Paranormal or Sci-fi?

Status
Not open for further replies.

talcon811

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

My current WIP is a romance where the characters are telepathic/telekinetic. Would the sub-genre be sci-fi or paranormal? I always think of space and spaceships when I think of sci-fiction, but vampires/shifters/ghosts/witches with paranormal.

Thanks!

Brindle Chase

Dancing on the edge
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.forlorn-hope.net
It would be science fiction if the premise behind those powers was based on scientific findings(both real and fictitious)... it doesnt have to be futuristic... it would be paranormal if the premise behind the powers was mystical, legend or something along those lines... beyond that, your plot might give you a better understanding of which is more appropriate.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Just saying it's a natural psychic ability (or not explaining it at all) will make it Paranormal.

talcon811

Registered
Reaction score
Uhhhh....half of my characters have had their DNA manipulated and in the other half, their skills are unexplained.

That probably makes it sci-fi though.

Crap, paranormal's an easier sell.

Thanks to everyone who responded!

Gillhoughly

Grumpy writer and editor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Getting blitzed at Gillhoughly's Reef, Haleakaloha
Meh--call it a paranormal, anyway. Your characters aren't "normal," but who cares how they got that way, DNA manipulation or a magical curse. Your unexplained bunch makes that okay. Much of what used to be magic is now science, and some types of science (uber-advanced quantum physics) still looks like magic to me.

If they're fighting bad guys it's urban fantasy.

If they're into sweaty snuggle bunnies relationship growth while fighting bag guys, it's paranormal.

If they wear spandex, call Stan Lee.

Status
Not open for further replies.