PDA

View Full Version : Appaloosa was appalling, Ed.

Gehanna
04-26-2009, 05:58 AM
Equally appalling are the positive reviews. Come now critics. Have you sacrificed honesty for tenure?

It is because of Ed Harris' tenure that I expected better. For example:

Who, in their right mind, would cast Renee Zellweger in a Western? Now that I've seen this movie, I dislike her as an actress more than ever. If she has been in other Western films, please don't tell me. I don't want to know.

Viggo Mortensen, I hope your acting is better in Good. I've not seen any variation in your character's dispositions since LOTR. I'm getting sick of your somberness.

I'm soo disappointed by this film that I'll have to re-watch 3:10 to Yuma just to snap out of it.

Gehanna

Williebee
04-26-2009, 06:01 AM
Renee Zellweger was awful, and just the wrong person for the part.

And some of what they did to the story (for the movie) was kind of sad.

Mortensen's stoic portrayal at least fit the part.

nevada
04-26-2009, 06:33 AM
I loved Appaloosa. I loved Ed and Viggo's relationship. The most telling part was when Squintyface accused Viggo of making advances and Ed didn't even question Viggo's denial, he trusted his friend more than anyone, even the woman he loved.

I hated squintyface Zelwegger, but I could deal with it for the sake of the movie.

I think Viggo's character was very different from Aragorn. but then I think he's a great actor who is extremely undervalued.

Haven't seen 3:10 to Yuma yet.

kristie911
04-28-2009, 06:54 AM
I loved Appaloosa.

Hated Renee though. I always do.

CDaniel
04-28-2009, 07:06 AM
As I do love the western genra--a lot, was not disappointed with this film.

I think Viggo fits well in a western.

Now as for the remake of 3:10 to Yuma, I say save your money. It was the worst thing I've ever seen.

If you want to watch 3:10 to Yuma, I recomend the first one with Glenn Ford.

bettielee
04-28-2009, 07:11 AM
Ed and Viggo had great chemistry. :D

I know this came from a book - but I found the Renee character unbelievable because of the time. And for a man to ask a well-dressed, well-heeled woman if she was a prostitute -?-!-?- That scene just didn't jive for me. No woman (probably even a prostitute) would take that question so evenly. If she was a hooker, she would have offered her services, and if not - the top of her head would have exploded and she would have been horrified.

dgiharris
04-28-2009, 07:15 AM
As for 3:10 to Yuma,

I didn't see the original. I thought it was o.k. up until the last 10 - 15 minutes. WTF was that? Made no sense to me.

Based on your recommendation, i'll watch the original.

As for Westerns in general. I tend to like the older versions compared to the new, with the exception being Tombstone.

Val Kilmer was INCREDIBLE in his role as Doc Holiday. Probably his best performance.

Kurt Russel was great as Wyatt Earp

I can't picture Renee Zelwegger in that time period, everytime I see her my mind automatically thinks 'romantic comedy'.

Mel...

nevada
04-28-2009, 09:14 AM
I just watched 3:10 to Yuma. Meh. heard great things about it. It was very predictable with stock characters, stock situations, and an ending that was photographed a mile away. Give me a break.

Here's how i see the prostitute scene in Appaloosa. Ed Harris's dealing with women is obviously through prostitutes. It's how he thinks of them. And Zelwegger, while not a prostitute, might as well be one and I'm sure she's very aware of that. Also she was there as a total set-up, her only reason for being there was to hook Ed Harris. So it wouldn't do her any good to blow up like a proper lady. She has never been a proper lady so she wouldn't know to do that. She's only pretending to be one. And in her dealings with men, all of them sexual, being offended by a sexual remark has never occurred to her because 1) it's how men deal with her and 2) it's how she deals with them.