Fictional Linguists?

Status
Not open for further replies.

bohololita

Ok, this may seem strange, but I need the name of either a fictional character known for speaking many languages, a mediator, an interpreter, or something to that extent.
I can't think of one at the moment, so I was hoping someone here might be able to help.
It's going to be used a reference in a short story I'm working on.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
I blanked out on everything except comic books. Warlock from Marvel comics could do that. If the literary parts of my brain decide to cooperate I'll be back.

bohololita

Warlock just might work. One of my other references ended up being from x-men because there simply wasn't another literary character that could fit the description of human computer, at least not one that I was aware of.

Deleted member 42

Ok, this may seem strange, but I need the name of either a fictional character known for speaking many languages, a mediator, an interpreter, or something to that extent.
I can't think of one at the moment, so I was hoping someone here might be able to help.
It's going to be used a reference in a short story I'm working on.

Rydra Wong in Delany's Babel 17.

Also Janet Kagan, an SF writer who died last year wrote a brilliant SF novel about linguists and linguistics called Hellspark, with the main character named Tocohl.

And there's a "feminist linguistic" series by a woman whose name I can't remember . . . a linguist, writing about linguists. Gah. Someone else wil remember.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Brother Stephen from Keyes' Thorn and Bone trilogy knew an awful lot about linguistics, at least as far as fantasy settings go.

Fulk

Occasional Contributer
Registered
Reaction score
C-3P0. "Fluent in more than six million forms of communication."

While not a character per se, there's always the Babel fish ala Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

Priene

Out to lunch
Registered
Reaction score
William of Baskerville in Umberto Eco's The Name of the Rose fits your description.

Dawnstorm

punny user title, here
Registered
Reaction score
Henry Higgins from My Fair Lady is probably the exact opposite of what you need. (You don't need a langauge snob, if I'm mistaken.)

Thinking of Rex Harrison, how about Dr. Doolittle? (Though that's fairly unlinguistic and more intuitive.)

Anyway, I think the prize goes to Fulk for mentioning C-3PO. Well known and fitting, IMO.

IceCreamEmpress

Hapless Virago
Registered
Reaction score
I think you mean "polyglot" here--"linguists" are people who study the structure of languages, while "polyglots" are people who speak many languages.

I can't think of a character who is a byword for fluency in many languages, though. Both Sherlock Holmes and Nero Wolfe are said to speak many languages, but that's not their key quality. Usually when people use a literary referent for language fluency, they cite the Babelfish from The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy.

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net

C3PO.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.