Your Latin Test for Today...

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Okay, smarty pantses... what does this say:

"non vendamus porci"
Okay...um...I'm not sure, but I think it means "don't put your pig on my veranda," or else it's "I don't have a green porcupine."

Unless it means "I'm not selling swine today."

Hillary

Neural Trailblazer
Registered
Reaction score
That's actually Latin?

Seventh grade failed me.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
Off the top of my head it means "we shall not buy pork." from the latin verb vendo, vendere meaning 'to buy'. I believe this is future tense--but I could be wrong. Want I should look it up for you?

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
yeah, something about not selling pork, or pork not for sale

let me know when we get to the pigs flying.

See, I'm thinking this avian/swine flu thing is some kind of proof that the expression from our childhood was foreshadowing of some sort.

"When Pigs Fly" is obviously a bad thing.

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
I think it says 'We don't sell pork', but I couldn't get that to pass through a translator. :)

It's on a logo for one of the vendors we use for surplus lines here at the insurance office... and if it DOES say 'We don't sell pork', the owner and I are gonna have a good laugh. It's either a joke he's playing or one that's been played on him.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Pigs don't tell lies? No, wait, that veritas.

Pigs are not allowed to sell things here.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
My first thought was the sign in Lonesome Dove. The one that said 'we don't sell pigs'.

MM

Sophia

Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
An Italian to English translator gives "non porci" as "do not ask". The vendamus is probably from the Latin vend, to sell. Which makes me think it means something like, "Don't ask us what we sell". :)

Ol' Fashioned Girl

Hand? What hand?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jenniferdahl.com
That was 'We don't rent pigs'. But it wasn't in Latin... the other saying on the sign was in Latin:

"uva uvam vivendo varia fit" - roughly translated as 'a grape changes color [ripens] when it sees [another] grape'.

I just got an email back from the contact at the broker - it does say 'We don't rent pigs'. The own was, apparently a fan of 'Lonesome Dove', too, and wanted that on his logo. People are funny, ain't they? :)

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
I'm partial to the Latin phrase 'bibo ergo sum', myself. That was my brother's university motto. I adopted it as my own when I went to university 9 years later.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
"non vendamus porci"

non= a negative, which by its position refers to the verb

vendo vendere vendidi venditum is a verb meaning sell, also sell out, betray, advertise, praise and recommend.
The "mus" is we. The "a" doesn't make sence to me, but Latin was a long time ago.
"We sell" should be vendemus

porci is either the singular Genative or the plural Nominative of the second declension masculine noun porcus meaning hog as opposed to sows or pigs in general. If it was the object of the verb it would be porcum (singular) or porcos (plural).

This must not be Classical Latin. It's probably medieval Latin which I did not study or it's a mispelling.

The closest I can come up with at the top of my head (assuming this is an attempt at Classical Latin) is "We hogs don't betray."

Is this the motto of a Harley gang? Although I'd prefer to see it start with porci rather than end, but it depends on the author, time and region. Languages change.

If Vendo switched from taking the accusative in Classical to the Genative in Medieval (and I don't know that it did) then it might be a corruption of the subjunctive and mean, "We must not sell of the hog," meaning "We are not allowed to sell pork products" which in classical Julian Latin I'd prefer to see ""non vendeamus partes suorum" although like I said, it's been a long time.

Last edited:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Pigs are damn fine people. This is discrimination. Next it'll be "Irish need not apply" and from there...anarchy.

Last edited:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Pigs are damn fine people. This is discrimination.
Personally, I see this as a positive sign for pigs and hogs of all kinds. "We don't rent pigs" equals emancipation for all our porcine brothers and sisters. End pig slavery now!

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
You've had me pulling out my old Latin Grammar book and "vendamus" probably does mean, "Let us sell" or with the "non", "Let us not sell", "porci" or "Let us not sell of the hog." (with "parts" being assumed. The Romans seemed to make a lot of assumptions. Maybe that led to some of the wars including the civil war that led to the Empire.)

It would still be unclear in such a translation whether they are referring specifically to male pigs, so that it would be ok to sell sow meat, or if they mean all pork products.

Thanks for the question, it's been a brain teaser. So what is the origin of the quote?

Sorry, somehow missed your post 14. Vendo does not mean rent (again unless it's medieval). I'll look at the other teaser in a bit

Last edited:

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
uva uvam vivendo varia fit

uva = grape or a bunch of grapes, subject of the sentence or in a prepositional phrase requiring the ablative (but there is no preposition in the quote (which means the choice of preposition is "with, from, in on or by", or as an ablative absolute, which is something English basically doesn't have in normal conversation)

uvam = grape or a bunch of grapes, object of the sentence

varia = some sort of change and the only thing it can refer to here is uva

Vivendo is the (I think if I remember the name it's called) Gerund of Vivo vivere vixi victum which when combined with the ablative means to subsist on or possibly require. The problem is this is a singular neuter form of either the ablative or dative, which means it is referring to something other than the grape which is feminine. Were it videnda would be the gerund of video the word for seeing.

fit = it happens

So "uva varia fit" by itself probably does refer to either the ripening of a grape or it's turning into a raisin, maybe even rotting. However the word for raisin is astaphis so this probably is an idiom for ripening. I only have my little dictionairy which doesn't list idioms.

the "uvam vivendo" is the problem. There is the rare accusative absolute which here would be "uvam videndam" were it to be "seeing another grape". More likely it was wrong on the sign, or again a rare dialect with which I am not familiar, and should be "uvam vivenda" in which case the vivenda would be part of the rest of the sentence leaving uvam off on it's own. In which case it would be "One grape (or a bunch) ripening requires a grape (or a bunch)"

My guess is that it means liberally, not literally, (assuming vivenda and not vivendo which doesn't make sense to me and would be an easier mistranscription than videnda or even worse, videndo)

The ripening of a bunch of grapes starts with one.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
and Wayne K for all things _______.

I can't think of anything to put there yet, but I'll be back when it comes to me.

Unless the mods delete me first.

GeorgeK

ever seeking
Registered
Reaction score
GeorgeK... I know who I'm going to call whenever I need Latin! Now I've got you for Latin and Medievalist for All Things Medieval/Celtic/Gaelic... and... and...

Thanks, it was nice as something else to think about. I've been terribly ill the last few years, so it's actually a good sign to me that I could think clearly enough to enjoy the attempt. Maybe I will mend. Latin Grad School was a few decades ago and prior to Med School so I might not have it all right, but so far as I look through the old texts it looks ok.

I remember people asking/complaining, "Does one letter make all that much difference?"

My response was, "I don't walk Spanish" (partly because one of the few spanish phrases I thought I knew was, "No amblo Espaniol.")

Last edited: