PDA

View Full Version : What are you hoping to accomplish in your work?

Manix
04-26-2009, 11:36 PM
Just out of curiosity, does everyone here know why they are writing? I mean, I'm writing, hopefully to make a difference in the world, to live out my own fantasies (I write fantasy mostly), and I find writing is often recreational for me. But there are other reasons to write, other than just to make money. (Besides, if you want money, there are other professions a lot more lucrative, I imagine)

Why do you write? What are the stakes for you?

Inky
04-26-2009, 11:46 PM
I write because if I don't, it's the equivalent of showing up for school--minus my pants.
I'm naked without prose.

The genre I write, and break most of the 'formula' rules, is due to becoming increasingly fed up with 1) Never able to find the stories that I wish were written, (2) Authors taking 400 pages for 3 pages of plot, or being a fabulous writer until they're famous...and then they slap together complete shit, as if they no longer have to try... (3) There IS more to romance than erotica by page three, and more to fantasy than the over-killed plot: forbidden magicks, or every other page an epic battle...

AND...

*drum roll*
Dark fantasy CAN be combined with serious romance and STILL be a damn good story.

and because I'm too stubborn to take no for an answer...

Mr Flibble
04-26-2009, 11:53 PM
None of your options I'm afraid. I write cos it's fun and it gives the voices in my head somewhere to go. Helpfully, it keeps me off the streets and out of trouble. Mostly.

1) Never able to find the stories that I wish were written,

And this. Times ooh about 78.

unicornjam
04-27-2009, 12:00 AM
I write because throughout my life people have told me I'm good at it and it's enjoyable. Most of my stories are about minorities and I want to people to be aware that we're still struggling.

But I want to be a journalist because I feel there's a decline in journalistic standards (like reporting about Paris Hilton in jail...) and I want to make a difference. Cliche, but true.

scarletpeaches
04-27-2009, 12:01 AM
I want fame, fortune and to get laid a lot.

And to feel like I haven't wasted the time I had.

bettielee
04-27-2009, 12:02 AM
I'm not real sure if my reason was on there... I write the stories I want to read. I love fantasy, but don't find the kind of stories I want to get lost in... so I write my own. I'm not saying my life will be a waste if I never publish, because I don't know if that is a possibility - hey, maybe nobody else wants 'to read what I do - but I love to write. And I've lived in an alternate reality since I became of the regular one.

Wayne K
04-27-2009, 12:06 AM
I'm a graphic memoir writer as you know Manix. I had a rough life but as people here can tell I'm not the person I write about anymore. It's like writing a biography for me--the thing is that I'm one of the very few to survive my generation. If you're young, I'm not your parents, I'm the screwed up uncle--but that leaves me with a story.

I feel like the voice of generation that time wants to forget.

I fired a ten time published author and cowriter with a publisher asking for it to write this mess myself, and that may sound stupid to you (it sounds stupid to me too) but I wanted it to be in my voice.

I was here too.

NeuroFizz
04-27-2009, 12:08 AM
Writing is an incredible intellectual challenge in which a lifelong learning philosophy can show tangible benefits--I want to respond to the constant challenge to improve.

Little Earthquake
04-27-2009, 12:08 AM
I've lately joked that I used to think I was exceptional (that I had some GREAT IDEA to impart to the world), but now I'm thinking that I just want to be happy. I say to myself, "Yes, fame & fortune would be lovely. Having my BRILLIANT IDEAS change the world would be so awesome. But do I need either one to make my life complete?" No, not really.

Little Earthquake
04-27-2009, 12:09 AM

Oh, I love you!

brokenfingers
04-27-2009, 12:09 AM
I’m hoping to inspire intergalactic peace and establish myself as the premier human writer across all dimensions for all time.

C.M.C.
04-27-2009, 12:12 AM
Certain things I write because I enjoy the process. Other things, like my book, I write because I want to prove to myself that I can do it.

bettielee
04-27-2009, 12:12 AM

can I change my answer? Now it's "that's what she said"

The Lonely One
04-27-2009, 12:20 AM
At worst I can put something under the short leg of the coffee table.

Inky
04-27-2009, 12:27 AM
I just realized that this poll is missing the Orlando Bloom option.

Uh hem!!!

Izz
04-27-2009, 12:31 AM
None of the answers in the poll apply to me, either. I write because I love to write and because I love to tell stories. If I don't write then I'm an unhappy man.

Rarri
04-27-2009, 12:32 AM
I write because i couldn't keep running away from writing. It's an integral part of me, hard to explain! Writing brings me solace though and i hope, also, that my writing might one day be published, but i wouldn't consider it the end of the world if my work wasn't published. I get satisfaction just knowing i've written.

dgrintalis
04-27-2009, 12:35 AM
I would have picked Orlando Bloom... I don't know why I write. I just do. I really like creating people and worlds out of words plucked from my head.

Having my villain the object of people's nightmares would be cool, though.

lmz
04-27-2009, 12:38 AM
My answer is missing from your poll.

You ever think of a really good comeback about two minutes too late? Yeah, I'm like that too. This may sound odd, but...writing to me is like having that really mind-blowing comeback on the tip of my tongue and being unable to say it quick enough.

It's about coming up short.

I can never write enough, never sum up what I need to say in one short sentence. And so I write. And I write. And I write.

Writing is my passion; without it I would burst from all the endless possibilities and characters and plots and personalities circling around in my brain.

It's not just something I enjoy, it's not just a way to pass the time, it's not just something I was told I was good at and so decided to pursue, or something I hope to one day get rich off of; it's pretty much everything.

I NEED to write.

(I suppose I could have just written that one sentence and been done with it.)

deserata
04-27-2009, 01:55 AM
My choices probably make me look like I write didactic stuff, but I don't. It's pretty simple to me: art is about unearthing a truth. And I will be happy if something I wrote left a lasting impact on someone....

lovesaphira
04-27-2009, 05:00 AM
umm well....my reason wasn't up there so i went with fame and fortune. But that's only my second reason for writing. lol.
My first reason is because it's something i love doing. I read a lot of books, specifically YA because that's what i am, and start thinking that i want to write something like that. But i've always liked writing stories since i was little. Mind you i get incredibly embarrassed when i go and read them again. lol :D

JLCwrites
04-27-2009, 05:12 AM
Because it is a nice little diversion from the rest of my life.

Crayonz
04-27-2009, 05:50 AM
Because it is a nice little diversion from the rest of my life.

I'm gonna go with what Turkey said.

LOG
04-27-2009, 06:23 AM
Kinda like Turkey and Crayon, I am trying to distract myself from the horrors of life.

benbradley
04-27-2009, 06:38 AM
I voted for the four most popular responses, for what that's worth.

I'd like to think I have something to say, and that at least a little of it is something others haven't already said before. I've spent much of my life inhaling information, and I've learned a few things and formed a few opinions on the way, and maybe I get get some of that out in writing.

Enzo
04-27-2009, 07:04 AM
I love writing, it's fun and I feel like it's essential, like breathing and eating.
My fiction hasn't been published yet, but I hope it will. It won't make a difference to the world, but at least it'll be some kind of evidence that I was around and did something.

benbradley
04-27-2009, 07:25 AM
I just realized that this poll is missing the Orlando Bloom option.

Uh hem!!!
And I write Eggplant!

Oh, Mods ... poll edit on Aisle 14 ...

Matera the Mad
04-27-2009, 07:29 AM
I write because of what reading did to me. Figure that out.

Greenify13
04-27-2009, 07:35 AM
I write poetry for 1,2,4,5 and because "they" say they love it...
I write fantasy because I want to and 5, and "they" support it
I write "other" because of 5, sometimes 2 and because of "other" reasons...
And I write to confuse someone people and make others laugh, and I write poetry sometimes that is viewed to be "great" and "horrible" at the same time...what is a better compliment then that? :D

Clair Dickson
04-27-2009, 07:45 AM
I write because the stories build up in my head.

I write because I like to share the stories I enjoy with other people.

Sure, I'd like to make some money (maybe work fewer jobs) but that's not *why* I write. I write to tell stories, and I try to get them published because I want to be read by others.

backslashbaby
04-27-2009, 08:14 AM
Ooooh, love the question!!

And there are so many great responses here.

I write because there is so much to ponder in this world - and I do that a lot anyway, as do many folks. Now add a riddle or magic trick - something else I've loved since I was a child.

If I take things people wonder about and wrap them up in a magic trick, will people smile (or cry!) and think and enjoy it more than if they'd not read the work? That's the challenge, and Neurofizz, Yes, the challenge is such a rush :)

Having readers take any ride with you and enjoy it is a magic trick, and who doesn't love that kind of magic? :)

Grebbsy
04-27-2009, 10:48 PM
None of your responses really apply to me.

I write because I'm a show-off at heart. It's hard to be a show-off by doing something unless you're good at it, and I happen to be (after a fashion, at least) good at writing. So by writing I am effectively strutting up and down shouting "Hey, look at me, look what I did!"

CaroGirl
04-27-2009, 10:59 PM
I love to write. I enjoy the challenge of putting words together in different ways and creating stories out of essentially nothing more than a glimmer of an idea. I also write to get published so others might enjoy my stories-that-came-from-nowhere too.

Were those options on the list? In terms of what I hope to accomplish: publication, definitely.

DeleyanLee
04-27-2009, 11:04 PM
Why do I write? None of the above. I write 'cause I like to tell stories.

Inky
04-27-2009, 11:06 PM
And I write Eggplant!

Oh, Mods ... poll edit on Aisle 14 ...
:e2tongue:

TychoBrahe
04-27-2009, 11:06 PM
I wrote my first novel to see if I could do it. I'm surrounded by books all day long (I'm a librarian) and I wouldn't have been able to die happy without knowing if I could produce one myself. Currently seeking publication for the same reason. Christ, if a book with a title like Thong on Fire (ISBN 1416533028) can get published, then why not mine?

In the process, I discovered that I really enjoy writing, so much so that I'm sorely tempted to say "fuggit" to trying to get published for money and just post my stuff free online. Haven't done it yet, but I've given myself a pseudo-deadline of another couple of years before I admit that I'm only doing this for the fun of it.

Manix
04-28-2009, 12:05 AM
I think it's interesting to know why I write because it helps me focus my plot and my character's struggles more clearly. I try to let each one of them have a flaw, sometimes minor, sometimes major, but each one will struggle with that flaw throughout the book until they come to grips with it.

In a way, I guess I become each one of the characters, trying to come to grips with my own humanity, my own flaws, and find a way to step up out of the muck, shake it off and make those stories become my own.

Maricar
04-29-2009, 05:54 AM
I write because I can't help it. Even if the present task or job has nothing to do with writing, I find something to write about. It helps me think, helps me organize, helps me express myself. It's the one thing that ties together everything I've aspired to do since I was a child.

scribbler1382
04-29-2009, 06:01 AM
Why do I write?

What makes you think I have a choice? ;)

pepperlandgirl
04-29-2009, 11:06 AM
Because in all my life, I've only ever been good at one thing. And I'm probably not even very good at that, but I do try.

KTC
04-29-2009, 01:24 PM
none of the above. just bescuzz.

Cassiopeia
04-29-2009, 01:49 PM
It is what it is. I write. If I happen to make a difference, bonus. If I make a fortune at it great. You can keep the fame.

Wayne K
04-29-2009, 03:23 PM
Oh yeah, I also write because I think I'm good at it.

AnonymousWriter
04-29-2009, 08:23 PM
I hope to someday make a difference to someone in the world. Even just changing one person's view or opinion with my writing would be enough. Maybe someday I'll accomplish it.

And I also write to feel that I'm doing something useful with my life.

MaLanie1971
04-30-2009, 12:08 AM
1. I have always admired people that can express themselves beautifully
2. I enjoy expressing myself on paper but never did it publically until recently
3. My life is flying by and I want to leave at least one thing on this earth to show I was here
4. I like to defy the odds
5. I LOVE to learn, and writing requires research. In my case a lot of research.
6. If by some miracle of a chance I got published I want to take my kids to Disney World with the money I earned. (okay, I want to go too!)
7. The work environment suits me; solitude, socialize on my terms, go in on my terms, and stay in my robe all day with a cup of coffee glued to my hands.

Memnon624
04-30-2009, 12:25 AM
I write for the chicks, man . . . the chicks and the mad ducats!

JamieMT
04-30-2009, 12:29 AM
I write because I can't stop. I've tried to walk away completely several times, but keep getting pulled back. It's almost a curse, to be honest - but at the same time I love it, and have given up trying to fight it. Hence my renewed vigor this year, and my presence on the forums. If you can't escape it, embrace it, or something like that.

scarletpeaches
04-30-2009, 12:32 AM
I write for the chicks, man . . . the chicks and the mad ducats!

I write for the quatloos!

midknighthaze
04-30-2009, 12:35 AM
Well, I write fantasy. But...

I write to please myself and others.

I'm a very introverted person and the only way I *speak* my mind is when my inner thoughts are all down on paper.

I write to escape reality.

I write because when I'm dead and gone, at least a part of me is left behind. Crazy, no?

Polenth
04-30-2009, 01:01 AM
It's fun and I like sharing what I'm imagining. Earning enough to eat would also be good. So none of the poll options really apply.

Swampfox
04-30-2009, 01:23 AM
Because my imagination is taking over the rest of mah brain, and it don't like mah fingers........

Adam
04-30-2009, 01:38 AM
"None of the above."

I write because I enjoy it, and would quite like to make a living from it. I suppose the closest is "fame and fortune", but I don't care about fame, and I'd be happy making enough money to pay the bills. :)

scarletpeaches
04-30-2009, 01:44 AM
"None of the above."

I write because I enjoy it, and would quite like to make a living from it. I suppose the closest is "fame and fortune", but I don't care about fame, and I'd be happy making enough money to pay the bills. :)

And the groupies. You want groupies, right?

Izz
04-30-2009, 01:54 AM
And the groupies. You want groupies, right?I thought that was a given...

Adam
04-30-2009, 02:05 AM

Maybe a few... ;)

scribbler1382
04-30-2009, 02:57 AM
I had a very, very small taste of groupies a few years ago. I was on a panel at a Con in Chicago. After, three members of the audience proceeded to follow me around for the next two hours like they were my best friends. It was creepy as hell.

You can have the groupies. Gimme da cash! ;)

som1luvsmi
04-30-2009, 03:36 AM
I write because I love it. When I'm too inept to express myself verbally, I can do it in writing. It's one of the few things that come naturally to me.

Sean D. Schaffer
04-30-2009, 11:22 AM
I used to write because I loved it. Now I'm so worn out that I just want to know I didn't waste my life all these years. I haven't created anything new in months, and writing fiction is emotionally draining anymore. Still, I try to slog on because I know deep down if I can get the ball rolling, I'll be something good in life.

Also, I want to make a difference in the world, if possible. And I feel like there are some mistakes I've made in the past that I want to correct.

But writing hurts, all the same. I don't know why. I just know it does.

Manix
04-30-2009, 04:30 PM
I used to write because I loved it. Now I'm so worn out that I just want to know I didn't waste my life all these years. I haven't created anything new in months, and writing fiction is emotionally draining anymore. Still, I try to slog on because I know deep down if I can get the ball rolling, I'll be something good in life.

Also, I want to make a difference in the world, if possible. And I feel like there are some mistakes I've made in the past that I want to correct.

But writing hurts, all the same. I don't know why. I just know it does.

Writing hurts me when I feel something so deeply, so profoundly, that it wrecks me. That's when I can write the best. People don't want just fairy tales with endings of happily ever after--they want answers. We all share common experiences as human beings, some of us, worse than others, but we're all on this boat called the planet earth, so I want my time to have counted for something. Pain is never wasted if you choose to use it instead of just wallow. I'm not saying you are, Sean. I'm saying I do, and I have, but I decided to get pissed off about letting someone else rent space in my head. Now I'm on a better path.

Bubastes
04-30-2009, 04:33 PM
I write because I'm incurably nosy. Writing fiction allows me to ask my characters all sorts of rude questions that I wouldn't dare ask in real life. I love rooting through the lives of other people, even if they exist only in my own head.

Oh, and I'd like to make a living from this too. I find writing to be satisfying work. It's what I was meant to do.

Spiny Norman
05-01-2009, 02:59 AM
Why isn't "just havin' fun" one of the options?

Izz
05-01-2009, 03:07 AM
Why isn't "just havin' fun" one of the options?Fun? Whaddya mean, fun? Fun don't pay the bills, boy!

:D

I kid, i kid. Fun is the best reason to do anything, isn't it?

LaurieD
05-01-2009, 03:13 AM
I voted for fame and fortune, I mean, who wouldn't like a little fortune?

Actually, I write so my head doesn't explode.

SPMiller
05-01-2009, 03:41 AM
And the groupies. You want groupies, right?1) Publish a few popular books.
2) Attend fan conference.
3) Reveal identity to con girls.
4) ???
5) Profit.

(I just know that's how it'll go...............)

Fun? Whaddya mean, fun? Fun don't pay the bills, boy!Actually, fun really doesn't pay the bills.

The Lonely One
05-01-2009, 04:00 AM
I will say overall happiness and a religion in my honor.

And groupies, why not.

Izz
05-01-2009, 04:02 AM
Actually, fun really doesn't pay the bills.No, but the bills you rack up over the course of having fun are worth it.

scarletpeaches
05-01-2009, 04:07 AM
Fun is for pussies.

Izz
05-01-2009, 04:08 AM
Fun is for pussies.If you say so...

SPMiller
05-01-2009, 04:16 AM
Fun is for pussies.I considered rearranging that sentence a bit, then thought better of it.

The Lonely One
05-01-2009, 04:21 AM
I have got to get away from my co-workers--"that's what she said" comes to mind way too prevalently.

barbilarry
05-01-2009, 11:17 PM
To escape from the pain of life and in its place give a voice to what I really have to say which is f==k off nay sayers. Satisfaction in creating something I am proud of. Having someone say, "you know that is one way of saying (xyz) I never thought of." or "Your right about that." Or "You Changed my life." or Thank you for (Whatever) It changed my life."
Jane

White-Tean
05-02-2009, 02:20 PM
Just out of curiosity, does everyone here know why they are writing? I mean, I'm writing, hopefully to make a difference in the world, to live out my own fantasies (I write fantasy mostly), and I find writing is often recreational for me. But there are other reasons to write, other than just to make money. (Besides, if you want money, there are other professions a lot more lucrative, I imagine)

Why do you write? What are the stakes for you?

I chose the truth option. I write because I have a robust imagination and it puts all these ideas in my head and the only way to satisfy and exhaust theses ideas is to follow them and develop them and polish them, because I've read a lot of books I've enjoyed and I need to make sure a book I write will be as enjoyable.

I want to tell these stories that keep forming themselves in my head, and hopefully be able to pursue the writing of them until they're good enough and interesting enough and represent that first spark of an idea I had while containing so much more interesting and clever things than I'd ever even expected.

With that being my main dream with my drive to actually get published isn't that high - sure it would be nice if more people read my work and could give me feedback, but for me the main thing is just getting some satisfactory resolution for these ideas ALL IDEAS IN MY HEAD ALL THE TIME. Must get them out.

But anyway, while it might be nice and interesting to become a published author and then get the drive to write even more stories from the ideas (in my head, have I mentioned them?) it's not my main concern really. I can use InDesign (a program for designing page layouts and whatnot), I'm studying as an illustrator and I know how to bind my own hardcover books by hand, so I can actually make a manuscript into something I can hold as a reasonably attractive corporeal book, so that's an urge I can self-satisfy.

So yeah, I just want to tell the stories I've against my will thought of in good, polished, professional standard, interesting ways.

LAWolf
05-02-2009, 06:09 PM
My answer isn't an option:

Writing heals me. Writing is the thing that brought me out of a depression. It is the continuity that strings my life together. It is something that everyone in my life has said I do well. It is something that brings me joy (even on the bad days...or the string of bad days). It is something that brings me to connect with my world and reach beyond to explore (a big deal for an introvert like me).

Sure, I'd like publication, but I'm not sure what my goals for publication would be.

Gary
05-02-2009, 09:44 PM
None of the above. It's one of the few desires I have that isn't fattening, doesn't give me lung cancer, and doesn't make me wonder what I did the night before.

Danalynn
06-06-2009, 11:35 AM
I would've picked the Orlando Bloom button, too. :D

Writing has always been a passion for me. It's one of the few things in my life that I'm actually fairly good at.

Having said that, I write because it's in my BLOOD. Because when I'm not writing, I'm thinking about writing.

I had to take a couple months off from writing recently due to an overly busy schedule, and I had actual pangs of longing for it every day. When things finally settled down and I got back into my WIP a couple weeks ago, I wrote 4K words in 3 days -- which is a record for me. I think the most I've ever written is 3K in 3 days. Almost wrote another thousand on the fourth day, too. I guess it REALLY wanted OUT of my head and onto the page. lol!

So for me, writing is all about doing what I LOVE to do (and trying not to suck at it). ;)

:e2point:

aadams73
06-06-2009, 01:25 PM
I write because I enjoy it. If I didn't, I wouldn't.

aadams73
06-06-2009, 01:27 PM

We get groupies?? Excellent. :D I shall be mistress of all I survey, controlling people with my golden words.

Cassiopeia
06-06-2009, 01:30 PM
Can I be just like aadams when I grow up? ;)

swvaughn
06-06-2009, 05:17 PM
I write 'cuz I'm too insecure and ugly to act.

ChaosTitan
06-06-2009, 09:55 PM
I write because I have stories to tell, and I entertain myself by telling them.

We get groupies?? Excellent. :D I shall be mistress of all I survey, controlling people with my golden words.

Groupies?! *wants*

Summonere
06-06-2009, 10:45 PM
What are you hoping to accomplish in your work?

Fun.