PDA

View Full Version : Deseret Book Co. / Shadow Mountain Publishing

thegirlwhowrites
04-26-2009, 11:26 AM
Does anyone know anything about Shadow Mountain Publishing? www.shadowmountain.com (http://www.shadowmountain.com/)

priceless1
04-26-2009, 05:30 PM
Well, one of their books made the NYT bestseller's list, so they must be doing something right.

C.T. Richmond
04-26-2009, 07:23 PM
Yep, they've had a few books on the NYT Bestsellers list. And they have a popular list of MG books: the LEVEN THUMPS series and the FABLEHAVEN series.

Just FYI: Shadow Mountain is a general-trade imprint of Deseret Book, which is owned by the Mormon Church. I've noticed most Shadow Mountain authors are Mormons too. This isn't to say that you have to be Mormon to get published by Shadow Mountain. On their website, it says they are looking for books that generally reflect "traditional Christian values."

thegirlwhowrites
04-26-2009, 08:05 PM
Thanks for your responses. I didn't know the LEVEN THUMPS series and the FABLEHAVEN series are Christian books. They sure don't look like they are. lol

CaoPaux
04-27-2009, 08:04 PM
Adding link to parent company: http://deseretbook.com/

litgirl
05-05-2009, 09:25 PM
Shadow Mountain is the general trade imprint of Deseret Book, so they aren't particularly religious-themed books; just something that someone might read for fun and not be generally offended by it. (For example, a novel promoting premarital sex probably won't show up on their list.) They seem to have really exploded in the midgrade fantasy department; seriously, every time I'm at Barnes and Noble they have another book/series on the "just released" shelf.

litgirl
08-20-2011, 07:37 PM
Just popping this thread up again, wondering if anyone has had any experiences publishing with them. Thanks!

Krista G.
08-20-2011, 08:37 PM
I've submitted manuscripts to both Deseret Book and Shadow Mountain - one to each, if I remember right - and been rejected both times. At least we can say they're not taking just everyone who wanders in off the street :)

I've also spoken to one of their editors on the phone. My mother accosted her on the bus one day (my mom doesn't know a lot about the publishing industry, but she knows enough to be able to tell this woman was reading a manuscript), and she expressed interest in speaking with me when she found out I was a writer with a manuscript requested by multiple agents. We spoke for about half an hour, and I found her to be kind and knowledgeable. The last thing she said to me was, "Well, now you know at editor at Deseret Book, so feel free to get in touch!"

As several others have mentioned, Shadow Mountain published Brandon Mull's Fablehaven series, and Ally Condie, author of MATCHED and CROSSED, published multiple novels with both Deseret Book and Shadow Mountain before seeking an agent. Shadow Mountain in particular seems to specialize in MG fantasy and sci-fi, so if you have a manuscript that fits either of those genres, I wouldn't hesitate to submit it to them.

litgirl
08-22-2011, 02:43 AM
Thanks, Krista! MG sci-fi, hm...

Undercover
06-22-2012, 07:14 PM
Another YA Publisher that's not listed here:

http://www.shadowmountain.com/

Anyone have dealings with them?

profen4
06-22-2012, 07:39 PM
Another YA Publisher that's not listed here:

http://www.shadowmountain.com/

Anyone have dealings with them?

Pretty sure they have a thread. They're an imprint of Deseret. One of their best sellers is Fablehaven, which is a mega best seller on all the charts.

Undercover
06-22-2012, 07:47 PM
Thanks Profen, I'll check it out.

K. Victoria Chase
06-22-2012, 09:26 PM
I'm confused. They have an email address for submissions, but in their guide, it says send a hardcopy of the manuscript with your query via snail mail. Did anyone email their complete manuscript?

profen4
06-22-2012, 11:01 PM
I'm confused. They have an email address for submissions, but in their guide, it says send a hardcopy of the manuscript with your query via snail mail. Did anyone email their complete manuscript?

I think the allowing email submissions is new. I sent them (via email) a query + synopsis and heard back with a request for a partial. I sent that, and the request became a full. All done via email. So it seems email is fine, if it's done that way.

Undercover
06-22-2012, 11:18 PM
I sent them a query via the email too and got a confirmation that they received it and will review it, so I think using that email is perfectly fine.

K. Victoria Chase
06-22-2012, 11:18 PM
I think the allowing email submissions is new. I sent them (via email) a query + synopsis and heard back with a request for a partial. I sent that, and the request became a full. All done via email. So it seems email is fine, if it's done that way.

Awesome. Thank you, Profen! :-) Good luck on your sub!!!

K. Victoria Chase
06-23-2012, 01:40 AM
I sent them a query via the email too and got a confirmation that they received it and will review it, so I think using that email is perfectly fine.

Heaven help us. That email response said they check their submission box ONCE a week and it will take 12-16 weeks before they respond. I just sent a query...

John G Nelson
06-23-2012, 02:07 AM
Deseret Book is a Mormon (LDS) book publisher. It'll have to be pass their censors.

K. Victoria Chase
06-29-2012, 02:02 AM
Partial request after six days.

greeneyes
06-29-2012, 05:03 AM
Congrats! :partyguy:

Glad to hear the 12-16 week response time is more of an estimate than a reality.

AlishaS
07-22-2012, 05:30 AM
I'm a little late to updating, I sent a query, it was about two weeks ago, and then I got a request for a partial about six days later. It's now been about a week so I get to just sit back and wait.

K. Victoria Chase
07-22-2012, 05:59 AM
Awesome Alisha! I'm still waiting to hear back on my partial so getting close to a month here...

AlishaS
07-23-2012, 05:05 AM
Awesome Alisha! I'm still waiting to hear back on my partial so getting close to a month here...

Oh wow. So I guess I shouldn't be complaining about my week without a word :)

I have my fingers crossed for you! And Me!

ChelseaWriter
08-07-2012, 02:12 AM
I sent three chapters, back in May. In June, I got a confirmation that it was received, and the wait could be 3-4 months. Haven't heard anything yet...

ETA - congrats to Profen and Victoria! Best of luck on your submissions!

Profen - what sort of wait time did you have, in between requests? Just curious...

ChelseaWriter
08-07-2012, 03:51 AM

I was confused, too. I took a chance and sent three chapters via that email address. I got a confirmation about a month later, saying it's in their queue now.

K. Victoria Chase
08-07-2012, 03:58 AM
Yeah, I sent a query and got a request for the first three chapters which I sent on June 28th. Thank you for the wait time--good to know.

AlishaS
08-07-2012, 07:32 AM
I second, thanks for the wait time. I haven't gotten a conformation email yet though...

K. Victoria Chase
11-10-2012, 04:08 AM
Finally received a rejection on my 1st three chapters sent June 28th.

Happy I've sold the manuscript. :-)

K. Victoria Chase
11-10-2012, 04:11 AM
Here's what others may expect:

"We are always pleased to see new ideas, and we have now completed our review of this material. I discussed your manuscript with several people within the publishing department, including our Product Manager over the Proper Romance genre. It is obvious that you have invested a considerable amount of time and energy into this project. Our publishing schedule is quite competitive, however, and as we look carefully at all the issues involved in publication, we are forced to be extremely selective in our publishing decisions. I am sorry to inform you that we are not in a position to pursue this project with you. While we enjoyed the concept of your story, we didn’t feel it was the best fit for us. Unfortunately, the demands of our editorial workload prevent us from sending detailed comments about your work."

Hope this helps!

LMT
01-07-2014, 12:31 AM
I subbed about a month ago and the auto-repsponse said they would get back in 12 weeks. Does anyone have recent experience with Shadow Mountain?

MorganS
06-13-2014, 05:47 AM
I had my agent submit to them last summer and they got back to me with a no about a month later. Now I've decided to submit to them on my own with a new book. Queried on June 8th. I'm sure I've got a wait ahead of me… but I LOVE the books this publisher distributes. :-)

MorganS
08-07-2014, 02:13 AM
I'm a little disappointed with the communication at Shadow Mountain. They've always been at the top of my list, and when I received interest I was so excited! But I've since received two other offers of publication and after contacting them a couple times, they haven't responded to either my agent or me. I definitely understand if they're not interested, but they should at least acknowledge or reject, since there was initial interest. Oh well! Only so much time until contracts need to be signed and move on! And I suppose everyone communicates differently! :(

RunMomRun
08-18-2014, 04:55 AM
Just FYI - I submitted a manuscript to Deseret Book back in May and my 12 weeks are up, however after inquiry they e-mailed me and let me know they have an unusually large number of manuscripts and are struggling to catch up. So anything recently submitted to them is delayed!

writera
11-03-2017, 01:35 AM
Any updates on this publisher?

Undercover
03-29-2019, 04:26 PM
Any new info on these guys? Does anyone know if they pay advances?