To Be Or Not To Be? Either Way, It's a Cliche

Status
Not open for further replies.

unicornjam

Registered
Reaction score
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=103376025

A cute article on clichés from NPR. Can you spot the clichés they use?

Also, tell me how you handle clichés because I know we all use them -- even unintentionally. When you find yourself writing one, do you immediately get rid of it or do you keep it as a "placeholder" until something more inspired comes to you? (Or do you say, "Screw it!" and let it be? I won't tell!)

Red_Dahlia

Registered
Reaction score
That's a really cute article. I'm bookmarking it. :)

For the most part, I rely on my grammar check to tell me when I'm using cliches. I don't turn that search on until I'm ready to start editing, but if I do happen to spot one on my own, I change it then.

spike

Mostly Ignored
Registered
Reaction score
Website
oddgoose.blogspot.com

Also, tell me how you handle clichés because I know we all use them -- even unintentionally. When you find yourself writing one, do you immediately get rid of it or do you keep it as a "placeholder" until something more inspired comes to you? (Or do you say, "Screw it!" and let it be? I won't tell!)

You must kill all of the clichés in your writing. They tend to multiply.

Last edited:

dgiharris

Disgruntled Scientist
Registered
Reaction score
My personal goal is to not use cliches, or if I must, then modify them so they have the appearance of being fresh and unique.

Mel...

Little Earthquake

I'm melting!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
smoochagator.com
When I notice I'm using a cliche, I try to change it right away to something more creative. It's difficult, though, because some cliches are so embedded in my mind and I use them (when speaking) on a regular basis.

Matera the Mad

Bartender, gimme a Linux Mint
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.firefromthesky.org
Awareness is the key to just about everything. A cliche is a habit of speech, and habits are things we do without being aware of them. Well-programmed wetware can beat software in spotting cliches -- or grammar/punctuation errors -- any time.

JimmyB27

Hoopy frood
Registered
Reaction score
In the uncharted backwaters of the unfashionable e
Website
destinydeceived.wordpress.com

I do the placeholder thing. In fact, my current WiP started out as almost 100% cliché. I had an elven ranger, a dour dwarven fighter, the whole bit. But then it evolved and gradually bits were dropped or changed - I still have the elven ranger, except that he's half elf and a musket soldier.

Also, I'm not sure I agree with the list of clichés in that article. Reads more like a list of lines lifted wholesale from old books/plays.

Status
Not open for further replies.