PDA

View Full Version : I may be writing a romance by accident

KCathy
04-25-2009, 08:08 PM
My plot is about child abuse and a benevolent kidnapping to prevent a foster child being returned to a horrible parent. I had this idea in my head that it would be a thriller and included lots of action in my plot.

One of my wonderful beta readers (who's especially good at tone and plotting) mentioned last week, around page 20, that it felt like a romantic comedy and that she was more interested in the developing relationship between the protags than the kidnapping. I'm accidentally writing a romance! About halfway through asking myself how this happened, it hit me that I've been on a Sandra Brown/Nora Roberts binge for about the last year. Ohhhhhhhh.

There's no way I'm going to try to make it more serious when I'm having so much fun, just so I can feel like it's important or marketable to a broader market. Too many authors advise writing what you love. I'll keep the plot, but I'm keeping the tone, too.

Have you ever been surprised by the way your book began to turn out, contrary to your idea of how it would? Have you noticed that your writing tends to have tonal or plot similarities to that of your favorite authors?

Chumplet
04-25-2009, 08:24 PM
Haha! That happens to me all the time! I keep trying to write romance but they end up being suspense or thrillers. I should just bend to my muse's will.

Mr Flibble
04-25-2009, 08:46 PM
I meant to write a straight action fantasy. But the romance kept popping up...In the end it took over.

It is what it is. Run with it!

Matera the Mad
04-26-2009, 04:45 AM
:ROFL: I keep saying, we are what we read.

Namatu
04-27-2009, 02:05 AM
My planned romances between characters never work out. They prefer to develop independent from whatever I think. This leads me to believe I should just toss characters together and let them do whatever they want. They clearly don't listen to me.

Let them do whatever they want!