PDA

View Full Version : What's the story on Synarchy 2012?

Team 2012
04-25-2009, 10:29 PM
Just what the hell is this thing? It looks fascinating, but none of us are gamers and are having a hard time figuring it out.

We signed up for it (for obvious reasons, given the names involved) and were immediately banned without a single post (also obvious now that we got enough smarts to think about it: we would appear to them as nothing but a competitor spamming them, most likely)

But we're curious at this point just to know what's going on there? Among other things, it seems to be a book writing itself. Is this an "RPG game" or what?

Thanks

Oh yeah... http://www.synarchy2012.com/

whistlelock
04-26-2009, 12:44 AM
Just from glancing through their forums- fan fiction.

Well, fan fiction is probably not right because it's hard to tell what they're a fan of. But the generally low craftsmanship for all the posted shorts or chapters or whatever they are leads me to think fanfic.

DragonHeart
04-26-2009, 05:28 PM
Looks like a fairly extensive role playing forum. I started out writing by participating in such things. The quality usually is low, but they've managed to keep it active, a rather impressive feat imo. Most RP forums like that one never get off the ground.

Team 2012
04-26-2009, 07:03 PM
Ah. So that's what RPG's are? Writing episodes in a structure, like that forum provides?

Interesting. More interesting... they have a book out. Is this a common result of such games?

Thanks for the input here, by the way.

whistlelock
04-26-2009, 08:27 PM
Ah. So that's what RPG's are? Writing episodes in a structure, like that forum provides?

No. role-playing games, if you are talking about video games, are nothing like that. There is a narrative structure to the games, and you play through that story.

I am sure we can quickly generate a list of great rpg's to play.

I would put that site more into the collaborative world than a game or role-playing game.

DragonHeart
04-26-2009, 08:37 PM
RPGs generally refer to video games, the forum version is generally just called role playing, or RP for short. It's basically a text-based RPG, though most aren't nearly as expansive. In my experience, anyways. It's all for fun really, lots of RPs are fanfiction but plenty are original as well.

As for the book, I'm not sure. I've never heard of anything RP-based turning into a book. A quick Google didn't pick up anything about the publisher. It might be a sort of companion to the RP or based on it. I can't say for sure.

DCS
05-25-2010, 07:50 PM
Low and behold after web searching the name of my game I come across this a year later. A little late, but hey better late than never imo.

Just for the sake of clarification, Synarchy 2012 is a text based role-playing game (and btw, we take amused offense at our post quality being called low :) )

Text based RPGs revolve around characters and their created storylines. For those not familiar at all, think of it like acting online, or writing a book with a bunch of other people contributing. Synarchy 2012 is science-fiction with a touch of fantasy. I created a world that would survive based solely upon player participation but more importantly their creativity. The sky is the limit in Synarchy, I've simply created the board on which to draw.

We're always looking for new players and we absolutely adore groups. To learn more about the game visit www.commandcenter.synarchy2012.com (http://www.commandcenter.synarchy2012.com/). You'll find world history, even a game trailer.

As far as the book goes, I did write a novel, and you'll find the main characters of the book in the world of Synarchy. This means that as a roleplayer you get to interact with characters from the novel. The game operates on a slightly different timeline than the book, however we think it's a pretty cool twist. To learn more about the book visit www.synarchynovel.com (http://www.synarchynovel.com/) or you can visit the authors website (mine) at www.themindofdcs.com (http://www.themindofdcs.com/). Synarchy Book 1: The Awakening is already out and available at both Amazon and offthebookshelf.com for all you e-readers. The second novel, The Ascension is due out in July.

Sorry to beat a seriously dead horse, I just felt compelled to clear that up.

Namaste!
DCS