Recycling

Sweetleaf

Momentary lapse of reason
Registered
Reaction score
At last, OFFICIALLY in the middle of nowhere. But
I just watched 'It's Not Easy Being Green' (Don't know how old it was, but it's a new season here) and they were saying that many councils in the UK will only recycle plastic bottles of type 1 or 2 because of the diffculty of sorting the types.

WTF??

Now being a midget-sized group of islands at the bottom of the world, I've always assumed that we're way behind everyone else in the technology stakes, but here's how our recycling system works:

Every house is given a large wheelie bin by the council. Into this bin we put all our plastic (types 1 through 7), glass, metal cans etc. Paper and cardboard is tied together and placed next to bin.
Once a fortnight everyone puts out said bin out with their other rubbish and it is all taken to the recycling centre where the big clever machine sorts it all appropriately.

This is New Zealand, we can't possibly be the only ones to have this. How can the UK not have one?

Any thoughts? What's your recycling system? I'm really interested in this now.

MaryMumsy

the original blond bombshell
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Here in Phoenix (AZ) single family homes have curbside recycle collection once a week. Paper, cardboard, cans, glass, and plastic all go in one barrel. Some things (like light bulbs and plastic bags) are not allowed. I know apartment complexes don't have collection, and I'm not sure about commercial buildings. I think a lot of office buildings have paper recycling, but they pay someone to come and collect it.

MM