What are you hoping to accomplish in your work?

What are the stakes for you--why write?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
Just out of curiosity, does everyone here know why they are writing? I mean, I'm writing, hopefully to make a difference in the world, to live out my own fantasies (I write fantasy mostly), and I find writing is often recreational for me. But there are other reasons to write, other than just to make money. (Besides, if you want money, there are other professions a lot more lucrative, I imagine)

Why do you write? What are the stakes for you?

Inky

Eat, Sleep, Write...
Registered
Reaction score
I write because if I don't, it's the equivalent of showing up for school--minus my pants.
I'm naked without prose.

The genre I write, and break most of the 'formula' rules, is due to becoming increasingly fed up with 1) Never able to find the stories that I wish were written, (2) Authors taking 400 pages for 3 pages of plot, or being a fabulous writer until they're famous...and then they slap together complete shit, as if they no longer have to try... (3) There IS more to romance than erotica by page three, and more to fantasy than the over-killed plot: forbidden magicks, or every other page an epic battle...

AND...

*drum roll*
Dark fantasy CAN be combined with serious romance and STILL be a damn good story.

and because I'm too stubborn to take no for an answer...

Last edited:

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
None of your options I'm afraid. I write cos it's fun and it gives the voices in my head somewhere to go. Helpfully, it keeps me off the streets and out of trouble. Mostly.

1) Never able to find the stories that I wish were written,

And this. Times ooh about 78.

unicornjam

Registered
Reaction score
I write because throughout my life people have told me I'm good at it and it's enjoyable. Most of my stories are about minorities and I want to people to be aware that we're still struggling.

But I want to be a journalist because I feel there's a decline in journalistic standards (like reporting about Paris Hilton in jail...) and I want to make a difference. Cliche, but true.

Reaction score
I want fame, fortune and to get laid a lot.

And to feel like I haven't wasted the time I had.

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
I'm not real sure if my reason was on there... I write the stories I want to read. I love fantasy, but don't find the kind of stories I want to get lost in... so I write my own. I'm not saying my life will be a waste if I never publish, because I don't know if that is a possibility - hey, maybe nobody else wants 'to read what I do - but I love to write. And I've lived in an alternate reality since I became of the regular one.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I'm a graphic memoir writer as you know Manix. I had a rough life but as people here can tell I'm not the person I write about anymore. It's like writing a biography for me--the thing is that I'm one of the very few to survive my generation. If you're young, I'm not your parents, I'm the screwed up uncle--but that leaves me with a story.

I feel like the voice of generation that time wants to forget.

I fired a ten time published author and cowriter with a publisher asking for it to write this mess myself, and that may sound stupid to you (it sounds stupid to me too) but I wanted it to be in my voice.

I was here too.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Writing is an incredible intellectual challenge in which a lifelong learning philosophy can show tangible benefits--I want to respond to the constant challenge to improve.

Last edited:

Little Earthquake

I'm melting!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
smoochagator.com
I've lately joked that I used to think I was exceptional (that I had some GREAT IDEA to impart to the world), but now I'm thinking that I just want to be happy. I say to myself, "Yes, fame & fortune would be lovely. Having my BRILLIANT IDEAS change the world would be so awesome. But do I need either one to make my life complete?" No, not really.

brokenfingers

Walkin' That Road
Registered
Reaction score
I’m hoping to inspire intergalactic peace and establish myself as the premier human writer across all dimensions for all time.

C.M.C.

Archetype
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.freewebs.com
Certain things I write because I enjoy the process. Other things, like my book, I write because I want to prove to myself that I can do it.

Izz

Doing the Space Operatic
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.justgoodfiction.com
None of the answers in the poll apply to me, either. I write because I love to write and because I love to tell stories. If I don't write then I'm an unhappy man.

Last edited:

Rarri

Registered
Reaction score
I write because i couldn't keep running away from writing. It's an integral part of me, hard to explain! Writing brings me solace though and i hope, also, that my writing might one day be published, but i wouldn't consider it the end of the world if my work wasn't published. I get satisfaction just knowing i've written.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
I would have picked Orlando Bloom... I don't know why I write. I just do. I really like creating people and worlds out of words plucked from my head.

Having my villain the object of people's nightmares would be cool, though.

lmz

Registered
Reaction score
My answer is missing from your poll.

You ever think of a really good comeback about two minutes too late? Yeah, I'm like that too. This may sound odd, but...writing to me is like having that really mind-blowing comeback on the tip of my tongue and being unable to say it quick enough.

It's about coming up short.

I can never write enough, never sum up what I need to say in one short sentence. And so I write. And I write. And I write.

Writing is my passion; without it I would burst from all the endless possibilities and characters and plots and personalities circling around in my brain.

It's not just something I enjoy, it's not just a way to pass the time, it's not just something I was told I was good at and so decided to pursue, or something I hope to one day get rich off of; it's pretty much everything.

I NEED to write.

(I suppose I could have just written that one sentence and been done with it.)

deserata

writerly painter
Registered
Reaction score
My choices probably make me look like I write didactic stuff, but I don't. It's pretty simple to me: art is about unearthing a truth. And I will be happy if something I wrote left a lasting impact on someone....

lovesaphira

'Here's my card'
Registered
Reaction score
umm well....my reason wasn't up there so i went with fame and fortune. But that's only my second reason for writing. lol.
My first reason is because it's something i love doing. I read a lot of books, specifically YA because that's what i am, and start thinking that i want to write something like that. But i've always liked writing stories since i was little. Mind you i get incredibly embarrassed when i go and read them again. lol :D

benbradley

It's a doggy dog world
Registered
Reaction score
I voted for the four most popular responses, for what that's worth.

I'd like to think I have something to say, and that at least a little of it is something others haven't already said before. I've spent much of my life inhaling information, and I've learned a few things and formed a few opinions on the way, and maybe I get get some of that out in writing.

Status
Not open for further replies.