PDA

View Full Version : Question about Kindle and pdfs

citymouse
04-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Hello All, I got an email from a reader who downloaded one of my books as an E-book from Diesel.com. When he was unable to open the pdf file he emailed Diesel and they told him that "their" pdf files can't be read with Adobe reader 8.0 or 9.0 but that he needed the Adobe "digital" reader.

As far as I know a pdf is a pdf. Any recent version of Adobe should be able to open any pdf file. Am I mistaken?

To add to this mess. This fellow decided to try and transfer the E-book to his Kindle. He said he got an error message that said the file was 'protected" and couldn't be downloaded. Is it possible that Diesel somehow has added a no copy protection to my book? Also is it possible that Kindle can someway magically detect if a product was not purchased from AMZ and thus refuses it? That seems to be too Orwellian even for me!

None of this makes any sense to me. I've never had a problem with pdf files. I admit I know nothing about Kindle. Maybe if I sell a few more books I can afford one!

Thanks for any input.
C

Twizzle
04-28-2009, 05:25 PM
For the Kindle, only the following attachment types are supported for conversion: Microsoft Word (.DOC), HTML, JPEG, GIF, PNG, and BMP and TXT files.

Good luck.

citymouse
04-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Interesting! I went on Amz and all three of my books are offered on Kindle. However, the E-book format is sold as a pdf. If I request my books on Kindle does the publisher adjust the format or are the books kept in multiple formats for downloading in whichever is needed?
C

For the Kindle, only the following attachment types are supported for conversion: Microsoft Word (.DOC), HTML, JPEG, GIF, PNG, and BMP and TXT files.

Good luck.

Matera the Mad
04-28-2009, 08:06 PM
Demystification -- the customer does not read important information. I just signed up at Diesel and went for the test download. This message pops up just once:

---------------------------
The page at https://www.diesel-ebooks.com says:
Just this once...
We notice you are about to purchase an Adobe encrypted eBook:
* Unlike a generic (.pdf) file, these adobe files (.acsm) are secure eBooks and require you have Adobe's free software for reading ebooks. The security prevents sending the ebook inside an email message and helps authors/publishers sleep better knowing their work can't be stolen. We strongly recommend ensuring your Adobe software is activated before downloading your ebook.
* Handheld devices: At present, Adobe Digital Editions cannot be used on any handheld devices except the Sony Reader PRS-505. But stay tuned, Adobe is actively working to support other platforms and devices.
Printing: Information on whether your title can be printed (and how often and how much) can be found on the product page about your title on our site.
* Adobe Reader titles cannot be returned. Once downloaded, we automatically billed the wholesale cost by publishers per their guidelines. If the Adobe title has not been downloaded, it can be returned to us for a full refund.

* Please signal your understanding by clicking below. If not, you can simply cancel and return to your shopping cart. In the future, you will not see this disclaimer.
OK | Cancel

So the solution is -- off to the Adobloat site to find the right additional stuff.

ETA: download page link
http://www.adobe.com/products/digitaleditions/

citymouse
04-28-2009, 09:44 PM
Thanks MtM! I don't have Adobe's digital reader and they have it free for Mac OS as well as Windows! Yippee!

I'll forward this information on to my reader. He had no idea what the digital thing was and neither did I.

Thanks again,
C

citymouse
04-28-2009, 09:58 PM
Wahoo! I just downloaded the Adobe digital reader and began reading one of my pdf files. You can do a full screen view. That is good for aging eyes. The format is very simple. And its free! I love free stuff.

C

Matera the Mad
04-29-2009, 04:25 AM
I am the Queen of Free :D

And now I can shop around at Diesel, what the heck.

I got the Mobipocket Reader not so long ago just to read one little thing, and -- if anyone wants to know -- it's very cool and eye-friendly too.