Western SYW

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Just a reminder to everyone that we also have a western SYW forum and there have been posts in that forum in the last month - but there don't seem to be many critters or commenters. It would certainly be nice if some of you who take peeks into this genre forum would also check out SYW once in a while and give the posters there your thoughts. Please! (And thank you!) Puma

franniescan

Exploring the Last Frontier
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks Puma!

I always feel a little bad because it just seems to be either me, Dan, or you that frequent there and make comments.

It's been great getting the feedback from both of you, but I sometimes I feel like I'm asking for too much since there's always just the three of us that give crits there.

Hopefully this'll get some more folks swinging over to that area...I didn't realize that there weren't that many of us that write westerns!

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Heh, I confess I go through phases -- including reading Western novels and watching movies, as well as reading and commenting on posted samples. I do apologize. Not much of a Western moderator really... I'll try to make more time for this.

-Derek

Swampfox

Registered
Reaction score
I'm not a Western writer, but I am a fan of Westerns, in all of their various incarnations. When I have time I'll drop by and see what y'all have put up.

cooeedownunder

Grateful for the day
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.australianflavour.net
ETA: I thought I was somewhere else. I thought this was the western syw forum. I was lost. Sorry. I was going to suggest you put it in the general syw forum, and didn't realise you had it in the general western forum...

Since, I am here, I might as well say apart from knowing naught about the genre, I usually don't look in there, maybe because it is at the end of the list and I don't normally get past the historical one.

Cheers guys.

Last edited:

dpaterso

Also in our Discord and IRC chat channels
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
derekpaterson.net
Just a reminder that anyone looking for feedback (and not getting much love) can post in the SYW Starbucks thread to draw attention to their thread:

SYW Starbucks, Where the lonely uncritted come to hang out...
http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88154

-Derek

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Hi Derek - Thanks for looking at Fran's chapter post. As she said, recently it's just been Fran, Dan, and me so they're not getting a very wide perspective on their work. Things are getting critted, but getting ideas from a few others always helps.

I have to wonder where all the old regulars who used to be on western have disappeared to. It was more than Festus and Cav Guy. I totally forgot about the Starbucks thread in the main (top) SYW forum for asking for crits - thanks for mentioning it. Puma

firedrake

practical experience, FTW
Registered
Reaction score
well...I have my western still hanging around in my word files.
I'd never written one before and the only westerns I've read are McMurty's masterpieces so I'm not sure I'd be too good at critting but I'll give it a go.
I'd certainly be happy to post some stuff from the western and get some advice from the experts.

franniescan

Exploring the Last Frontier
Registered
Reaction score
Come on over Firedrake!

I'm by no means an expert...but I still throw stuff in there to see what I can hear from people. My writing has vastly improved since doing so...and well, it still has a long way to go but it's a slow process. One of those...two steps forward...and then one HUGEEE step back kinda deal.

I'd be glad to read something over for you if you want. I can't promise glamorous things...but I could try!

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
I've been lagging on this...because of work-type stuff and the fact that I've been perhaps too absorbed in my own stuff. Still check from time to time, but haven't taken the time to crit anything of late.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
And we miss you, Cav Guy. I see you pop in from time to time. Sometimes it is hard to carve out AW time with all the other things going on. Always glad when you can. Puma

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
I just took a quick hack at a couple of pieces in SYW, and might put something of my own up sometime in the near future. At the risk of boring folks to death, that is....;)

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
I guess all I want to say was thanks. Thanks a lot to everyone who has dropped in so far over at the Western SYW thread.

EFCollins

World Class Rambler
Registered
Reaction score
Way out there in BFE, where no one can hear you sc
Website
efcollins.blogspot.com
I'll try to make more of an appearance over in the western SYW. I don't read or write westerns, but I learned to read from them, so I can maybe help. Maybe being the operative word, there. I'm mostly in the horror sections, as that is where I feel more comfortable, but I've known ol' Dan here for a few months now, before AW even, and I like his stuff, so I'll give it a shot, if no one minds.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
No one minds - glad to have you join in.