PDA

View Full Version : Help I'm Geeking out!!! Can't wait for X-men: Origins and Star Trek

dgiharris
04-27-2009, 05:15 AM
Someone help me. They are showing promos for X-Men Origins and Star Trek round the clock.

But the movies don't come out for 1 - 2 weeks.

UURRGGG!!!!!

There should be a law that stops this mindless torture. It is not fair and inhumane.

I need help. I need something to tide me over till the openings.

Incidentally, what are your thoughts. How high are these movies on your Must See list???

What are your ratings and comments of each respective movie franchise?

Mel...

Zoombie
04-27-2009, 05:18 AM
Star Trek I'm mildly interested in, but every time I think about it, I think about how my girlfriend asked me if I would take her there.

Two weeks before she broke up with me.

<goes all agnsty teenager on the thread>

Calla Lily
04-27-2009, 05:23 AM
I couldn't care less aobut X-Men or ST, but I am eagerly anticipating Terminator 4. *swoon*

Zoombie
04-27-2009, 05:24 AM
Oh, but X-Men looks fantastic!

Calla Lily
04-27-2009, 05:30 AM
Not that big a HJ fangirl, and I never read any X-Men comics. Sorry. :)

Zoombie
04-27-2009, 05:37 AM
I never did, and HJ is all right...or...at least only MOSTLY sexy...

Okay, he's complete and total sex.

But still!

You don't need to read X-men to enjoy a good X-Men movie...

Toothpaste
04-27-2009, 06:11 AM
Sorry but X-Men looks terrible and cheap. If it isn't, then I will happily concede my opinion, but the trailers do it no favours, the quotes they've used are just dreadful, and the effects generic and unspecific.

Start Trek on the other hand looks fantastic, original, fun and yet still paying homage to the source material. I think that might be the hit of the summer.

Enzo
04-27-2009, 06:49 AM
I thought X-Men came out this Wednesday, April 29. Nothing about it that attracts me though, it's like Heroes with scissors.

On the other hand, I've never been a Trekkie or a scifi fan, but the trailers for the new Star Trek look impressive. And Zachary Quinto looks like a perfect Spock.

dgrintalis
04-27-2009, 06:51 AM
I am excited for X-Men in a big way. No, Hugh Jackman has nothing to do with it. Right, nothing to do with it at all...

;)

Cyia
04-27-2009, 06:59 AM
Wolverine :hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray::hooray:

Star Trek :Shrug::Shrug::Shrug::Shrug::Shrug:

dgiharris
04-27-2009, 07:22 AM
The reason I'm excited about X-Men is it looks like its going to be more of what I want, Mutants fighting each other :)

granted, the others had that too, but it felt like sometimes it got lost in the lofty 'save the world' plots.

The reason I'm buzzing about Star Trek is that it looks like it's getting a much needed face lift.

The last few Star Trek Movies were 'blah'. The characters have hit the end of their arcs, the storylines are stale.

But this new Star Trek has an opportunity for so much. Just like the Anakin Skywalker movies had potential, so to does Star Trek. I just hope they don't Jar-Jar Bink us with something stupid that has nothing to do with Star Trek!!!

Mel...

dclary
04-27-2009, 07:36 AM
you know what torture is? the first teaser trailer for Fellowship of the Ring came out... ONE AND HALF YEARS before the movie's release!!!

i honestly don't remember what happened during those 18 months

Cyia
04-27-2009, 07:51 AM
I love their choice for Sabretooth. Liev Shrieber looks nothing like him, but the trailer scenes of him seem strangely perfect.

Toothpaste
04-27-2009, 08:23 AM
I'm honestly so surprised how many people are excited about Wolverine. I mean in a good way, I like it when genre films do well. I seriously think it looks terrible, and thought it would totally flop, which would be a pity as I adore Hugh Jackman. But it really does look like it's going to be a success. Despite the fact that I really think it looks poorly written, poorly acted, poorly CGIed, oddly, I'm still glad it's going to do well. Which I think is really weird. I never feel that way normally about movies that I don't think look any good. Like seriously, I'm kind of blown away that I feel like that. Such is the power of the Jackman I suppose. :)

Zoombie
04-27-2009, 02:23 PM
I blame his rippling thighs.

They need a scene where Huge Ackman snaps someone's neck with his rippling thighs.

I'd pay to see that...

Really, my only complaint with Star Trek and X-men and all the other remakes and adaptations and reimaginings and so on is that no one is doing anything NEW!

The most original film sci-fi film I've seen all recently is Repo: The Genetic Opera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzgpU25C6fg) and I doubt anyone in this forum besides me and like five other people even know what its ABOUT, let alone all the words to its amazing set of operatic punk rock songs.

Seriously, its got Anthony Steward Head, singing about dismembering people. Why did this flop? Seriously?

<grumbles about audiences being unable to enjoy new things>

When I saw the first star trek trailer, I was so pumped cause I thought it was going to be a NEW and original sci fi film that would do something and oh wait, its just STAR TREK AGAIN!

ARRGH!

Is there some virus going around that kills creativity?

Here, let me come up with some ideas right now.

A retelling of the battle of bunker hill. IN SPACE!

Or how about...?

A squadron of British RAF pilots are abducted by aliens to be used as futuristic mercenaries in space. Why the RAF? Well, because alien law says that you can't use technology beyond that of the planet you are invading. So, when the aliens want to fight on a lower tech planet, they need people of the same general era. Which is why they have a Roman Legion in stasis. But now, pilots who were once battling the Luftwaffa over London must now dogfight tentacle monsters flying airplanes designed to fly on a gas giant or something. Then things get even more interesting when another set of mercs are "borrowed" by their alien masters: An elite squadron of Stukka Dive Bomber Pilots!

Or, how about...?

An asteroid on crash course for earth is located. Fortunately, the people realized that, hey, we can shoot a nuke at the thing to nudge it very carefully out of the way. And so they do so...but the nudge breaks the asteroid in half. Both halves will miss earth...but unknown to anyone, the asteroid was not just an asteroid. It was a prison! FOR DISGRUNTLED ANT PEOPLE FROM BEYOND JUPITER! Who proceed to invade the solar system.

Or, how about...?

A forbidden romance blooms between two members of a gene-hack research facility: B-D-3819 and CC-02130. Their recombinant DNA says no...but their hearts say yes! Can they overcome genetic programming and the laser fences that separate their cells...and their hearts?

Or, how about...?

A sentient nano-virus lands on the earth via handy comet. It infects plastic, and the more plastic it infects, the smarter it gets. Then it starts to wreak havoc...and the only person who can stop it is a young boy who can somehow commune with the virus.

Or, how about...?

An alien is sued by a 90 year old survivor of Vietnam. Why? Because the alien recorded the entire conflict from orbit and with invisible probes. The central story was this veterans stranger than fiction life. Now his holographic image is recognizable throughout half the quadrant...but he never agreed to have his face plastered up all over the galaxy, and he NEVER saw a single Space Dollar for his hard work. Also...there is a dark secret in his past, one that he does not want to be seen by the Earth views of interstellar TV....

SEE!

ITS EASY!

sheadakota
04-27-2009, 02:29 PM
I'm going to see both! Can't wait:D!!

Leah J. Utas
04-27-2009, 05:47 PM
Looking so forward to ST. Must. Breathe. Must. Stay. Calm.

ChunkyC
04-27-2009, 06:30 PM
I am very much looking forward to both those movies. And the books Zoombie is going to write based on the synopses he posted. ;)

The reason I'm buzzing about Star Trek is that it looks like it's getting a much needed face lift.

The last few Star Trek Movies were 'blah'. The characters have hit the end of their arcs, the storylines are stale.

But this new Star Trek has an opportunity for so much. Just like the Anakin Skywalker movies had potential, so to does Star Trek. I just hope they don't Jar-Jar Bink us with something stupid that has nothing to do with Star Trek!!!

Mel...
Exactly. :)

you know what torture is? the first teaser trailer for Fellowship of the Ring came out... ONE AND HALF YEARS before the movie's release!!!

LOL!

BarbaraKE
04-27-2009, 06:55 PM
I'm a long-time ST geek. And - though I'm not a big X-Men fan, I love Hugh Jackman as Wolverine.

But I'm not sure how I feel about the movies. I saw trailers for them both at Watchmen and they both seemed like generic, big-action, lots-of-special-effects summer movies.

But I hope I'm wrong.

Susan Gable
04-27-2009, 06:56 PM
Both of these movies are on my MUST SEE AT THE THEATER list.

I'll be hitting the movies both weekends. Can't wait!!!

Most of the time I'm a wait-for-the-DVD kinda girl. But not for these two movies. No sir.

I'll be there. :)

And here's my personal take on Hugh Jackman -- Hugh, eh, he's okay. I can take him or leave him. WOLVERINE on the other hand (specifically, Jackman as Wolverine...) I'm taking him, baby. <G>

And generally I'm not a big alpha-guy fangirl. <G> But Wolverine...yeah. <G> He works well for me.

I'm even more geeked about the ST movie!!! (I posted a picture on Facebook of me in my office, with my ST books and my Kirk action figure on the shelves behind me. <G>)

Two weeks with movies I can't wait to see. What is the world coming to? Ooooo, and what if the flu thing actually gets to be a 'real" issue? (I don't think it is yet, but that's for another thread <G>) Hmmmmm...we will have to all wear masks to the theater.

Susan G. (Yes, sometimes the G stands for Geek. <G>)

maestrowork
04-27-2009, 07:09 PM
Not sure about Wolverine. I will definitely go, but I am not really that psyched. Seems to be more of the same.

I'm very psyched about ST and Terminator Salvation. May can't come soon enough.

Manix
04-27-2009, 07:20 PM

LOL! *drums fingers* Yeah, I admit it: "I'm a geek, and I'm proud." "Let's hear it again only louder." "I'm a geek, and I'm proud!"

Toothpaste
04-27-2009, 07:21 PM
May is a great month for movies this year in general. But personally my film for this month is "Up".

MMcDonald64
04-27-2009, 07:22 PM
I never did, and HJ is all right...or...at least only MOSTLY sexy...

Okay, he's complete and total sex.

But still!

You don't need to read X-men to enjoy a good X-Men movie...

Those sideburns totally ick me out. I know it's just for the role, but still. Otherwise, I agree, he's yummy. I'm not an X-Men fan, but I have read some good fanfiction on it, so maybe I'll see the movie. In addition to HJ, you'll get to see Taylor Kitsch as Gambit. He's quite the hottie too. I posted a link to a pic of him in another thread, but here it is again for those interested:

http://www.iballer.com/malecelebs/kitsch_taylor/images/kitsch_taylor2_jpg.jpg

Satori1977
04-28-2009, 11:19 PM
I enjoyed the X-Men movies, and Wolverine has always been my favorite character. I agree with an Entertainment Weekly article I just read that the movies started making his character a little wussy...so I am excited to see a hardcore Wolverine again. Anyway, Hugh Jackman, Liev Schrieber, and Ryan Reynolds...need I say more??

Now Star Trek I am totally stoked about. I have been a huge ST nerd since I was a kid. This movie looks well-written, well-acted, has just enough action to please everyone, and cool special effects. Plus, I think I am in love with Zachary Quinto. ~~SWOON~~

Satori1977
04-28-2009, 11:21 PM
The most original film sci-fi film I've seen all recently is Repo: The Genetic Opera (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MzgpU25C6fg) and I doubt anyone in this forum besides me and like five other people even know what its ABOUT, let alone all the words to its amazing set of operatic punk rock songs.

Seriously, its got Anthony Steward Head, singing about dismembering people. Why did this flop? Seriously?

<grumbles about audiences being unable to enjoy new things>

Ok, I have heard briefly of this movie, and admit I know nothing about it. But Anthony Stewart Head? Singing? Dismembering people?!? I so have to watch this now!!!!!!!

dgiharris
05-07-2009, 09:12 AM
broke down and saw X-men Origins.

Eh, it was o.k. Should tide me over a few days until Star Trek.

Mel...

bettielee
05-07-2009, 09:23 AM
Ok. I'm gonna let the geek outta the box for a minute - I think the re-imagining of Star Trek is totally cool. The X-Men (actually, lets put the focus where it needs to be) Wolverine movie - the only thing I dig about that is Hugh Jackman's killer chops.

Ok, time to put it away. Put it away.

maestrowork
05-07-2009, 10:05 AM
Wolverine was very disappointing. Star Trek, on the other hand, kicks ass.

If Wolverine could open with $85 million, Star Trek is going to do $120M maybe. Word of mouth (and a long 7-year wait) is going to make ST one of the biggest movies of the year.

dgiharris
05-07-2009, 10:53 AM
Unfortunately, I think the X-Men Movie Franchise is done.

They milked the hell out of that cow, the utters are shot :)

I think the next step in Super Hero Movies is the crossing over of Super Heros into each other's movies.

Spidey gets help from the Fantastic Four, the Hulk fights the Avengers, Superman needs Batman's help, etc. etc.

Mel...

maestrowork
05-07-2009, 10:57 AM
Unfortunately, I think the X-Men Movie Franchise is done.

They're making a Deadpool movie with Ryan Reynolds as the antihero.

But I agree... I think Marvel has milked every cow and will continue to milk them until they drop dead. Back when Spider-Man was great it seemed like a great idea. Now? It seems more like they want to profit from their properties as much and as quickly as possible before this wave of superhero movies dies down, and they may be pushing a bit hard toward the demise of the genre.

ChunkyC
05-07-2009, 10:13 PM
Wolverine was okay, but not amazing in any way. I agree with Ray and dgiharris; I feel overdosed on comic book movies and think Ray may be right about the whole genre being ripe for a collapse.

robeiae
05-08-2009, 01:39 AM
Saw Wolverine, today. Yeah, it was okay. Not special, at all. But better than the third X-Men, imo.

maestrowork
05-09-2009, 06:25 PM
Wolverine has made about $102M in its first week. Nothing to sneeze at, but the word of mouth simply isn't there to sustain it -- I don't think. Let's see how much it drops this weekend, especially with Star Trek out. I think it may just barely recoup its $150M budget and will have to make real profits in DVD and online sales.

trocadero
05-09-2009, 06:46 PM
(Spoiler alert) Saw Wolverine tonight. I was really confused because the two men who play the boys' 'fathers' at the start look so much like Hugh Jackman and Liev Schreiber that the script made no sense to me. I had to come home and google the cast to get it straight in my head. I get annoyed when similar-looking people are cast in movies. It's like calling all your kids similar names! As if the casting agent likes a partcular look and sticks with it.

Apart from that, I enjoyed the film, though it was very violent, and the dialogue was often cliche and predictable. Keeping in mind that it's a de-animated cartoon, though, I didn't mind that too much. I was actually disappointed that Wolverine is so virtuous and perfect. There was a time or two when I wished he'd slashed a little more vengefully....

fighter25
05-14-2009, 07:08 PM
I liked Wolverine and it could have been better... well I thought it was better than X-3.. haha... Also I think one of the reasons Wolverine had bad writing and so many plot holes is b/c it was in it's writing stages when the Strike began and the first writer droped from the project... when the strike ended Fox hurried to find two new writers to try to finish the script. I think Fox just needs to give the rights back to Marvel.. but that won't happen..
Fox has the rights to these Marvel characters:
Elektra, Daredevil, Spiderman, X-men, and Fantastic Four.

The Marvel Company doesn't need the support of Fox anymore and has produced these moves w/o Fox: Ironman and Incredible Hulk.. those two movies were better than 2/3 of Fox's Superhero movies... In Production now w/ the Marvel Company is Ironman 2, Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers.

However, I highly enjoyed X-men 2, and Spiderman 2.. and think that those are in the top 5 superhero movies.

THERE IS A AGREEMENT BTWN FOX AND MARVEL.. apparently if Fox doesn't make movies for a marvel character within a certain number of years, the rights will go back to Marvel. I think I like that but I'm not to sure.. b/c Fox can milk these superhero's too much.. and just end up giving us OK movies.. if Fox makes more Superhero movies with the same quality as X-men 2 and Spiderman 2.. then I'm fine with it.

Fox is in production with Spiderman 4
Fox will be making 4 more X-men movies:
X-men Orgins:Magneto
X-men Orgins: Deadpool
Wolverine 2
X-men: First Class- which will either deal with the original X-men: Jean, Cyclops, Beast, Angel, Iceman.. or the younger X-men-Emma, Jubilee, Rouge, Collossus, Kitty,.. either way.. I don't think Wolverine will be in this movie.

TALK ABOUT MILKING!!!! ha.. Fox knows that Spiderman and X-men is two of there cash crops and will be keeping them for a while.. but the others, Elektra, Daredevil.. Maybe Fantastic 4 hopefully will go back to Marvel.

dgiharris
05-14-2009, 07:43 PM
I liked Wolverine and it could have been better... well I thought it was better than X-3.. haha... Also I think one of the reasons Wolverine had bad writing and so many plot holes is b/c it was in it's writing stages when the Strike began and the first writer droped from the project... when the strike ended Fox hurried to find two new writers to try to finish the script. I think Fox just needs to give the rights back to Marvel.. but that won't happen..
Fox has the rights to these Marvel characters:
Elektra, Daredevil, Spiderman, X-men, and Fantastic Four.

The Marvel Company doesn't need the support of Fox anymore and has produced these moves w/o Fox: Ironman and Incredible Hulk.. those two movies were better than 2/3 of Fox's Superhero movies... In Production now w/ the Marvel Company is Ironman 2, Thor, Captain America, and The Avengers.

However, I highly enjoyed X-men 2, and Spiderman 2.. and think that those are in the top 5 superhero movies.

THERE IS A AGREEMENT BTWN FOX AND MARVEL.. apparently if Fox doesn't make movies for a marvel character within a certain number of years, the rights will go back to Marvel. I think I like that but I'm not to sure.. b/c Fox can milk these superhero's too much.. and just end up giving us OK movies.. if Fox makes more Superhero movies with the same quality as X-men 2 and Spiderman 2.. then I'm fine with it.

Fox is in production with Spiderman 4
Fox will be making 4 more X-men movies:
X-men Orgins:Magneto
X-men Orgins: Deadpool
Wolverine 2
X-men: First Class- which will either deal with the original X-men: Jean, Cyclops, Beast, Angel, Iceman.. or the younger X-men-Emma, Jubilee, Rouge, Collossus, Kitty,.. either way.. I don't think Wolverine will be in this movie.

TALK ABOUT MILKING!!!! ha.. Fox knows that Spiderman and X-men is two of there cash crops and will be keeping them for a while.. but the others, Elektra, Daredevil.. Maybe Fantastic 4 hopefully will go back to Marvel.

God I hope you're wrong.

I can't picture 3 -4 more X-men movies. The udders on that cow are bone dry, pumping out powdered milk.

Mel...

DeleyanLee
05-14-2009, 07:53 PM
They'll milk it until they lose money on the franchise. Then some amount of time will pass before someone else tries again. Just the nature of Hollywood recently.

Personally, I was vastly disappointed by Wolverine, though I will admit that it was better than I expected it to be, and better than X3 (which sucked dirty duck butt IMHO). But that's not saying much. Wasn't interested in seeing it again, won't buy the DVD, even to "round out my collection" (I didn't buy X3 either). To me, it's pretty much a dead experience unless I hear they get some seriously good writers by trusted friends.

OTOH, I saw Star Trek twice last weekend and am debating on whether or not I'll see it again this next weekend. Star Trek hit the high bar of good storytelling that I've come to expect (blame Nolan and Dark Knight). I just wish Wolverine had hit it too instead of being mediocre.

ChunkyC
05-14-2009, 08:55 PM
(Spoiler alert) Saw Wolverine tonight. I was really confused because the two men who play the boys' 'fathers' at the start look so much like Hugh Jackman and Liev Schreiber that the script made no sense to me.
It doesn't specify on the internet movie database, but it probably was Jackman and Schrieber playing their fathers.

Cyia
05-16-2009, 02:47 AM
Well, I went ahead and watched Wolverine despite the reviews, and I can certainly see why people had a problem with it. I liked Liev Shrieber as Sabertooth even if he didn't look the part, and I liked Gambit, but neither was good enough to justify that movie.

Did they cut the budget for this one or what?

*spoiler question*

There were a lot of CGI issues with it, but especially in the scene where Wolverine has Sabertooth down by the throat. You could see he was holding the "claws" in his fist. They extended out from between his fingers rather than from the backs of his knuckles. Not to mention that his flannel shirt suddenly disappears off his back...

dgiharris
05-16-2009, 03:13 AM
*spoiler question*....

Jeezus, you got some great eyes there to notice that.

They should hire you to preview all special effects

Mel...

Cyia
05-16-2009, 03:22 AM
Jeezus, you got some great eyes there to notice that.

They should hire you to preview all special effects

Mel...

<---- is mildly OCD :D

And I was not at all immersed in the movie.

*spoiler rant*

Since when is Native American Silver Fox upper crust Emma Frost's sister????? And what's with Ma and Pa Kent being the ones to find Wolverine? Seriously :rant: