PDA

View Full Version : Are this generation's kids THAT disgusting and disrespectful?

BlueLucario
04-28-2009, 04:39 PM
I had my dad pick me up from college. We went past the "ghettos" and we reached the point where traffic was getting a little heavy. We saw a little kid ride his bike INBETWEEN cars on a green light. He bumped right into my dad's cab, and when my dad passed him the boy flipped(middle finger) him off. That's to the point where I'm extremely pissed off. I'm surprised my dad let him go.

If that was me driving the car, and if that brat flipped me off, I would not hesitate to stop the car and tell him off. If I ran that kid over, I will not pay his medical bills, even if it was like a court order. I don't care if that kid's got a broken leg, someone's paying for the damages to that car.

I begin to wonder if this kid had been raised by gorillas. What kind of swine raised that kid and other teens to be so disrespectful and think it's okay to flip off adults, Rob banks, and break into someone's home.

And that kid was ghetto. I don't like ghetto kids. They are rude, loud, obnoxious and disrespectful. They think the world is their stepping stone, and they use the excuse "racist" to get away with everything.

Ol' Fashioned Girl
04-28-2009, 04:44 PM
It's best not to mess with kids these days, Blue. They're likely to pull out a gun and shoot you. And I doubt that gorillas would raise their children that poorly.

Haggis
04-28-2009, 04:48 PM
There are rude kids of all flavors, Blue, just like there are rude adults of all flavors. It's not exclusive to any particular race.

GeorgeK
04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
Here they're caucasian and do similar things. Thankfully the houses are about 1/2 to a mile apart and most of the houses don't have kids. I think it's the generation and not the race.

BlueLucario
04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
There are rude kids of all flavors, Blue, just like there are rude adults of all flavors. It's not exclusive to any particular race.
I know. I'm not trying to be racist, but I can't stand those kids. I've never seen people this disgusting. I just see those kind of kids as the rudest of them all.

caromora
04-28-2009, 04:53 PM
I don't think it's a generational thing, either. I've worked customer service at a number of places and dealt with just as many rude adult and elderly assholes as young ones.

selkn.asrai
04-28-2009, 04:58 PM
I don't think it's a generational thing, either. I've worked customer service at a number of places and dealt with just as many rude adult and elderly assholes as young ones.

Seconded.

I don't know what the cause of such behavior is--a lot of people are just jackasses. All I know is that I can always see them coming. And that their jackassery confounds me.

thethinker42
04-28-2009, 05:07 PM
This is one of the reasons I'm glad I moved to Japan. Race aside, Americans put up with it a lot more than the Japanese. My husband and I spend a lot of time gritting our teeth on base when people - adults AND kids - are rude and obnoxious. Out in town? Hell, the cashiers at McDonald's treat you like royalty.

Another reason I don't want to leave this place...

Greenify13
04-28-2009, 05:09 PM
Sometimes it is not necessarily how a child was raised but more of how the child was NOT raised. I'm sorry you and your Dad had to experience this, even when the child was also black. But it's NOT about races and it is NOT wholly about generations either.
My youngest brother Beau has epilepsy and is a foul-mouthed creature compared to the rest of us. He is always itching to get into trouble and I wouldn't be surprised if he did something just like that. :( But his mental capacity is greatly different from where it should be.
Sadly there seems to be a constant drop in respect between people (of all age and anything you can think of to divide people up), and when we begin to disrespect each other more, those with children...their children will end up (most likely it seems) worse then their parents about respect.
How can you respect others and people you don't know if you don't grow up (expected)to respect your family and neighbors?
I have seen cases of this as well, and yes sometimes a child or adult is respectful to others and not their family, but sometimes there are reasons for that as well.
I hope you have better days and experiences than that this week! :)

Ken
... just because you are black yourself does not make it okay for you to insult blacks. You need to delete that part of your post, Blue. It is ugly and racist, and reflects badly not only on yourself, but also on others who frequent this board.

BlueLucario
This is one of the reasons I'm glad I moved to Japan. Race aside, Americans put up with it a lot more than the Japanese. My husband and I spend a lot of time gritting our teeth on base when people - adults AND kids - are rude and obnoxious. Out in town? Hell, the cashiers at McDonald's treat you like royalty.

Another reason I don't want to leave this place...
Japan FTW

regdog
Unfortunately rude seems to be considered acceptable and the norm to many people these days. Far too many people seem to have a sense of entitlement that the world owes them something and the entire world must cater to them and their every whim.

BlueLucario
04-28-2009, 05:22 PM
... just because you are black yourself does not make it okay for you to insult blacks. You need to delete that part of your post, Blue. It is ugly and racist, and reflects badly not only on yourself, but also on others who frequent this board.
I didn't mean to insult them.

There was also a time I was on the bus, and those kids were extremely loud in the back. There was a cord that requests the bus driver to stop when pulled. And the kids kept pulling it, and when the driver stopped, I can hear those kids in the back laughing. I just feel like they deserve a nice punch in the face. I'm surprised bus drivers can put up with that crap. There was a bus driver that kicked them off the bus for not paying their fare, and pulling that stupid cord.

Kathleen42
04-28-2009, 05:28 PM
And that kid was ghetto. I don't like ghetto kids. They are rude, loud, obnoxious and disrespectful. They think the world is their stepping stone, and they use the excuse "racist" to get away with everything.

Whoooaaaah there cowboy. Kids here do the same thing and they are white middle class.

Was it annoying? Yes. Was it dangerous for both the driver and the kid on the bike? Definitely. But at the end of the day the car (maybe) got a scratch and your dad was flipped off.

GeorgeK
04-28-2009, 05:29 PM
But it's NOT about races and it is NOT wholly about generations either., but sometimes there are reasons for that as well.! :)

True Aholes can easily beget Aholes and so they come in all ages, and sometimes due to medical problems they can't help it.

Ken
04-28-2009, 05:31 PM
... sometimes one just has to exercise patience, Blue. It takes strength of character to do that. Your dad acted exactly as he should have under the circumstances, though I'm not sure the driver of this bus did.

BlueLucario
04-28-2009, 05:34 PM
Your dad acted exactly as he should have under the circumstances, though I'm not sure the driver of this bus did.
Err....I'm curious to know "how so?"

Greenify13
04-28-2009, 05:35 PM
True Aholes can easily beget Aholes and so they come in all ages, and sometimes due to medical problems they can't help it.
I think that was my point! Except that I can ramble on like an Ahole....:)

Bubastes
04-28-2009, 05:37 PM
Err....I'm curious to know "how so?"

By not making a bad situation worse. Telling someone off may feel good, but does it actually improve the situation? If not, then you need to find a more constructive way to handle it. Sometimes that means letting it go and moving on with your life.

BlueLucario
04-28-2009, 05:52 PM
By not making a bad situation worse. Telling someone off may feel good, but does it actually improve the situation? If not, then you need to find a more constructive way to handle it. Sometimes that means letting it go and moving on with your life.
...It's just that. I hate it when people get away with things. I especially hate it when authority lets them go for breaking the rules and being annoying, makes me wonder why there are even rules in the first place.

But really, telling the kid off means he's not getting away with this. I'm calling the cops, suing your parents for the damages to the car. I don't get why people don't do that anymore. They did that to me once.

There was a time where a kid shoved me riding my bike into someone's car, and my parents had to pay for the damages to that little scratch. And I got in trouble with them, possible never riding my bike again. If I ever saw that kid again, I'd beat him up.

Kathleen42
04-28-2009, 05:56 PM

And not labeling a whole group by the actions of a segment of that group.

Case in point. Your father is a cab driver. A cab almost ran me over on my way to work this morning while I was crossing the street at a clearly marked pedestrian crossing. I don't judge your father by the actions of the driver this morning.

Greenify13
04-28-2009, 06:02 PM
Oh my, I honestly didn't think of your Dad being a cab driver, I thought we were discussing a p.o.vs cab like the "cab of a truck"...and such...I am confuzzled now! :)

Wayne K
04-28-2009, 06:10 PM
Kids in the ghetto are no different than anyone else except for their experiences. It doesn't justify their behavior but it does make it more understandable for me. I grew up in a ghetto.

By the time I was a teenager I watched my girlfriend strangled right in front of me and two of my brother's friends were murdered. Violence begets violence. Simple.

What amazes me is when the kids who were raised in decent neighborhoods act that way.

In the ghetto it's bad parenting, it the suburbs it's a syndrome or mental illness. Uh-huh, kids are just assholes sometimes.

Mr Flibble
04-28-2009, 06:11 PM
Blue, when someone is rude to you, your first response seems to be:

I'd beat him up.

I just feel like they deserve a nice punch in the face.

Violence is just an extreme version of rudeness.

Wayne K
04-28-2009, 06:12 PM
And not labeling a whole group by the actions of a segment of that group.

Case in point. Your father is a cab driver. A cab almost ran me over on my way to work this morning while I was crossing the street at a clearly marked pedestrian crossing. I don't judge your father by the actions of the driver this morning.

Was that you?

BlueLucario
04-28-2009, 06:22 PM
Blue, when someone is rude to you, your first response seems to be:

Violence is just an extreme version of rudeness.
The passiveness in me just naturally lets things go, but I don't want to. I want to punish the kid for scratching my dad's car and flipping him off. It's just a sign that he doesn't care. If he apologized, I'd let that go.

mscelina
04-28-2009, 06:28 PM
Blue, hon, at the core of all racism, sexism and sort forth is the willful decision at the part of an individual to classify a group of people as having the same negative attributes.

By the same token, at the core of all adult, mature behavior is the deliberate decision on the part of an individual to think before they act. We all know that you are very young. It will take a few more years for you to develop the ability to think before you act on your initial impulses. I've been in a lot of fights in my time (bartending will do that to you) but I've never started one. I've finished a lot of them.

As you grow older, everything will fall out of its black and white compartments into various shades of gray. That doesn't mean that you're condoning the rudeness or lack of education of other people, but rather that you rise above it--like your father did. Think for just a minute--what would have happened if your father, a grown man, had stopped that cab, gotten out of it and confronted the rude kid on the bike? It's a recipe for disaster on so many levels. Your father did what most adults with mature thinking processes would have done. Although I'm sure the kid pissed him off, he took in the situation, determined what the probably consequences of any confrontational action might be, and decided not to escalate the kid's rudeness with rudeness or violence that initiated from him. There are severe penalties for an adult who allows a confrontation with a minor to escalate in this country.

So the next time a situation like this rises, stop and think for a minute. What reaction is best for the situation. Can violence do anything other than make the situation worse? Can a verbal confrontation lead to anything other than something worse?

Now go give your Dad a hug. Whether he realizes it or not, he helped you to learn a valuable lesson today. :)

backslashbaby
04-28-2009, 06:31 PM
Actually, I cut the ghetto kids (everywhere) some mental slack. Things are rough there, you know? Not that that makes rudeness OK, but Man, the way I get with a migraine or something - what if I had their stressors?

The ones that bother me more are the spoiled, The World Bows To Me folks (of any class). Ironically, considering the OPosting, one of them nearly ran me over hitting me in reverse in a pedestrian zone. She was literally only thinking of herself, but for less understandable reasons, imho.

Wayne K
04-28-2009, 06:35 PM
People say violence never solves anything. I disagree. Violence solves everything. If you like the current world situation follow suit.

Mr Flibble
04-28-2009, 06:59 PM
The passiveness in me just naturally lets things go, but I don't want to. I want to punish the kid for scratching my dad's car and flipping him off. It's just a sign that he doesn't care. If he apologized, I'd let that go.

Punish does not mean necessarily punching them though, or you are worse than they are. Violence won't make him care will it? If you don't condone rudeness you can't condone violence for so little reason either. Because it's worse than a scratch that may have been unintentional or a finger.

Who do I think has worse manners?

Someone who shoves a middle finger up at me cos he think I cut him off?
Or the one who thinks I was rude cutting him off and punches me?

Give you two guesses.

I loathe rude kids,heck rude anybody, and I can and DO give them what for verbally if they try it on me and I think it's warranted to say something. (You'd love what I did to the kiddie at work who repeatedly swore at me)

I don't punch them, because then I've lowered myself to worse than them, and how the F does that help anyone?

I know you haven't given in to it, and that's good. I know you think it might make you feel better if you do - but you won't. And you'll be the one done for assault. There are almost always better ways to get someone....:D

Devil Ledbetter
04-28-2009, 07:26 PM
There are assholes in every generation and across all social classes. And the parents don't have to be swine for the kids to turn out badly. Who here doesn't know any perfectly lovely families that turned out an asshole or two in the kid department?

Who here doesn't know anyone who was a confrontational or self-centered little jerk as a kid or adolescent, but who grew up to be a reasonable adult?

BlueLucario
04-28-2009, 09:51 PM
.. though I'm not sure the driver of this bus did.
What did the bus driver do? He just kicked those brats off the bus. They think it's funny to play "false alarm pulls" on the poor guy.

CaroGirl
04-28-2009, 10:26 PM
You talk about how much you hate that people are allowed to flagrantly break the "rules" all over the place, yet you advocate beating them up and giving them a punch in the face. Doesn't that constitute assault? And doesn't that move from breaking the "rules" into breaking the "law?" You appear to be full of contradiction on this issue.

Pilot
04-28-2009, 10:41 PM

Okay, here comes the jerk of the day (or year or lifetime, as you choose), but I can't help wondering if perhaps we haven't let it go and moved on too many times already. Could that be the problem, the fact that we have done exactly that? Comfortable social intercourse pretty much went by the boards when people stopped standing up for themselves, IMO.

Kmcelhinny
04-28-2009, 10:51 PM
I think that each generation has it's bad seeds. But that doesn't mean there's still not some good ones. :D

That is what we have to focus on. The ones who are rude and jerky? (Kids and grown ups alike) Probably hate everyone and everything--and sadly may never be happy.

Perks
04-28-2009, 10:52 PM
Okay, here comes the jerk of the day (or year or lifetime, as you choose), but I can't help wondering if perhaps we haven't let it go and moved on too many times already. Could that be the problem, the fact that we have done exactly that? Comfortable social intercourse pretty much went by the boards when people stopped standing up for themselves, IMO.I have to agree. You don't have to lose your dignity to point out when someone's been an ass. I believe it's often well worth the minute it takes to call a creep a creep.

Bubastes
04-28-2009, 10:56 PM
Letting someone know that they're being a jerk is different than telling someone off (which the OP wanted to do, and then some). As Perks correctly pointed out, you can let someone know they've overstepped their bounds without losing your dignity. All I'm advocating is being constructive about it. Spending a few seconds letting someone know they're being an ass is one thing. Wasting tons of energy hanging on to the incident is quite another.

Perks
04-28-2009, 11:00 PM
Spending a few seconds letting someone know they're being an ass is one thing. Wasting tons of energy hanging on to the incident is quite another.

Waaaah! But a grudge can be better than caffeine.

Party pooper.

Bubastes
04-28-2009, 11:01 PM
Waaaah! But a grudge can be better than caffeine.

Party pooper.

:D

Mr Flibble
04-28-2009, 11:56 PM
I have to agree. You don't have to lose your dignity to point out when someone's been an ass. I believe it's often well worth the minute it takes to call a creep a creep.

I concur

quickWit
04-28-2009, 11:59 PM
I have to agree. You don't have to lose your dignity to point out when someone's been an ass. I believe it's often well worth the minute it takes to call a creep a creep.

Why were you looking at me when you said that?

:D

BlueLucario
04-29-2009, 12:20 AM
Punish does not mean necessarily punching them though, or you are worse than they are. Violence won't make him care will it? If you don't condone rudeness you can't condone violence for so little reason either. Because it's worse than a scratch that may have been unintentional or a finger.

Who do I think has worse manners?

Someone who shoves a middle finger up at me cos he think I cut him off?
Or the one who thinks I was rude cutting him off and punches me?

Give you two guesses.

I loathe rude kids,heck rude anybody, and I can and DO give them what for verbally if they try it on me and I think it's warranted to say something. (You'd love what I did to the kiddie at work who repeatedly swore at me)

I don't punch them, because then I've lowered myself to worse than them, and how the F does that help anyone?

I know you haven't given in to it, and that's good. I know you think it might make you feel better if you do - but you won't. And you'll be the one done for assault. There are almost always better ways to get someone....:D
I'm not really going to punch him. If that was my car that got scratch. I'd pull over, stop him. Call the cops, and have his parents pay for the damages. And if that brat got hit by a car, I will not pay his medical bills.

Perks
04-29-2009, 12:33 AM
And if that brat got hit by a car, I will not pay his medical bills.

Actually, you probably would. You'd be pissed, but it's hardly a hill to die on, or go to jail over.

Don't get me wrong, casual anti-social behavior is symptomatic of a huge cultural ill, but your insurance won't give a rat's ass at your moral outrage.

My best advice, have a fit, but don't hit the little bastard with your car.

BlueLucario
04-29-2009, 12:35 AM
Actually, you probably would. You'd be pissed, but it's hardly a hill to die on, or go to jail over.

Don't get me wrong, casual anti-social behavior is symptomatic of a huge cultural ill, but your insurance won't give a rat's ass at your moral outrage.

My best advice, have a fit, but don't hit the little bastard with your car.
I meant if the kid ran into the car and got hit. It's his stupidity that got himself hurt.

Riding his bike inbetween cars on a green light puts himself at risk of getting run over.

Mr Flibble
04-29-2009, 12:43 AM
I don't know about the US, but here if it's his fault your insurance won't pay a penny to him. In fact if it's his fault he'll have to pay you.

I know you didn't punch him, but it's a little thing to get so stressed about. A scratch on some paintwork isn't worth all teh anger. It's a scratch. That's all.

Where do you think road rage turns into murder? Because someone gets that het up about lack of manners. Is it worth it? No. But keep your cool. It's not worth the energy to be this pissed off.

I agree that there should be more consideration - I'm a stickler for manners myself - but pick your battles.

If you can keep your head when all about are losing theirs - You'll end up the winner.

Riding his bike inbetween cars on a green light puts himself at risk of getting run over.

Id this a push bike or a motorbike? Cos it's perfectly legal to do that on a motorbike, and even on a push bike if traffic is backed up. Even if it's not, cycles are allowed on the road. Or it is legal here.

Devil Ledbetter
04-29-2009, 12:50 AM
I'm not really going to punch him. If that was my car that got scratch. I'd pull over, stop him. Call the cops, and have his parents pay for the damages. And if that brat got hit by a car, I will not pay his medical bills.He's on a bike. You're going to pull over and stop him how? You can run faster than a kid can pedal a bike? Even if you could stop him, how would you detain him until the cops arrived?

If he were injured and you were successfully sued to cover his medical bills and you refused to pay, it would be your own credit rating you'd kissing goodbye.

You need to think this stuff through.

BlueLucario
04-29-2009, 01:47 AM
MAybe I should just let it go.

Sweetleaf
04-29-2009, 02:01 AM
While I agree that the rudeness is awful and it sucks, I feel the need to point out that Plato said the same thing.

Adults have had a problem with the younger generation for centuries and that's never going to change. However society sometimes needs to.

Clair Dickson
04-29-2009, 02:34 AM
MAybe I should just let it go.

FTW.

You really think a kid who flips off the cars he cuts off gives a flying fig if those drivers get upset? If he did, he wouldn't have done it.

Also consider, that some of those families that raise kids who are jerks like this are places where kids get yelled at for everything (can do no right), get punched in the face by their "loving" family members already, or who's parents don't really (seem) to care if the kids did get punched in the face or run down in the road. This is how they learn to react to the world-- they built walls and develop a skewed moral sense. I feel sorry for them, really.

Don't let it get to you. If you do, you have, unwittingly, continued to make the world all about them. We don't want to reinforce any notions that these sorts of people are the center of the world.

Mythical Tiger
04-29-2009, 03:35 AM
That sucks. So does life. I think it was a little rude to say that about 'ghetto' kids. Not all are like that. I have a friend who's getto, his name is Jimmy. He's 'ghetoo' and the nicest guy I know. He's not an ass like you're implying on all 'ghetto' kids. I understand you're peeved, I would be too. But it doesn't help anything being racist and violent.

Again, I'm sorry. But shit happens and we all have to go through it. Good luck^_^.

~Sam

Silver King
04-29-2009, 03:35 AM
It's hardly ever a good idea to be confrontational with anyone you don't know. I've been on both sides of this issue, having had my ass kicked by strangers when I should've kept my mouth shut (almost died once); and I've popped a few people who had no business giving me any lip who must have surely regretted giving me a hard time.

The point is, don't mess with people you don't know. Ever. You simply have no idea what may be in store for you.

And by all means, refrain from flipping people off. Again, you're just asking for trouble. I mentioned a while ago in another thread how a guy I knew many years ago gave the finger to another driver on the road. The man followed him until he stopped, dragged him out of the car, grabbed his hand and bent the middle finger back until it broke. And for good measure, he broke the other middle finger as well.

It's a hard lesson to learn, but I doubt that guy ever flipped anyone off again.

CaroGirl
04-29-2009, 03:39 AM
I think you should write a story from that kid's perspective. What's his home life like? How was his childhood? Why did he swerve into traffic in front of you that day? What made him give you the finger?

Have him as a sympathetic character if you want. If not, let us hate him. But you have emotion about this incident.

Now write it.

semilargeintestine
04-29-2009, 03:52 AM
It's hardly ever a good idea to be confrontational with anyone you don't know. I've been on both sides of this issue, having had my ass kicked by strangers when I should've kept my mouth shut (almost died once); and I've popped a few people who had no business giving me any lip who must have surely regretted giving me a hard time.

The point is, don't mess with people you don't know. Ever. You simply have no idea what may be in store for you.

And by all means, refrain from flipping people off. Again, you're just asking for trouble. I mentioned a while ago in another thread how a guy I knew many years ago gave the finger to another driver on the road. The man followed him until he stopped, dragged him out of the car, grabbed his hand and bent the middle finger back until it broke. And for good measure, he broke the other middle finger as well.

It's a hard lesson to learn, but I doubt that guy ever flipped anyone off again.

Totally agree with this. My girlfriend's brother lives in Phoenix. One of his friends was cut off on a highway, and so he flipped the guy off. The guy pulled out of the lane and slammed on his brakes until he was behind the friend, and then pulled behind him and started shooting at his car. A bullet went through the friend's entire forearm, destroying his use of his hand. Definitely do not flip someone off.

thethinker42
04-29-2009, 03:58 AM
Totally agree with this. My girlfriend's brother lives in Phoenix. One of his friends was cut off on a highway, and so he flipped the guy off. The guy pulled out of the lane and slammed on his brakes until he was behind the friend, and then pulled behind him and started shooting at his car. A bullet went through the friend's entire forearm, destroying his use of his hand. Definitely do not flip someone off.

Yeah...I flipped someone off in Virginia, and she chased me down and ran me off the road...on the freeway at 70mph.

Road rage is hazardous to one's health.

selkn.asrai
04-29-2009, 04:16 AM
Being honest, I'm jealous of Blue if that is the most angering/offensive thing she's experienced on the road.

Blue: Don't drive in New England. Ever. Or you might be incarcerated. After you've been mutilated. By accident or other-driver wrath.

brainstorm77
04-29-2009, 04:28 AM
kids today or rather teens scare me.

Devil Ledbetter
04-29-2009, 04:47 AM
I think you should write a story from that kid's perspective. What's his home life like? How was his childhood? Why did he swerve into traffic in front of you that day? What made him give you the finger?

Have him as a sympathetic character if you want. If not, let us hate him. But you have emotion about this incident.

Now write it.It sounds like the script for an After-School Special.;) Polite, Sheltered Daughter of a Cab Driver learns poignant lessons about Rude Ghetto Punk's home life and starts a grassroots campaign to Raise Awareness.

Silver King
04-29-2009, 05:06 AM
...Road rage is hazardous to one's health.
I love this line, which reminds me of an incident I experienced as a young driver.

I was in a hurry to get home and some dude in front of me was impeding my progress. I was on his tail, almost glued to it, trying to get him to move along faster. He kept up that slow pace for a long time, even when I flashed my lights and honked the horn. I could see him looking at me through his rear view mirror. I flipped him off and motioned for him to speed up.

We came to a stop sign, and he got out of his car. My first thought was, Holy crap, he looks mad. As I reached to put the car in reverse, another vehicle pulled up behind me, blocking my escape.

As the man approached, I realized he was an older guy about my dad's age, and figured he'd give me a stern talking to. But he had other things in mind. He opened the car door, reached in and grabbed a fist full of my hair, pulled me part way out and slapped me four times across the face, hard and fast. He never said a word, then got back in his car and left.

The woman behind me left her vehicle and came to my aid. She said, Oh my gawd, I saw the whole thing. That was awful. Are you all right?

And just like that, I was cured at a young age of my propensity for tail-gating other drivers and from acting like an asshole on the road. For years afterward I kept a sharp lookout for that driver, bent on exacting revenge. But now I realize he probably saved my life, or at least kept me from being a menace to other drivers.

semilargeintestine
04-29-2009, 05:07 AM
I'm sorry, but that is the coolest story ever.

Wayne K
04-29-2009, 05:14 AM
I love this line, which reminds me of an incident I experienced as a young driver.

I was in a hurry to get home and some dude in front of me was impeding my progress. I was on his tail, almost glued to it, trying to get him to move along faster. He kept up that slow pace for a long time, even when I flashed my lights and honked the horn. I could see him looking at me through his rear view mirror. I flipped him off and motioned for him to speed up.

We came to a stop sign, and he got out of his car. My first thought was, Holy crap, he looks mad. As I reached to put the car in reverse, another vehicle pulled up behind me, blocking my escape.

As the man approached, I realized he was an older guy about my dad's age, and figured he'd give me a stern talking to. But he had other things in mind. He opened the car door, reached in and grabbed a fist full of my hair, pulled me part way out and slapped me four times across the face, hard and fast. He never said a word, then got back in his car and left.

The woman behind me left her vehicle and came to my aid. She said, Oh my gawd, I saw the whole thing. That was awful. Are you all right?

And just like that, I was cured at a young age of my propensity for tail-gating other drivers and from acting like an asshole on the road. For years afterward I kept a sharp lookout for that driver, bent on exacting revenge. But now I realize he probably saved my life, or at least kept me from being a menace to other drivers.

This is why I enjoy my right to bear arms. Reach into my car and you pull back a bloody stump. Slap me and I'll never be done with you. I wish I was grown up enough to see the lesson in it all, but I've been known to teach a lesson or two myself.

Lesson number one: Don't reach into my car.

Lesson number two: Lesson number one is not subject to change.

Silver King
04-29-2009, 05:26 AM
This is why I enjoy my right to bear arms. Reach into my car and you pull back a bloody stump. Slap me and I'll never be done with you.
That's a good point, and I do have a firearm in my vehicle (though I didn't back then). Even so, he moved so smooth and fast toward my car that I didn't have time to think of locking the door or even rolling up the window.

I used to play my options over and over in my head, thinking of what I could have done differently to avoid his big paws. Had I been really quick acting, I could've just smashed into his vehicle and mowed it out of the way to make a great escape.

But at that moment, I was screwed. I knew it, and so did he...

Don Allen
04-29-2009, 05:32 AM
Blue, a couple of things, first you couldn't be more right, I hate black people too, and go figure, I'm white,,,,, YES I"M JOKING,,,,,my point,,,, I worked in the Ghetto of Chicago for a number of years and learned two very important lessons that may be of assistance to you.
First, "Ghetto behavior" is "Ghetto Survival" Yes its rude, its ignorant, it's bad ass, and it's a learned form of existence. It's a way of life, and it's passed down by parents or a parent that is neglectful, ignorant, uneducated, and usually a young young woman.
Ghetto life is survival of the fittest, and the perception of one as indestructible. The child who you encountered has learned that he must fend for himself to earn respect and that a sign of weakness is to be respectful of others. I've seen it first hand, I've gone to these children's funerals, and as much as you want to hate these kids for their behavior you have to understand that there is another side to their story's.

Second, and this may be of practical advice to you, I learned during my time on the streets that whenever you are in areas that are "questionable" you must be aware of all around you and always allow the residents in those places the right of way, regardless if means you have to pull over and let someone pass you. Never be confrontational, and never allow yourself to get caught up in a moment of anger, because even a 10 year old boy on a bike can be caring a semi-automatic pistil, the one I seen a few years back was a poor shot and got most of his head taken off by an older kid who took offense at the lack of respect the younger displayed, I think it was the middle finger as well.

thethinker42
04-29-2009, 05:44 AM
That's a good point, and I do have a firearm in my vehicle (though I didn't back then). Even so, he moved so smooth and fast toward my car that I didn't have time to think of locking the door or even rolling up the window.

I once had a woman get pissed off about something I had done (probably something stupid on my part, like flipping the bird), and she slammed on her brakes in the middle of the road. Stopped dead on a blind curve of a 2-lane road. She got out of her car and came marching up to the driver's side window (which I kept closed AND locked the doors as soon as I saw her get out of her car). I couldn't go anywhere because there was no shoulder and as I said, blind curve.

She came up to the window, started screaming at me, etc. When she finally realized I wasn't going to open the window or unlock the door, she went back to her car and we all moved on.

My brother and I stared at each other for a second, totally stunned. I mean, it was shocking that she'd fly off the handle like that, etc., but she had no idea what she was walking into:

Laid across the backseat were an SKS rifle, an 8 mm Mauser rifle, a 30-30, a .22 caliber pistol, and a shitload of ammunition. At my brother's feet? My 44 magnum and a 9 mm. (We were on our way to the gun range)

That was quite the epiphany for us: When you road rage someone, you really have NO IDEA just how much heat they might be packing.

Fly that bird with extreme caution, folks...

semilargeintestine
04-29-2009, 05:56 AM
Yes. Unless you're willing to be killed or kill someone over flipping the bird, don't.

thethinker42
04-29-2009, 05:57 AM
Yes. Unless you're willing to be killed or kill someone over flipping the bird, don't.

*flips semilarge the bird*

semilargeintestine
04-29-2009, 06:07 AM
Checks Torah to see if "killing Lori" is forbidden. Not finding anything...

Wayne K
04-29-2009, 06:09 AM

I used to play my options over and over in my head, thinking of what I could have done differently to avoid his big paws. Had I been really quick acting, I could've just smashed into his vehicle and mowed it out of the way to make a great escape.

But at that moment, I was screwed. I knew it, and so did he...

Y'know what? You did the right thing SK. I've been in trouble all my life because I don't know how to deal with things the right way.

When someone puts their hands on me I don't have normal reactions. I see every piece of garbage who ever hurt me. I feel what Blue is feeling at moments like he had. I want to hurt someone the way I've been hurt. When it's words that are slung I'm pretty level headed, but when someone gets physically aggressive...I can even let that go sometimes.

It's the one time that I'm not in the mood when I become the guy who will burn the house down because there's a burglar in it.

I wrote a book about it.

semilargeintestine
04-29-2009, 06:10 AM
I pity the man who enters my house without my permission.

brainstorm77
04-29-2009, 06:10 AM

What if he tosses a butterfly on you?

thethinker42
04-29-2009, 06:11 AM
Checks Torah to see if "killing Lori" is forbidden. Not finding anything...

You have to find me first!!! *runs away, waving twin birds in semilarge's direction*

scarletpeaches
04-29-2009, 06:15 AM

I pity the fool.

semilargeintestine
04-29-2009, 06:47 AM
What if he tosses a butterfly on you?

I consider that assault with a deadly weapon and will react accordingly.

semilargeintestine
04-29-2009, 06:47 AM
You have to find me first!!! *runs away, waving twin birds in semilarge's direction*

I pity the fool.

:ROFL:

Sweetleaf
04-29-2009, 08:17 AM
Okay, in all this ugliness, I need to post my nice 'ghetto' story.

Several years ago, my parents were on holiday in LA and got on a bus to go somewhere (no idea where). Anyway, they missed their stop, got lost, and wound up in South Central. They got off the bus, tried to get their bearings and find a taxi. Then my mum found her wallet was missing.

White foreigners lost in south central LA with no money? Frightening.

They went back to the bus stop, my mum in tears and couldn't find it. Then a young black man walked to them, smiled, and handed my mum her wallet. He said that he saw it fall out of her bag as she got off the bus, and a kid had grabbed it, so he chased him down and got the wallet back for her.

My parents were so grateful they tried to give him all the cash in her wallet as a reward, but he refused to take it. He said that his dad was the local pastor and that he just wanted them to know that they (ghetto inhabitants) weren't all bad. My parents made him take the money as a donation to the church.

And the moral is: never judge someone by their location. Good people are everywhere as well as bad. :)

Jcomp
04-29-2009, 08:53 AM
I feel the need to point out that Plato said the same thing.

Word...

bettielee
04-29-2009, 09:03 AM
Kids in the ghetto are no different than anyone else except for their experiences. It doesn't justify their behavior but it does make it more understandable for me.

Violence begets violence. Simple.

What amazes me is when the kids who were raised in decent neighborhoods act that way.

In the ghetto it's bad parenting, it the suburbs it's a syndrome or mental illness. Uh-huh, kids are just assholes sometimes.

Wayne K speaks truth.
I lived in the suburbs, I lived out in the woods with my alcoholic, trailer trash relatives. Different clothes, cars, income, location. Same trashy behavior.

brainstorm77
04-29-2009, 12:36 PM
I consider that assault with a deadly weapon and will react accordingly.
:tongue;)

BlueLucario
04-29-2009, 05:16 PM
He couldn't if he wanted to. Since your friend broke his fingers.

Romantic Heretic
04-29-2009, 07:49 PM
God damn kids these days! How will our species ever survive with these sad creatures replacing us, the good people?

It's not like it was when I was young. We knew the value of courtesy, respect for our betters and hard work. Look at kids now.

Hey! Get off my lawn! (sucks at his teeth)

;)

CaroGirl
04-29-2009, 08:20 PM
Hey! Get off my lawn! (sucks at his teeth)

;)
LOL! That just reminded me of a certain Corner Gas episode where the old geezer yells "Get the eff of my lawn!" And then the camera catches a couple of teenagers on his lawn carrying an incredibly large letter F. Funny stuff!

jodiodi
04-30-2009, 05:48 AM
I get pissed in traffic, but not like I used to. And my husband ... good Lord, he's like a 2 year old in a tantrum when we're in traffic. Everyone but him is stupid, doesn't know how to drive, and needs to get off the road.

I get irritated in traffic, but not like he does. To piss me off, someone has to do something to someone I love or something I care about.

I think the maddest I ever got was in Alaska when we lived on post and some guy next door kept his dog outside and it poured rain for three days. You could hear the poor thing crying all night. I'd pet him when I'd go outside and one day not long after that, he told me not to give his dog any dog treats. I always gave our dogs, the dogs on the other side and his dog a treat when I went out with my dogs. I asked him if he was trying to make him mean, and went back inside. I was livid. My husband asked me what was wrong. I was shaking so hard I could barely talk and all I could say was, "That ... thing next door ...SPOKE to me!" Then I started throwing stuff. I got my meat cleaver out and told my husband, "I'm going to kill him. I will f#$&ing kill him!" At that point, I was screaming at the top of my lungs and I know the guy could hear me. My husband finally disarmed me and went outside to talk to the guy. I just shook for several hours afterward. He hid the meat cleaver and all the guns.

I don't recall ever being that angry before or since. I was pretty emotional then anyway over several family deaths and my own deteriorating health. Still no excuse. But I felt better afterward.

BlueLucario
05-01-2009, 08:42 PM
... sometimes one just has to exercise patience, Blue. It takes strength of character to do that. Your dad acted exactly as he should have under the circumstances, though I'm not sure the driver of this bus did.
What did the bus driver do? He just kicked those kids off the bus. It's annoying to him and to the passengers to hear them pull the bus cord for no reason and laughing about it.

KikiteNeko
05-01-2009, 08:51 PM
Once, as I was preparing to go for a green light, the car behind me flew past me on the shoulder, nearly causing an accident, just to cut me off. It was a minivan with kids in the car.

There's not much you can do. Just honk the horn, let them go, and silently hope they die of crabs.

CaroGirl
05-01-2009, 09:15 PM
There's not much you can do. Just honk the horn, let them go, and silently hope they die of crabs.
You can die of crabs? ew.

scarletpeaches
05-01-2009, 09:41 PM
You can die of crabs? ew.

May raging piles afflict you,
pox and scabies too
and crabs as big as hedgehogs
into your tiddly bits chew.
Then when you're done and buggered
like a worn out, clapped-out wreck,
may you turn inside out through your arsehole
and fall and break your neck.

It would appear that yes, you can die of crabs.

Williebee
05-01-2009, 09:53 PM
You can die of CRABS????

I'm never going to a seafood restaurant again.

KikiteNeko
05-01-2009, 11:21 PM
You can die of CRABS????

I'm never going to a seafood restaurant again.

Not those kind of crabs. Panty-hamster crabs.