• Read this: http://absolutewrite.com/forums/showthread.php?288931-Guidelines-for-Participation-in-Outwitting-Writer-s-Block

before you post.

Can we discuss methods on curing writers block?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nezumikiri623

Registered
Reaction score
I want to hear what YOU do when you can't think of what to write next in your story. Do you just give up an wait? do you think?

normally, i tihnk a very succesful method for me is taking a deep, action packed, or important scene that is about something i have had a vague idea about, whther for a new novel or for one of my current ones. Then I just write it the best I can. Normally this gets me excited, and I immediately am inspired to write more on my actual thing.

my frenenemy says that when one story messes with her, she works on another.

what do you do?

bettielee

I'm a sparkly fairy princess!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
bettielee.wordpress.com
Sorry. All I have is a wiseacre reply. We can discuss it... but I have yet to find a way around it, except to write. Well, maybe not so wiseacre. I just have to write. Unfortunately, it has to be a story or something, no matter how witty I get on AW, it doesn't matter. I have to turn my thinking cap OFF and my imagining cap has to switch on and start seeing into that other world.

For me, writer's block is more about fear. I'm afraid I'm gonna screw "it" up. When I wise up and remember "it" is first and foremost for ME not the nameless, faceless Agent or future publisher or seas of adoring fans (I always imagine seas of adoring fans! Don't you?...) I start writing again.

Speaking of which, it's Friday night, the A's are NOT coming back from this 7 - zip score, and I have a beautiful vista, three cowboys and a town that needs a'savin'. I better skeedaddle pardner... (whispers** I also like to be in character! ;)

cbenoi1

Banned
Reaction score
I write scenes that appear later on in the novel. That's the advantage of outlining the story ahead of time.

-cb

TheIT

Infuriatingly Theoretical
Registered
Reaction score
Paraphrasing Jack London: "You can't sit and wait for inspiration. You have to go after it with a club."

If I'm stuck on where to take the story next, I sit down with my notebook and brainstorm. I write down whatever questions come to mind in whatever order they occur, and also whatever answers I come up with. By writing down the questions, I've got something solid to work with in order to figure out what's wrong and what needs to happen next.

Clair Dickson

A dark core to every cloud
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.bofexler.blogspot.com
I don't believe in writer's block.

I believe that sometimes I run into plot problems that I'm initially unsure of how to work out. Usually the question is: what happens next? To solve this, I start brainstorming. I come up with as many ideas as I can on what happens next, where the story goes, and maybe where I'm ultimately trying to end up. I picked up the number 20 some where and usually push myself at least into the teens. It's usually there, as I try to answer the recurring questions of 'why'? (why does character a do this? why would character b say that? what does character c have to gain from this? where is character d in all this?) And also, the issue of how does it work into the overall plot. I keep at it. I write and, funniest damn thing, most of the time when I push myself to write when I don't know where I'm going, one of my characters will point the way, say something that makes the plot suddenly illuminate with a divine glow, and all is good.

I'm not going to waste my precious minutes of free time (between working four jobs and going to grad school) waiting for my stories-- I have to go after them and drag them into my office so I can write in those few minutes I have.

kikilynn

You can find me on occasion.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.goodreader.wordpress.com
I've been going through this for a week and a half now. It sucks. I've tried writing, but everything comes out crappy to me. I've taken to doing research for future scenes hoping it'll kick my mind into gear.

Goodwriterguy

Registered
Reaction score
The passion you have for your story should drive you to write it. That passion is embraced by what happens at the end, the high intense emotion that your ending will generate because it's so damned powerful it's knocked your socks off and will knock them off your readers.

The point it makes about life and the human condition is illuminating, it is rewarding, it is meaningful, it resonates. It is therefore, important.

Your passion produces the energy you need to plow ahead, to figure out what happens next to keep the story moving, the anticipation rising, and character development expanding.

Getting hungup on what happens next may mean the present situation isn't somehow sufficiently resolved so that what happens next becomes self-evident, or perhaps it's out of sequence, or peraps it isn't needed at all and may be subsumed to subtext.

I think a writer needs to realize what happens next when they're about half way through the contemporary scene, so that when they get to the end of it they can immediately launch into what comes next.

A thoroughgoing knowledge of your story and its characters is necessary to this, which can be developed by some combo of outlining, writing a treatment, thinking, running scenarios, and research. A writer who knows his or her tale will never become stuck, so if you find yourself stuck, you probably don't know your story or its characters thoroughly enough.

Go to your beginning and read everything up to where you are. Usually, by the time you get there you'll know what happens next and you'll just roll right on into it, wondering why you had to even think twice about it.

To guard against this kind of "writer's block" spend more time story crafting and developing before you begin to actually write the tale. Steep yourself in it; acquire the knowledge you need of it to answer every question before you start writing. This way, when you are writing, every question and answer will come in a timely manner and there will be no undue delay, no "writer's block."

And keep the passion you have for the story alive and well. Don't lose sight of why you decided to write this particular story in the first place.

stuckupmyownera

Mostly lurking
Registered
Reaction score
I've been going through this for a week and a half now. It sucks. I've tried writing, but everything comes out crappy to me. I've taken to doing research for future scenes hoping it'll kick my mind into gear.

Ah, but you can edit crap. You can't edit a blank page. That's why (IMO) it's best to press on and force it out. Like Clair said, keep pressing your characters - keep them talking or doing something - and eventually one of them will point the way. Then you just have to go back and edit the crap out again.

triceretops

Banned
Flounced
Reaction score
Website
guerrillawarfareforwriters.blogspot.com
I'm always, always doubting the idea/premis of the story. It is the only thing that pulls me away from inspiration and the actual work. There is not a day that goes by that I don't say to myself "Will this thing actually work--is it really that fresh, different and layered? Or am I fooling myself and will it be a total waste?"

I have to get by those evil visitations or it's a major work stopper. I'm in the middle of one right now. Fighting between two ideas.

Tri

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
I write scenes that appear later on in the novel. That's the advantage of outlining the story ahead of time.

Yep, this is why I write out of sequence: Sometimes a particular scene just isn't resonating with me yet. It's not ready to be written. So I write another scene. Eventually, the stubborn one will call to me just like the others do, I'll finish all of the scenes, sew the thing up, and be done with it.

I don't believe in writer's block.

Neither do I. I blogged about it at length yesterday (link on the banner in my signature). I think there are tough spots, there are bad days, but "writer's block" itself doesn't exist.

The only way to get around it is to write. Even if what you write is crap, WRITE. I'd rather face down a page full of written crap than argue with a blank piece of paper.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
She dooes write out of sequence I've seen it myself.

Eldritch

Registered
Reaction score
In the graveyard, talking to the statues.
If I'm stuck on where to take the story next, I sit down with my notebook and brainstorm. I write down whatever questions come to mind in whatever order they occur, and also whatever answers I come up with.

I pretty much do what TheIT does. I write or type out a question for myself and then answer it. I almost always end up following that answer with the word, "Or..." and then I start writing out another scenario. Usually, that second idea is the one that works.

NeuroFizz

The grad students did it
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
my frenenemy says that when one story messes with her, she works on another.
Yup. This is the way to do it. When a story gets stuck, just set it aside and work on another. That keeps the writing going. And when that one gets a little tough, go to another to keep it all fresh. That way, all of those great ideas jump from your brain onto paper and there isn't any down time. Because we know that all successful writers have stacks and stacks of unfinished projects all over their hard discs, and nothing in the "done" box.

Writer's block is just an excuse. One has to take a hard look in the mirror and see just what is being excused.

Most often writer's block happens when one realizes writing isn't all faerie dust and tulip-filled meadows. It's when the story requires some hard work, some hard thought, and cleverness, or some metaphoric elbow grease. Writers who only write on this mystic "inspiration" are most susceptible to this malady. The cure is to suck it up and do a little brain work--think through the problem and come back to the keyboard with a possible solution (even if that solution ultimately ends up on the editing room floor). And just write through it.

If the blockage is so complete there is no possible solution, I wonder why the story had enough legs to get one writing in the first place, unless the writer came to the keyboard totally unprepared in terms of what the story was going to be about and where it was ultimately going to go. Having a story arc in mind is called coming to the keyboard prepared to write (it doesn't have to be detailed preparation--it can just be the basic idea of a story direction, and particularly what the next scene will be and where it will go, where it will fit into the overall story arc). I suspect most people who get stuck are not doing that basic level of writing preparation. NOTE - there are people who can write wonderful stories without any preconceived idea of where the story is going, and it just develops as they write, but these people are, in my opinion, both exceptions and expectional in that regard. I do not recommend this approach to new writers (otherwise, we will see a thread on writers block every week or two here...oh...wait...)

Come to the keyboard perpared to write.

Last edited:

Maryn

At Sea
Staff member
Super Moderator
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
There's no such thing as writer's block. That was invented by people in California who couldn't write. - Terry Pratchett

I don't believe in writer's block. Many of the 'serious' writers I've known in person and online don't, either. I agree with the one who says it's an indulgence of amateurs--when you've got a contract with a deadline and you either turn in a manuscript or return your advance, which you've already spent, you may find writing difficult and your results unsatisfying, but you do it anyway, because that’s what professional writers do: write.

However, I do believe in the realization that your current work is of such poor quality that you should abandon it. (Don’t delete it--the idea may be worthwhile even if the execution isn’t.)

I believe in inadequate preparation. If you don't know what happens next in your story, maybe you should plan the whole thing out before you begin writing. That could save you a lot of hours devoted to crafting dead ends.

I believe in inadequate organization, too.

I believe in writing yourself into a corner so tight that you either need to start over or abandon it. (“Damn, this only works if it was all a dream!”)

I believe in lost enthusiasm for a particular work.

I believe in lack of focus, in not knowing what your story’s really about and why these characters should tell it.

I believe in increasing boredom with an entire genre that’s become too familiar.

I believe in well-crafted characters you don’t want to spend time with. (Nobody else will, either.)

I believe in stories that require a daunting amount of preliminary research before you can write. (“Sure, that’s it, a police procedural following a serial killer who’s targeting milliners in 1910 Belgium--and the main policeman is gay!”)

I believe in shyness and lack of confidence that makes seeking expert advice or background hideously difficult or impossible.

I believe in not knowing how to start, or where to start, or even if you should start.

I believe in finding the need to learn basic writing mechanics so boring or off-putting that you’d rather procrastinate than spend the time it takes to master the main tools in your writer's tool box.

I believe in concluding that your whole concept is stupid, immature, derivative, impractical, embarrassing, too personal, legally actionable, or any of a host of other fatal flaws.

I believe in realizing that you're not as good as other people, the ones who ought to know, like teachers and fellow writers, think you are.

I believe in realizing that you're not as good as you think you are--or ought to be.

I believe in that ‘what’s-the-use’ attitude after you learn that your earliest writing is probably going to be pretty bad, compared to what you'll write later--if you improve.

I believe in the inability of writers to write characters well beyond their own age and/or situations well beyond their experiences (regardless of research)--and I believe in the incredible frustration of being young and bursting with ideas that you shouldn’t tackle yet.

Now, any of those can stop you dead in your tracks and keep you stopped. The question then becomes, how can you get started again?

Give yourself permission to write crap. Lousy idea, poor grammar and spelling (imagine me telling someone that!), stilted dialogue, thought or past events in action lines. Write it anyway. Written things can be revised or rewritten to improve them. The blank pages of the 'blocked' remain blank.

Change your writing environment. Try something radically different. If you write on your computer in a quiet room, try a spiral notebook in a park or coffee house, or ruled paper on your grandmother’s dining room table. (Not recommended: your blood on walls.)

Perform writing exercises. Daily, or at the start of every writing session. Prime the writing pump.

Move physically. Play a sport, go for a walk or run, swing on a playground, whatever you like, but get your blood pumping. When it's racing through your body, the brain gets plenty of oxygen--and ideas.

Give yourself blocks of unstructured time when you’re not likely to be sleepy. Find a quiet place, think about your current writing project, and let your mind wander. Rein it back to the subject as needed. This can be combined with physical movement that's not too demanding--a long walk may be an idea wellspring. (This is a biggie for me.)

Play 'What If' with your characters' present circumstances. You'll get a lot of ridiculous, over-the-top ideas, but sometimes you'll get something you can use. What if the kid cutting your hero's sandwich suddenly plunged that knife into the woman at the cash register? What if he merely put caustic chemicals in the mayonnaise? What if the sandwich and kid are fine, but the antagonist choked? What if your protagonist gave her sandwich to that lady over there who looks poor? What if she thanked you for it by giving you something valuable (that she didn't think was worth more than the sandwich)? What if you sold it and couldn’t find her to give her any of the money? What if she found you and demanded all of it? What if...

Write daily, every day, no exceptions, for a set amount of time. If you can't write, you must remain in your writing environment for the set amount of time anyway. Your choices are write and don’t write. No games, no internet, no texting, no music. (This is the BIC method--butt in chair--which is so often lauded here at AW.)

Stimulate your mind with new experiences. If you're a movie fan, see a play or watch street performance. Hear live music rather than CDs, or listen to something in a genre you know nothing about. Eavesdrop on or observe people unlike most of the ones you know. People watch (and invent lives for passers-by). Attend a sporting event (any kind, at any level) where you don't know anyone and watch the crowd rather than the players.

On waking, jot down the surrealistic snippets of whatever dreams you remember. They don't mean anything, IMO, but the odds are good that they're packed with drama. Write a scene as you recall it.

Just do it. You don't want to be a self-indulgent amateur, right?

Maryn, who's copied and pasted this many times in many places

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
It's ridiculous to think you are filled with brilliant writing but your suffering 'writer's block' is stopping it from appearing on the paper.

Maybe one has tried too hard, maybe one needs a rest, maybe one isn't applying oneself, maybe one is simply procrastinating, maybe one is just not capable of writing anything readable, but to label it 'writer's block' is to not face up to whatever it is.

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
Paste a friendly message from Lonely One across the top of your screen, notebook, what have you:

DO NOT WALK AWAY. DO NOT SMELL THE ROSES FOR INSPIRATION. DO NOT LEAVE THE WRITING DESK. I'M SERIOUS. DO NOT TAKE A WALK OR GO TO THE MAILBOX TO SEE IF YOUR MOTHER EVER WROTE BACK ABOUT YOUR BROTHER IN LAW AND BY NO MEANS SHOULD YOU CALL HER. IT'S TOO EASY--SHE'LL BE EXPECTING THAT.

TYPE LETTERS. IN ALL CAPS. DO IT. EVEN IF THEY DON'T FORM WORDS. MAKE UP YOUR OWN LANGUAGE. PRESS YOUR BLEEDING FOREHEAD ON THE KEYBOARD AND SEE WHAT WONDERFUL PROSE YOU CAN CREATE. USE THE ONE MY FOREHEAD MADE:tghyo9.
I'VE ALREADY GOT A TIGER, A YO-YO AND 9 OF SOMETHING. SEE, SMELLING ROSES WOULDN'T HAVE GIVEN YOU A FREAKING TIGER/YO-YO COMBO. THAT'S AWESOME.

*abandons advice to write a tiger/yo-yo story.

Linda Adams

Soldier, Storyteller
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.linda-adams.com
If I get stuck, I backtrack because it usually means there's a problem somewhere near the stuck point.

A fairly recent example is that I kept getting stuck trying to work the subplots in my book. This has been an issue from day one with this book. Not a single subplot has worked, and each time I've tried to insert one, I've come to a screeching halt. The solution was to remove all the subplots and do some chapters with the bad guy instead.

I also have to make sure that I stay true to what I like to write. Early on, I tried to show a governor's incompetence by adding a crime (which also counted as a subplot). I spent a lot of time trying to figure out what it wasn't working before I ran into a book that had a chapter on writing only things that you could write and realized that I did not really want to write about a crime.

And sometimes it's just something that's hard to do. So I work a little further in, think about some more, and then go back and start working on it.

nezumikiri623

Registered
Reaction score
i think writers block is like global warming. you can't not believe in it. it is just a label for something bigger. Sure, you can think that the earth is just getting a bit warmer, not ruining the wrold. sure, you can think that when you can't think of what to write, it's just you needing to think harder, not just you. but i know what you mean. i mean, writers block being taken as when it is impossible for you to write anymore, i don't believe that. when i think of writers block, i think of it as when you are trying to write, but you are having trouble about what to write next.

i pretty much alwasy keep my journal out when trying to write, even if I am ignoring it. Half the time on the school bus, i hold it the whole time while staring out the window, thinking of many different hings. often, this actually helps.

Bufty

Where have the last ten years gone?
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
All you mean by 'writer's block' is you're taking time out to think about what you should write next -whether it be the next word, sentence, paragraph or story - and that's perfectly normal. It isn't a 'block' at all.

nezumikiri623;3530914....[B said:
Half the time on the school bus, i hold it the whole time while staring out the window, thinking of many different hings. often, this actually helps[/B].

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
There's no such thing as writer's block. That was invented by people in California who couldn't write. - Terry Pratchett

I don't believe in writer's block. Many of the 'serious' writers I've known in person and online don't, either. I agree with the one who says it's an indulgence of amateurs--when you've got a contract with a deadline and you either turn in a manuscript or return your advance, which you've already spent, you may find writing difficult and your results unsatisfying, but you do it anyway, because that’s what professional writers do: write.

However, I do believe in the realization that your current work is of such poor quality that you should abandon it. (Don’t delete it--the idea may be worthwhile even if the execution isn’t.)

I believe in inadequate preparation. If you don't know what happens next in your story, maybe you should plan the whole thing out before you begin writing. That could save you a lot of hours devoted to crafting dead ends.

I believe in inadequate organization, too.

I believe in writing yourself into a corner so tight that you either need to start over or abandon it. (“Damn, this only works if it was all a dream!”)

I believe in lost enthusiasm for a particular work.

I believe in lack of focus, in not knowing what your story’s really about and why these characters should tell it.

I believe in increasing boredom with an entire genre that’s become too familiar.

I believe in well-crafted characters you don’t want to spend time with. (Nobody else will, either.)

I believe in stories that require a daunting amount of preliminary research before you can write. (“Sure, that’s it, a police procedural following a serial killer who’s targeting milliners in 1910 Belgium--and the main policeman is gay!”)

I believe in shyness and lack of confidence that makes seeking expert advice or background hideously difficult or impossible.

I believe in not knowing how to start, or where to start, or even if you should start.

I believe in finding the need to learn basic writing mechanics so boring or off-putting that you’d rather procrastinate than spend the time it takes to master the main tools in your writer's tool box.

I believe in concluding that your whole concept is stupid, immature, derivative, impractical, embarrassing, too personal, legally actionable, or any of a host of other fatal flaws.

I believe in realizing that you're not as good as other people, the ones who ought to know, like teachers and fellow writers, think you are.

I believe in realizing that you're not as good as you think you are--or ought to be.

I believe in that ‘what’s-the-use’ attitude after you learn that your earliest writing is probably going to be pretty bad, compared to what you'll write later--if you improve.

I believe in the inability of writers to write characters well beyond their own age and/or situations well beyond their experiences (regardless of research)--and I believe in the incredible frustration of being young and bursting with ideas that you shouldn’t tackle yet.

Now, any of those can stop you dead in your tracks and keep you stopped. The question then becomes, how can you get started again?

Give yourself permission to write crap. Lousy idea, poor grammar and spelling (imagine me telling someone that!), stilted dialogue, thought or past events in action lines. Write it anyway. Written things can be revised or rewritten to improve them. The blank pages of the 'blocked' remain blank.

Change your writing environment. Try something radically different. If you write on your computer in a quiet room, try a spiral notebook in a park or coffee house, or ruled paper on your grandmother’s dining room table. (Not recommended: your blood on walls.)

Perform writing exercises. Daily, or at the start of every writing session. Prime the writing pump.

Move physically. Play a sport, go for a walk or run, swing on a playground, whatever you like, but get your blood pumping. When it's racing through your body, the brain gets plenty of oxygen--and ideas.

Give yourself blocks of unstructured time when you’re not likely to be sleepy. Find a quiet place, think about your current writing project, and let your mind wander. Rein it back to the subject as needed. This can be combined with physical movement that's not too demanding--a long walk may be an idea wellspring. (This is a biggie for me.)

Play 'What If' with your characters' present circumstances. You'll get a lot of ridiculous, over-the-top ideas, but sometimes you'll get something you can use. What if the kid cutting your hero's sandwich suddenly plunged that knife into the woman at the cash register? What if he merely put caustic chemicals in the mayonnaise? What if the sandwich and kid are fine, but the antagonist choked? What if your protagonist gave her sandwich to that lady over there who looks poor? What if she thanked you for it by giving you something valuable (that she didn't think was worth more than the sandwich)? What if you sold it and couldn’t find her to give her any of the money? What if she found you and demanded all of it? What if...

Write daily, every day, no exceptions, for a set amount of time. If you can't write, you must remain in your writing environment for the set amount of time anyway. Your choices are write and don’t write. No games, no internet, no texting, no music. (This is the BIC method--butt in chair--which is so often lauded here at AW.)

Stimulate your mind with new experiences. If you're a movie fan, see a play or watch street performance. Hear live music rather than CDs, or listen to something in a genre you know nothing about. Eavesdrop on or observe people unlike most of the ones you know. People watch (and invent lives for passers-by). Attend a sporting event (any kind, at any level) where you don't know anyone and watch the crowd rather than the players.

On waking, jot down the surrealistic snippets of whatever dreams you remember. They don't mean anything, IMO, but the odds are good that they're packed with drama. Write a scene as you recall it.

Just do it. You don't want to be a self-indulgent amateur, right?

Maryn, who's copied and pasted this many times in many places

Ditto.

Status
Not open for further replies.