles and disappeared for six weeks. Lacking any identification or belongings, he then emerged from a coma in a Miami hospital suffering from a gunshot wound to the head and having no memories of the previous few months.

Two years later, Charlie is still haunted by his wife's affair, and he's just staggering through his daily life. When he begins to have erotic dreams and flashbacks about a beautiful, young woman, he realizes he probably has his own secrets to confess. The memories of this woman overflow with sex, passion, and a happiness that seemed like a dream. When additional flashbacks of greed, suicide, and murder begin to return, Charlie struggles to understand how this dream became a nightmare.

Charlie begins to unravel as he becomes unsure of his past actions and his own sense of identity, while suffering from recurring flashbacks of a gun firing the bullet into his brain. As Charlie struggles to reconnect with his wife and form some sense of a life again, he knows he can't find happiness until he comes to grips with his past.

archerjoe
05-11-2009, 07:56 PM
I'd suggest enticing us with a one to two thousand word excerpt on SYW (share your work). If people really like it, you'll find more interest in beta reading. Remember to give rep points to those giving helpful feedback.

askcb
05-11-2009, 08:10 PM
I'd be interested in taking a look for you. I have zero experience as a beta, but if I can help out a fellow writer that would be great, plus, I think critting others is a good way to help my own writing. You can see the first chapter of my WIP in Literary SYW if it helps you decide. :)

Sargentodiaz
05-11-2009, 10:53 PM
I agree about giving us the first 4 or five pages. If it fits my likings, I'd be willing to give it a shot.

VTwriter
05-12-2009, 03:56 AM
I posted my first chapter in SYW, in Mainstream/Contemporary.