Pandemic -- what can you do to prepare?

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Hi, folks,

I know, not a cheery and playful topic for Office Party. But, hey, it is an important one given what is going on in the world right now.

The 1918 Spanish Flu was a worldwide pandemic. One fifth of the world's population was infected within the 2 years it ran its course. Unlike other flu strains, it was most deadly for people 20 to 40 years of age. In the US alone, an estimated 675,000 people died. Stanford

The experts are preparing for a worst case scenario. Estimates under this scenario are 2 million dead, and an inability of services to keep up. AP -- Worst Case

So what things can each of us do to make sure we will be ok if the worst case scenario happens?

Here are my thoughts:

Educate yourself. Know the symptoms of the swine flu. High fever, coughing, aches in a person's bones... if you have these symptoms, stay home. Know the emergency plan of action for your community in case of an outbreak. The US CDC has a pandemic action plan. You might want to look at it if you live in the US to see what the government's actions will be, so you can properly prepare. I don't know what the other countries have for their action plans. Do some research, find out what is planned in your area of the world.
CDC Swine Flu
Pandemic Flu
WHO Pandemic Alert Level

Have at least a two week supply of food on hand. A month's supply is better in case stores are closed down. Also, have a month's supply of any prescription meds on hand. Don't forget your animals -- they need to eat too. Make sure you have all the items you use on a daily basis, toothpaste, toilet paper, kleenex, etc. stocked up. If the pandemic happens you may be asked to remain in your house so make sure you have everything you need on hand to last until you are allowed to go to the store again.

Also have on hand anything you would need if you get sick with the flu. For instance, I don't normally drink soda but when I have the flu Seven-up or Ginger Ale is sometimes the only thing I can hold down. I am getting a case of soda and sticking it in the basement, just in case. It won't go bad, so it makes sense to have it on hand. If I haven't used it by the 4th of July, it can be used for the 4th of July party. :) Surgical masks, and hand sanitizer that is at least 60% alcohol, and a disinfectant for cleaning areas of your home. Bleach is effective and cheap.

Be aware that a person who has come in contact with a person who has the flu will also be quarantined even though they are not ill. Make sure you have plans in place for who will care for a family member who contracts the flu.

Any one else?

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
5349989821747660792-fp.jpg

This is all I've got.

Now I need to watch out for pigs and/or pig zombies?

veinglory

volitare nequeo
Self-Ban
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.veinglory.com
Wash your hands. Avoid entering areas where the disease is poorly controlled. If you must enter these areas wear a mask. When a vaccine becomes available, get one.

That is really it.

the odds are this will decline with summer and reappear in the new flu season, so have the shot before then.

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
Stupid pigs giving everyone the flu. I'm all paranoid now.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Veinglory, as far as I know there is not a vaccine for this strain of the flu. What shot were you referring to?

Matt... nice survival kit. :D

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I have to commute by bus. I think I either need to wear one of those nifty hazmat suits, or else rig up a sanitizing gel shower to decon myself when i get home from work...I'm really curious to see if people start wearing those face masks on their commute.

Voyager

Ribbed for your pleasure.
Registered
Reaction score
I have to commute by bus. I think I either need to wear one of those nifty hazmat suits, or else rig up a sanitizing gel shower to decon myself when i get home from work...I'm really curious to see if people start wearing those face masks on their commute.
They're already doing the mask thing here in Guadalajara, and Mel is starting her own, onereallyscaredlookingwoman campaign in Zihuatanejo. Me, I'm waiting til I can get one to match my lime green Converse.

cray

Superior Life form
Registered
Reaction score
They're already doing the mask thing here in Guadalajara, and Mel is starting her own, onereallyscaredlookingwoman campaign in Zihuatanejo. Me, I'm waiting til I can get one to match my lime green Converse.

just stay home, kiddo. we need you. you're one of a kind!

well, when i say 'you' i really mean 'your lime green converse.'
:D

eta: hello voy :)

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Veinglory, as far as I know there is not a vaccine for this strain of the flu. What shot were you referring to?

Matt... nice survival kit. :D

The flu shot each year is different and is based on the strains which they think are most likely to pose a problem in that given year so there is a good chance, if they are able to create a vaccine for it, that it would be included in next year's shot (if it's not rushed ahead).

I don't mean to downplay the situation but I'm almost as concerned about people panicking as the virus itself. The media is throwing around references to 1918 with merry abandonment.

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
just stay home, kiddo. we need you. you're one of a kind!

well, when i say 'you' i really mean 'your lime green converse.'
:D

eta: hello voy :)
Hey, hey, Cray. Feel my forehead, do I have a fever? :D

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'd rather shop for a coffin than listen to one word the media has to say about this. I don't believe it, it's that simple. SARS was the next pandemic and them Avian flu. I'd rather die than sit around afraid all the time.

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
I'd rather shop for a coffin than listen to one word the media has to say about this. I don't believe it, it's that simple. SARS was the next pandemic and them Avian flu. I'd rather die than sit around afraid all the time.
I agree. They are causing such a commotion here in Guadalajara, yet they have not one confirmed case of influenza in the entire state of Jalisco. It's bad enough that they've shut down the school and my kid has no classes until at least the sixth, I'll be damned if we're going to lock ourselves up in the house on top of that. She'll make me nuts.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
The flu shot each year is different and is based on the strains which they think are most likely to pose a problem in that given year so there is a good chance, if they are able to create a vaccine for it, that it would be included in next year's shot (if it's not rushed ahead).

I don't mean to downplay the situation but I'm almost as concerned about people panicking as the virus itself. The media is throwing around references to 1918 with merry abandonment.
Currently the experts can't plan for the spread because they have not been able to get the information from the Mexican government they need to figure out how the flu was contracted in the first place or its vector for transmission. They need more information than they currently have to create a vaccine for it, and a vaccine at the minimum takes 6 months to make.

I am less concerned about people panicking. People are in denial. I have noted, here in the US at least, a definite tendency to act as if there are no threats at all to worry about. The US government has issued a recommendation to the entire US populace to have a 3 day emergency pack on hand at all times in case of a disruption of services. Who does it? I imagine if you asked someone walking down the street they would not have heard of such a thing. I live just outside the radiation zone (a few houses away -- like radiation can read, uh huh) should the local nuclear power plant melt down or have a 'release'. People are sent information in the mail every year what to do in the event of a meltdown and what to have on hand, just in case. I could walk up the street and talk to my neighbors now. Most would not have a clue.

Encouraging one another to do what each person can to be prepared in the event of an emergency does not spread fear. It makes common sense to do what you can do to take care of your own needs and your family's needs in case of an emergency. The government can't do it. Just look at the people in New Orleans and the gulf coast. Those people are still suffering.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I have only one sage bit of advice:

If you see a zombie - RUN!

Voyager

Registered
Reaction score
We own a ranch north of the city in a rather isolated town called Mexicano. It has pond stocked with fish, fruit trees, a well and a generator and we've stockpiled it with lots of canned goods and potable water. As my grandmother's been saying for days, if it's your time to go, it's your time to go, but that doesn't mean you have to lay down in front of oncoming traffic.

Kathleen42

crushing on fictional characters
Registered
Reaction score
Encouraging one another to do what each person can to be prepared in the event of an emergency does not spread fear. It makes common sense to do what you can do to take care of your own needs and your family's needs in case of an emergency. The government can't do it. Just look at the people in New Orleans and the gulf coast. Those people are still suffering.

That's not really related to my point, though. My point is that the media are drawing comparisons to a pandemic and parallels to 1918 and are bombarding people with it constantly. The ratio of coverage it is receiving (at least in Canada) seems disproportionate.

I'm not saying don't encourage people to be prepared I'm just saying that the media is treating this like a feeding frenzy.

melaniehoo

And thus we begin the edits
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.melaniehoo.com
I've seen people wearing masks here, but mostly workers who have to deal with a lot of people (bus drivers, tellers at the banks, etc). I'm relieved that people are even aware it's going on -- news takes a while to filter in here and I felt like I was living in a time warp yesterday.

That said, I am going to stock up a bit tomorrow because people here (in my town) tend to overreact once they get scared.

eta: Oh, and when you look at a map of where the cases have been found, there is NOTHING on the west half of Mexico, where Voyager and I are, although it does appear to be closing in on her. Our school are closed for two weeks as well.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We own a ranch north of the city in a rather isolated town called Mexicano. It has pond stocked with fish, fruit trees, a well and a generator and we've stockpiled it with lots of canned goods and potable water. As my grandmother's been saying for days, if it's your time to go, it's your time to go, but that doesn't mean you have to lay down in front of oncoming traffic.
That sounds lovely, Voyager. I want to go fishing so bad! lol! Your grandmother is a wise woman. :)

That's not really related to my point, though. My point is that the media are drawing comparisons to a pandemic and parallels to 1918 and are bombarding people with it constantly. The ratio of coverage it is receiving (at least in Canada) seems disproportionate.

I'm not saying don't encourage people to be prepared I'm just saying that the media is treating this like a feeding frenzy.
I have a tendency to tune the media out so I haven't been paying attention to the coverage. I am watching the CDC and other government sites mostly, and the occasional article coming across from the AP.

The media is taking their cue from the government agencies they are talking to on this one. Two days ago President Obama declared a public health emergency for the US after only 20 confirmed cases of the swine flu. We are now up to 65 confirmed cases. The World Health Organization has raised the threat level to 4, the first time since they came up with the measurement, and the EU has issued travel advisories against nonessential travel to Mexico and certain parts of the US. The US has issued travel advisories against nonessential travel to Mexico. The US Government is treating this flu as if it will emerge into a full blown pandemic. The media has no choice but to react.

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I've heard from two sources now that the masks cannot stop this particular virus. It's likely to stop others and you may be healthier for having worn it, but if you are coughed on by someone who's carrying swine flu virus, the mask will offer no additional protection.

I think the tendency to panic has grown unwieldly as media has become more available. When do we barricade our homes, take our kids out of school, load up on not only groceries and meds but ammo, lest our neighbors fail to have prepared?

It's always sensible to have food and toiletry basics, including some complete meals, stockpiled and to rotate the older stuff out as you replace it with new. It's always a good idea to wash your hands several times a day, especially before preparing food or eating. It's always smart to stay away from crowds when something nasty is going around. It's always the thing to do to stay home from work or school if you don't feel well, and to avoid those who appear to be clearly ill.

The expectation that this illness, while serious, is of pandemic proportion seems way premature. Pandemics do happen, but we have no more reason to believe swine flu is pandemic than we did with SARS, or Mad Cow, or the Asian flu of the 80s.

Common sense, people. Common sense.

Maryn, a calming influence

Reaction score
I'm not worried at all. This is another one of those "ZOMG WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE!!!" news items that won't come to anything.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Right now?

231 confirmed cases.

World wide.

This isn't the Andromeda Strain scenario playing out in the media right now, if you ask me.

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score

QFT