How to copy...

NightTimeScripts

Registered
Reaction score
If a United States Citizen & a Canadian Citizen work on a project (script), how does the copyright process work?

Maryn

Baaa!
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I'm no legal expert, but both countries acknowledge the copyright exists at the moment the creation is saved to a fixed medium, right?

What I would probably do is exactly the same thing I'd do if the collaboration existed in a single country--leave copyright out of it until I had a request for the work from an agent or production company based on my query.

Before I (or my partner) sent it out, I would begin the copyright registration process in the country where the agent or company does business.

I suppose the same might apply to contest entries in which you send in the play; register your copyright, if you feel you should, it the nation where the contest is.

Maryn, who did not register a copyright on her lone play, since she trusted the theatre

Edit to add: Someone has asked me what happened with my play. Nothing bad. It was performed in a black-box setting with Equity actors in front of a paying audience, one performance. The theatre which hosted the contest is one where I've had season tickets for eons, so I felt I was safe entrusting them. I saw things in performance that I hadn't seen on the page, of course, and did a rewrite which I seem to be keeping all to myself. Such a coward, huh?

Last edited: