PDA

View Full Version : Stiltjack - eBook fiction submissions invited

NedC
04-25-2009, 12:38 AM
http://www.stiltjack.co.uk (http://www.stiltjack.co.uk/)

Original fiction for eBook publication - novels, short stories. No horror, sci-fi or fantasy, please, we're not big fans.

No payment, but you get a "donate" button linked to your Paypal account...

NedC
05-16-2009, 02:59 AM
Our first novel, published at the beginning of April, has now been downloaded 1,000 times.

A collection of short stories published at the same time has been downloaded 250 times.

Roughly 85 per cent of downloads have been in .pdf format. The rest have been .prc (Mobipocket) files viewable on mobile devices.

FOTSGreg
05-16-2009, 10:57 PM
NedC, Not to be rude, but I'd like to ask you a straightforward kind of question.

After I've worked my literal butt off writing a novel, why in the world should I send it to you to publish for free, for no money whatsoever, for no publishing credit that I can see, and for no future purpose for acquiring an agent or selling a future piece to an editor or publisher?

Seriously, I'd like to hear your answer and I am not trying to be rude or offensive, but there just doesn't seem to be much of a point to publishing with you when I can just sling my work off my website.

veinglory
05-16-2009, 11:00 PM
Indeed.

anne_marie
05-16-2009, 11:03 PM
One question I have is, of all the downloads, what percentage of them have lead to "donations"?

Our first novel, published at the beginning of April, has now been downloaded 1,000 times.

A collection of short stories published at the same time has been downloaded 250 times.

Roughly 85 per cent of downloads have been in .pdf format. The rest have been .prc (Mobipocket) files viewable on mobile devices.

NedC
05-16-2009, 11:53 PM
FOTSGreg/Veinglory: No reason at all. Good luck with the agents.

anne marie: Zero.

NedC

FOTSGreg
05-17-2009, 12:09 AM
NedC, That's it? That's all? Dude, you're on a "fool's errand". Pardon me for saying so, but you're also potentially misleading newbie authors into believing that publishing with you means something. Too darned many newbies already believe that publishing with a vanity publisher is going to lead to fame and fortune.

In fact, it could be said that you are harming new authors by publishing work that now has no chance of being published anywhere else. Most publishers, editors, and agents consider a work distributed through a website to be officially published worldwide. Therefore, publishing the work again anywhere else means it has to be a reprint. Do you offer a contract? If so, what are the terms of that contract? How long do you hold the copyright to a work on your website? What happens if an author asks you to take a work down?

Your terse answer is an indication that you have little or no experience in the publishing business, do not have a clue regarding what agents really do, and have little regard for the process of actually submitting, editing, and publishing a novel. Do you have any said experience - or are you just trying to create a "new publishing venue" wherein you take someone else's hard work and pay them nothing for it?

Have you ever written a novel and tried submitting it to the process?

C'mon, man, what you're doing harms writers and the whole business of writing in the long run IMO.

NedC
05-17-2009, 01:27 AM
Ouch!

Visit the website. Read the FAQ, which specifically address the issue of first publication rights. Read the sample contract.

Nice looking dog, by the way. I have two GSD myself - getting a bit arthritic now.

NedC

FOTSGreg
05-19-2009, 12:05 AM
NedC, That boy's 14 and definitely having hip problems (actually, he's half Husky, half Australian Cattle Dog according to the parent's owners - the vet took his first look at him and said "There's wolf in there somewhere").

I do apologize for any offense I might have given or give, however, your contract does not mention any time period that I could see. Are the rights essentially "in perpetuity" then? Did I miss the time period somewhere in the FAQ (which was also read)?

TemlynWriting
05-19-2009, 12:19 AM
I just want to pop in and mention that I've been keeping an eye on this thread. It's all right so far, with lots of excellent questions.

That said, I just want to remind everyone to stay on this respectful path (both the original poster and the other responders), and please resist the urge to snark. It gets very ugly, very quickly.

Thanks!

veinglory
05-19-2009, 12:49 AM
Ned, I would note that there are options other than agents, such as direct submissions and the small press.

brainstorm77
05-20-2009, 07:48 PM
And many have found success here on AW with agents.

FOTSGreg
05-22-2009, 11:41 PM
TemLyn, Thank you for the warning. I am trying to be polite.

NedC, I've been in essentially your same position before as well so I know something of the situation - in my case it was an online ezine which I shut down after only a single issue; I used an SFWA-approved contract, actually paid my submitters, and still didn't get enough submissions to make a go of it, but that's beside the point. I'm not just talking through my hat here. I think these are legitimate questions that need to be asked and I apologize if I have offended anyone in any way.

TemlynWriting
05-22-2009, 11:54 PM
FOTSGreg: You're doing just fine. I appreciate your input here, and your questions and concerns are completely valid.

I appreciate the honesty that's coming across from everyone in this thread. Thank you.

NedC
08-03-2009, 08:05 PM
FOTSGreg: Sorry - haven't looked at this thread for a while.

No offense - all the concerns are perfectly valid. We've added a time period to the terms as you suggest.

For my part I'm sorry if I've upset anyone. It must be annoying to have a smart-arse newbie suggesting what everyone's thought of a million times before.

This writing business is odd, isn't it? It sounds as if there are thousands of people out there scribbling away, but when you ask for material... nothing. We're currently having a similar experience with a paying print project. I have actually approached a couple of people directly. Nope. Perhaps email is a mistake - their spam filters my be kicking in. I shall send a handwritten letter.

The dog has disappeared. Hope he is well?