PDA

View Full Version : So, how are they related?

Project nachonaco
04-29-2009, 06:01 PM
OK, we got this girl, Jessie.

Jessie married Steve.

Steve's sister Amelia married this very influential dude.

Very influential dude (as in, important to the story) has a daughter.

Jessie is raising her niece.

How are Jessie's niece and the influential dude's daughter realated?

Thanks.

qwerty
04-29-2009, 06:16 PM
How are Jessie's niece and the influential dude's daughter realated?

They aren't (that's aren't, not aunt)

Dude's daughter is Jessie's Sister-in-law's step-daughter - right?

Jessie's neice doesn't have an official/blood relationship with her. I reckon the nearest you could get is step-cousin once removed.

Project nachonaco
04-29-2009, 06:18 PM
They aren't (that's aren't, not aunt)

Dude's daughter is Jessie's Sister-in-law's step-daughter - right?

Jessie's neice doesn't have an official/blood relationship with her. I reckon the nearest you could get is step-cousin once removed.

Dude's daughter is Jessie's sister-in-law's actual daughter.

RJK
04-29-2009, 06:33 PM
Jessie is Dude's daughter's aunt by marriage. No blood relation, but a legally recognized relationship in many jurisdictions.

Project nachonaco
04-29-2009, 06:35 PM
Jessie is Dude's daughter's aunt by marriage. No blood relation, but a legally recognized relationship in many jurisdictions.

Which would make Syd (Jessie's birth niece, the one she's raising) and Nora (dude's daughter) cousins by law?

qwerty
04-29-2009, 06:39 PM
So Dude's daughter is also Amelia's daughter?

That make's her Jessie & Steve's neice.

Which I think makes her a cousin of Jessie's neice. Because Jessie's neice would also be Steve's neice.

Project nachonaco
04-29-2009, 06:42 PM
So Dude's daughter is also Amelia's daughter?

That make's her Jessie & Steve's neice.

Which I think makes her a cousin of Jessie's neice.

Bingo. Thank you. My head hutrs a little less.

....Which means I have (one way or another) made every character related to another. I don't know if that makes me awesome, thorough, or sick in the head.

(brief explanation: Now that I've thought of this, this ties together the Lipsky/Sandber/Eltrain family branches and the Eltrains have adopted one of the Delacroix kids (Del's the third family, I don't count the Lipskys because only the daughter is shown for most of the novel, she's basically in the Sandber family)

And....now my head is back to hurting. :o

qwerty
04-29-2009, 06:45 PM
Oops - that "brief explanation" has just done my head in!

Project nachonaco
04-29-2009, 06:47 PM
Oops - that "brief explanation" has just done my head in!

I have Tylenol, want to share? :D

I wonder if my crazy family tree is going to interest an agent or skeer them away.....

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-29-2009, 06:54 PM
:OFG wanders in:

:eek:

:OFG wanders out:

Fern
04-29-2009, 08:10 PM
Who are the parents of Jessie's niece?

If the man's daughter is by a former marriage, which is the way I took the first post, the girls would not be kin at all. . .

UNLESS, the niece Jessie is raising is a child of Amelia's. Then they would be step-sisters.

melaniehoo
04-29-2009, 08:13 PM
I have lots of step-cousins. I'd go with that.

qwerty
04-29-2009, 09:07 PM
Just to confuse things further: If I've got this right, Amelia (mother of Dude's kid) is Steve's sister and Jessie's SIL.

So, if the neice Jessie brings up is the daughter of one of her own siblings, the two kids are not cousins because they don't share the same grandparents. Which would take us back to them not being related.

Take a look at this, PN, but take a pill first:

http://www.genealogy.com/16_cousn.html

http://smileys.on-my-web.com/repository/Confused/stupid.gif

FennelGiraffe
04-29-2009, 10:15 PM
The thing is, "related" means different things in different contexts.

What's their biological relationship? Nothing at all.

What's their legal relationship? That's going to vary depending on what country they're in. It's probably undefined in most countries, except for questions of inheritance or who someone's "next of kin" is. But that most likely wouldn't matter unless everyone in-between were already dead. Then it could also matter whether Jessie legally adopted her niece or just has custody of her.

But I expect you're really asking about their common, everyday social relationship. That's mostly going to depend on the family's cultural background, what their attitude is about "proper bloodlines", and so on. It also may depend on how old the two are. If they were both in their late teens or older when this all came into being, they may not feel related at all. If they're young children, or it's been going on since they were young children, they may have a close connection.

I imagine most families would consider them to be step-cousins. Some families reject the "step-" distinction, though, and would just call them cousins.

Maryn
04-29-2009, 10:58 PM
Two things are not clear to me. Here's what I do understand.

Jessie and Steve are a couple. Amelia and Dude are a couple. Steve and Amelia are siblings, brother and sister born to the same parents.

Dude has a daughter. I don't know who her mother is. Could be Amelia. Could be some other woman. If Amelia is the mother, then Dude Daughter is Jessie's (and Steve's) niece. If Dude Daughter was born to some other woman, there is no blood relation to Jessie or Steve.

Jessie has a niece. Niece's parents are either Jessie's sibling and mate, or Steve's sibling and mate. Assuming this Niece is not the same person as Dude's Daughter, who Niece's parents are makes all the difference.

Most people who meet the girls will not want to draw a genealogy chart. Generally the families just agree on a term, such as step-cousins (if Amelia is not Dude-Daughter's mother) or even second cousins (which is just plain wrong--but commonly used).

Maryn, who's studied this stuff a bit

Ms Hollands
04-30-2009, 12:28 AM
ARGH!

:e2thud:

My head just exploded.

This is surely too complicated to make a reader understand while trying to take in fiction too.

jannawrites
04-30-2009, 04:32 AM
But, I think the question is, who's on first?

LAWolf
04-30-2009, 04:57 AM
I'd go with cousins ---or the Yiddish term machetuneste (a female relative through marriage).