Tell me your overnite success story

Tasmin21

They will come from below...
Registered
Reaction score
Well, it may not have been overnight, but I got a 3-book deal six weeks after my agent started subbing. In the publishing world, six weeks is like a heartbeat!

Swordswoman

Resilient and kind
Kind Benefactor
Absolute Sage
Registered
Reaction score
Mine wasn't overnight either.

The agent was - almost. She asked for the full manuscript, we hand-delivered it on the Tuesday, and on Thursday morning at 09.01 am the phone rang...

The publisher business took four weeks to get a two-book deal - but the first one into the auction was on the phone within a week.

Unfortunately, it still isn't 'success' unless the book now goes and sells to the public...:eek:

thethinker42

Abnormal Romance Author
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gallagherwitt.com
Wrote the book in 5 days, revised over the course of 2 weeks, submitted, got a rejection a week later, submitted to another editor, got a full request within a day or two, and got a contract offer 24 hours later.

Adam

Not dead.
Registered
Reaction score
Wrote the book in 5 days, revised over the course of 2 weeks, submitted, got a rejection a week later, submitted to another editor, got a full request within a day or two, and got a contract offer 24 hours later.

:Jaw:

astonwest

2 WIP? A glutton for punishment
Registered
Reaction score
Website
astonwest.com
Jeez! Give me some of what you were drinking for those 5 days! :)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
My first wife and I got married within two weeks of meeting, does that count?

If you want a real success story talk to her divorce lawyer.

ChaosTitan

Around
Registered
Reaction score
Website
kellymeding.com
My agent got the full on Friday and offered on Tuesday.

Not quite a month after we went on sub, we had our first offer. A few days later, a second offer. A week after that, an auction and a deal (oddly, on a Tuesday again). :)

YAwriter72

someone let me off this crazy ride
Registered
Reaction score
We all live under the same sky, but we don't all h
Website
www.leebross.com
My agent got the full on Friday and offered on Tuesday.

Not quite a month after we went on sub, we had our first offer. A few days later, a second offer. A week after that, an auction and a deal (oddly, on a Tuesday again). :)

AWESOME! My agent got the Full on a Thursday and offered on Monday. I am hoping the rest goes as fast!!!

justme

Well butter my biscuit!
Registered
Reaction score
My agent requested my partial the same day I queried. Then, two weeks later asked for the full. Two more weeks and she offered representation. I've been on sub for two weeks now.

Susan B

Accordion Dreams
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.blairkilpatrick.com
Well, the only part of my story that was overnight could have been a disaster.

I sent out my first handful of queries a couple days before Thanksgiving in 2005. Really just testing the waters (and getting pressured by my writing group!).

The next morning, I had a response from an agent who sounded very excited, wanted to see my first 100 pages.

However, things quickly began to feel sticky once I'd sent the pages and we had a phone conversation. Agent was very critical, made a sort-of offer if I agreed to major re-writing under the agent's tutelage.

Only then did I start doing more research, found AW, realized agent had not much of a track record and an "iffy" reputation.

Politely, with mutual good wishes, we ended our discussion. I kept on querying.

Nine months later, I got an offer from a solid NY agent. A year later, we had a publisher. The book came out in January 2009.

My overnight success story :)

(This was my first book, however. And I'm in my 50's. So that part of the story should offer encouragement.)

Last edited:

Calla Lily

On hiatus
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.aliceloweecey.net
I sent a "why not" query to an agent (not for the book I was currently concentrating on). He called the next day to request the full. He called 2 days later to talk about the book. He called 2 days after that to offer representation. :D