Boxing ... What's the big deal?

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
My husband is forcing me to watch some boxing match between some guy and some Filipino guy. I have no interest whatsoever, but am trying to root for the Filipino guy since that's my husband's pick.

But WHY do people watch it? They say it takes skill, but all I see are two guys bouncing around and flailing at each other with oversized kitchen mitts on their hands.

Am I missing something? Is enjoying boxing carried on the Y chromosome? (I don't see any women in the audience as they show crowd shots.)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
It's barbarism--civilized as they claim it is--it's barbarism.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
You've got me. I don't understand it either. Or any of those other forms of 'sports' that involve large sweaty guys bashing at one another. I do know some women who like it, but I'll pass.

MM

rugcat

Lost in the Fog
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jlevitt.com
I used to box. It takes unbelievable skill and conditioning, beyond anything you can imagine. And those oversized kitchen mitts are there mostly to protect the boxer's hands -- a hard shot by a skilled amateur feels like an explosion -- I can't even imagine what it feels like to get hit by a pro.

But I think the attraction of one on one fighting is basically a male thing -- although there are a few female boxers, and fans as well.

Your husband is of course talking about the upcoming Manny Pacquiao / Ricky Hatton fight. It should be incredible -- but I can't believe he's making you watch it. I doubt that you'll enjoy it, and I doubt you'll ever care much for boxing -- it's like Sci Fi or broccoli -- either you like them or you don't, and anyone who thinks you can be talked into it if you don't is fooling themselves.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
I like American Football--but at least the progress in the game is measurable. They take something from one point to another. One side tries to stop the other. It makes at least a little sense.

But boxing is just 2 guys flailing around at each other trying to hurt each other and in the end, they haven't done anything but sweat and get beat up. Nothing's gained. No measurable success unless one of them gets beaten to the point they can't get up. And then, what have they accomplished? They knocked one guy down. BFD.

ETA: Thank you Rugcat. You posted while I was writing my reply. I guess I just don't see the point in beating people up unless you're gong to gain something measurable. It just seems like a lot of trouble and pain in disproportion to any benefits.

Last edited:

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
I spent years boxing/kickboxing and teaching self-defense and fighting of all sorts. I love to box, I love to watch it. And I'm a chick.

Ricky Hatton is one of my favorite fighters at the moment due to his focus on working the body. I love it!! Toss in mixed martial arts, take downs, kicks, holds, bare feet and no gloves and I'm in heaven.

Ask me how many bones I've broken fighting ;)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
either you like them or you don't, and anyone who thinks you can be talked into it if you don't is fooling themselves.

The same can be said for The Three Stooges.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
The same can be said for The Three Stooges.

Yeah. That's another thing I don't get. They aren't funny at all. I've never laughed at any 3 Stooges bit. And I love comedy and humor.

ETA: I love Monty Python humor and my husband doesn't get it at all, sees no humore in them. But he thought 3 Stooges were funny.

Last edited:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Your husband is a normal lovable man-dope. You can put a panel of psychiatrists in a room to watch the three stooges and they'll laugh.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Personally, I find it barbaric. Never understood the attraction.

Quick fact that I nicked from QI (if Stephen Fry speaks it, it MUST be true.):

Before boxing gloves were mandatory in boxing matches, there were NO deaths. Due to the fact that punching someone bare knuckled bloody hurts. :)

caitysdad

Registered
Reaction score
boxing to me is like golf. well, better than golf because at least in boxing some guy's face may be knocked off into the 3rd row. where was I? Oh, yeah. Boxing is like gulf because to play either well is incredibly demanding and difficult, but I can't watch either on TV? George Carlin said all you need to know about watching golf on TV

Old Hack

Such a nasty woman
Super Moderator
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Ask me how many bones I've broken fighting ;)

How many bones have you broken fighting, Tiny?

(And of those, what percentage is your own?)

Last edited:

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I love that people who smoke drink or do drugs and do to their brain what is done to a boxers brain they're told it's a sin to destroy their bodies that way. Since people enjoy watching two people beat each other into an early grave they're called "Gladiators" and "Heros"

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
I used to watch boxing, Oscar de la Hoya was my fav. I don't watch it anymore because of the corruption and the meaningless of some of the titles. But my dad and I used to bond over boxing. (I'm a girl) My brother is crazy over Ultimate Fighting and keeps trying to convince me to watch it but I know i'll get hooked and I don't want to be. Intellectually I realize it's somewhat barbaric but viscerally I love it. One of these days I'm going to read every novel written about boxing. I can't help it. I'm fascinated by the culture.

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
But WHY do people watch it?

Guy+boxer.jpg

That's why! :D

There is undoubtedly something primal about boxing but I genuinely enjoy it as a sport. It rewards fitness, speed and agility much more than people give it credit for. There tends to be a civility in boxing (that may not be immediately apparent) for the safety of an opponent.

I am regularly turned off by wrestling (especially some of the hardcore varieties as seen in The Wrestler) but have never found boxing to be as savage as wrestling or as glorifying of violence (just IMO).

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
It's my guilty pleasure. On cable late at night, between Kurosawa DVDs :rolleyes: :ROFL:

There's certainly a talent and a raw athleticism that is vital to the sport. Ali, Evander Holyfield, and yes, even Iron Mike (and the only man to beat him, Buster Douglas :D ) bring a grace and endurance and strategy that goes above and beyond the caveman testosterone. Of course, not as much as say, martial arts - anyone for Muay Thai?

mario_c

Your thoughts are not real...
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.mariocaiti.com
I am regularly turned off by wrestling (especially some of the hardcore varieties as seen in The Wrestler) but have never found boxing to be as savage as wrestling or as glorifying of violence (just IMO).
Now THAT is a scary sport (an obviously theatrical sport, but you know what I mean). There are 'backyard' and other unlicensed wrestling videos out there that will turn your stomach.

Millicent M'Lady

Exploring the infinite abyss
Registered
Reaction score
Now THAT is a scary sport (an obviously theatrical sport, but you know what I mean). There are 'backyard' and other unlicensed wrestling videos out there that will turn your stomach.

Have you seen The Wrestler? I had a lot of watched-through-fingers moments with some of the more brutal fights. At least in boxing, nobody's intending to land on your head with a bodyslam...

MattW

Company Man
Registered
Reaction score
I've studied kickboxing (not as much as Terror I'm sure). I'm a cerebral, writerly kind of guy, nonathletic, and I never got into organized team sports (much less watch them), but kickboxing was something else.

It was all me - I pushed my physical limits with no one else to control how far I went. I would hit the heavy bag every day at lunch, outside of training, and work on endurance and technique. I was never good, but my mind and body found a balance and rhythm I haven't known, and can only compare to being in "the zone" when writing or programming. Everything else went quiet, time felt slower, and all I would focus on was the sparring partner, the dummy, or the forms.

tiny

riding the sun
Registered
Reaction score
Southern California between the Desert and the Mou
Website
www.facebook.com
How many bones have you broken fighting, Tiny?

(And of those, what percentage is your own?)

I only count my own :D ... my orbital bone, thumb, two fingers, three ribs, two teeth, nose, and two vertebrae (c1 and c2 in my neck). So, twelve. I miss it, desperately.

EDIT *** Oh dang, my foot and my wrist. 14 :D

Last edited:

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I don't get it, but I watch it on the rare occasion when hubby wants to.

I'l never forget sitting around at my old flat with a bunch of guys who spent the entire day drinking and watching the build up to a big fight, only for David Tua to knock his opponent out in 20 seconds.
You should have heard the boos! He apologised for the short fight :)

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk

While I'm not a huge fan of the real hardcore stuff, I'll admit I LOVE the wrestling. Yes I know it's theatrical but I feel nothing for admiration for men who put themselves through some of the those moves, KNOWING how much it's gonna hurt and doing it as full on as they can anyway for a 'Good Show'

And when you see one of them, say , rip a quad off and still finish a match by climbing up on a table and pedigreeing someone because the Show Must Go On, that's when you've seen some real intestinal fortitude.

Sheer bloody guts is an attractive quality in a guy, IMO

Yes I'm weird. But physical courage is an admirable quality in my religion. So there. :D

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
Millicent M'Lady - I have no idea who that is in that picture and, honestly, he does nothing for me. Sorry, but he reminds me of a skinhead punk or something. No offense meant to anyone, but that look isn't attractive to me.