PDA

View Full Version : AW handymen/women: help requested!!

Mela
04-28-2009, 08:15 PM
Previous owners had brand new Anderson windows installed in our home in 1998. These windows have a plastic strip on top that makes it impossible to punch anything through it.

I tried to hang up wood shades Sunday and I can't seem to bore, screw, hammer anything through this plastic - translated: I can't get the screws that fasten the shade's hardware through the plastic. Help.

Is there a particular drill bit I can buy that will penetrate?

Wayne K
04-28-2009, 08:33 PM
Sure, just ask the hardware store people. There are drill bits that go through stone and steel.

Medievalist
04-28-2009, 08:36 PM
Is there a particular drill bit I can buy that will penetrate?

Yes. If you can, take a picture of the plastic, and I'd even bring my drill with me to the hardware store.

They'll help you.

GeorgeK
04-28-2009, 08:39 PM
or work around it. Maybe attach a couple pieces of wood to the plasterboard on either side, paint it to match the walls and attach the shades to them. There should be plenty of studs to find around any aperture like that.

nevada
04-28-2009, 08:52 PM
Mela, I suggest you check in the phonebook and find a dealer that sells Anderson windows and ask them. It could be that you shouldn't be drilling through the plastic at all, it might destroy the weatherseal. check with them first before you do anything. You might have to mount the shades on the outside of the frame instead. Always better to check before you start drilling into the plastic parts of windowframes.

Just go to Windows in the yellowpages.

cray
04-28-2009, 08:52 PM
don't take this the wrong way,....
(wrong way. get it? oh wait, i did't say anything yet)

do you have the drill spinning the right way?

i'm just having trouble thinking of a plastic you can't drill through with a regular drill bit.

nevada
04-28-2009, 08:57 PM
i'm just having trouble thinking of a plastic you can't drill through with a regular drill bit.

exactly. most plastic window frames are hollow and can be drilled through very easily. And they shatter very easily too. Which is why i'm thinking she should phone a dealer and find out what to do from them. Ive shattered a few window frames in my day from nails fishhooking when installing window casing and it's not a good thing to do.

Mela
04-28-2009, 09:28 PM
The thing is, old plastic shades used to hang here, so somebody was able to drill holes through the plastic to fasten the hardware, because I just unscrewed that hardware to make way for the new stuff.

And yes, the drill was facing the right way, but it seems the screws aren't penetrating past the plastic

Maybe I'm just not drilling right? But that can't be. I've drilled before ... plenty of things. Hung up curtain rods, put furniture together. So it's gotta be something else.

Maybe I will call the Anderson people.

nevada
04-28-2009, 11:37 PM
there could be metal underneath the plastic in which case you'll need self-tapping screws and you have to push very hard on the drill.

Old Hack
04-29-2009, 12:01 AM
Plastic windows are sometimes supplied with the fittings for blinds etc. already attached: as far as I know (renovation is one of those things we do a lot of) you shouldn't drill into plastic windows if you can avoid it.

Can you (as has already been suggested) fix your window treatments to the wall surrounding the windows rather than to the windows themselves? It might well be safer.