Not open for further replies.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
How do you allocate the time you spend on novels vs. short stories? Do you write short stories as a mind-clearer between novel drafts? Write both at the same time? I'm trying to figure out a workable schedule so I can get both my novel and my short stories written without my head exploding. Thanks!

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I write everything ongoing. I don't time manage anything. If an idea for a short story arises, I simply write it. I've written them in a matter of a couple of hours. The last one I wrote was like that. I haven't done one for a while, but that one was submitted right after I wrote it and published about 3 or 4 months later in an anthology. I often write them based on calls for submissions...since they only take a few hours of my time to complete. Otherwise...no special schedule.

JamieMT

Lurker in the Corner
Registered
Reaction score
Website
jamiedebree.com
I've recently been allocating my nights (I write in the evenings after work) to specific tasks in order to make sure everything gets the time it needs.

Monday: Serial blog novel chapter
Tuesday: Novel editing
Wednesday: Blog essay, and novel draft writing (new novel)
Thursday: Serial blog novel chapter
Friday: Book review & novel editing
Saturday: Short story writing/editing (I have more time on Sat. evenings)
Sunday: Blog essay and novel draft writing (draft from Weds)

I'm sure it seems rigid for people who don't like schedules/routines, but I keep track of it all on my PDA, and it works to both keep me working on "stuff", and also prevent me from getting bored working on just one or two things. So far it's working great...

NicoleMD

Onomatopotamus
Registered
Reaction score
I've got about 10 short stories brewing in my mind, but I promised myself I wouldn't start any new work until I finish this draft of my novel. I don't want to get distracted and not finish it. When I'm done, I'll spend a few months cranking out some short stories while I edit the novel. Then back to noveling in November.

I had to resort to separating my time because last year, I got a ton of short stories written but failed to complete any longer works. I do allow myself to edit short stories while I'm noveling to break things up some. Just no new stuff.

So far so good! Good luck to you figuring something out. I don't want your head to explode. :)

Nicole

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
I write short stories when I'm not working on my novel, like if I'm waiting for revision notes or just letting it simmer for a bit. Or if I need a break from the same old characters. I admit, my short stories have been neglected lately.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I go back and forth as I feel like it. Since the novel is such a large project, it tends to take over my life and brain for days or even weeks at a time while I plug away at it. When there's a lull in writing the novel (indecision, boredom, I hate it but don't know why, etc.) then I'll work on a short story.

My shorts certainly languish when I really got into novel writing last year. About all I managed at the time was a couple flash pieces and finish some already-started shorts. But this year, I'm (inadvertently) getting better at shifting gears between stories. I keeps me writing more consistently-- fewer days with no words because I'm trying to work through a problem. Though, I do limit myself on the number of stories going at once. I had three when I started thinking of the new novel, but put off the novel until I finished one of the shorts. Nothing wrong, I think, with a little WIP polygamy, but let's keep it reasonable.

Soccer Mom

Crypto-fascist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I write short stories when I'm not working on my novel, like if I'm waiting for revision notes or just letting it simmer for a bit. Or if I need a break from the same old characters. I admit, my short stories have been neglected lately.

Here. This saves me the trouble of actually scripting a reply. This is what I do.

Phaeal

Whatever I did, I didn't do it.
Registered
Reaction score
I keep short storie bunnies in a nice hutch, with plenty of alfalfa and carrots. They tend to breed in there, which makes for more bunnies, with nice hybrid genes.

Between novel drafts, I work on the shorts. I'm starting marketing of my just completed WIP novel, as well as research for the next one. Short stories written simultaneously keep my hand in on actual composition, plus give me more shots at the coveted big markets. F&SF and Asimov's, I'm still laying siege to you. That's my little barbarian tent over there, at the foot of your north tower, and I laugh at boiling oil and arrows. Muhahaha-ouch-ha!

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
I had to resort to separating my time because last year, I got a ton of short stories written but failed to complete any longer works. I do allow myself to edit short stories while I'm noveling to break things up some. Just no new stuff.

I'm afraid to fall into this trap. My novel WIP has been resting for only 6 weeks, so I maybe I'm worrying for no reason. Still, I think putting together a schedule will help me avoid getting caught up in writing shorts at the expense of novels. It's so easy for me to slip into instant gratifiatication mode!

Thanks to everyone for the tips so far!

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I copy Wendy. (Sh, don't tell her.) I'll be writing on my novel, and when it or I need a rest, I write short stories. In one of my two genres, the short story market is all but gone, or I'd never have tried novels in the first place.

Maryn, close on Wendy's heels (eek!)

fringle

always abroad
Registered
Reaction score
I don't write short stories, but I am working on a novel and an MG. I start out writing the novel in the morning and I write until I run out of steam. Then, I have a snack and get going on the MG. It's working out really well for me and I'm managing to fit more writing hrs in this way.

Stijn Hommes

Know what you write...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.peccarymagazine.5u.com
I write a short story whenever I feel I have it planned out sufficiently in my head no matter what other writing I am doing at that moment. It's a way to recharge your novel battery while still churning out pages... I see them as a fun distraction that can make some money if you send them to the right market.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
I've been primarily a short story writer, and I continue to have a fondness for the torrid intimacy of short fiction.

I'm graduating to novels but I don't think I'd ever like to loose touch with short fiction.

seun

Horror Man
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.lukewalkerwriter.com
Generally, I write books. When one's finished, I write a few short stories before starting my edits of the books. On the other hand, I'll put a book to one side to write a short story if the idea has to be written then.

Cassidy

writing for kids and teens
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinstevenson.com
Do you write short stories as a mind-clearer between novel drafts?

Yes, this is exactly what I do. Short stories or short hi-lo teen novels. I seem to need a bit of a break before jumping into another novel length project. Though sometimes my short stories have ended up turning into novels...

talkwrite

Passion in full bloom
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linguisticworld.com
I find that the conveyor belt effort on my short stories ( write, edit, take to critique group, rewrite, take to critique group, rewrite, submit) serves as motivation to the extended version for the chapters of my novel. Since they both exhibit my writing style I feel I am getting concentrated help and advice on my shorts that is very useful for my novel writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.