PDA

View Full Version : Here's a new question

Grebbsy
04-24-2009, 04:53 AM
At least I can't find that anyone has asked it before here...

While researching agents I discovered that I share my own real life names (first and last) with (ta da!) a moderately well known literary agent. It isn't a particularly common name, either.

Is this likely to cause any confusion? Should I sign off my query letters with "Yours sincerely, XYZ (no relation to XYZ the agent)"? Or should I just quit worrying and get on with firing out queries?

I suspect the last, myself, but a little reassurance wouldn't be amiss. Thanks!

Palmfrond
04-24-2009, 07:28 AM
I don't think you need to apologize for your name. Of course, you will explain if asked, but you could wait to be asked.

scope
04-24-2009, 07:46 AM
Good question. I guess it could work any one of several way, or maybe all.
Unlikely as it may be, the agent might think you are screwing around and get pissed off (makes no sense to me, but I guess it's possible).
The agent may not even notice (I think that's highly unlikely).
The agent may notice and just take it in stride.
The agent may notice and be curious enough to question you about same in an email.

I would certainly use my true name, but I'd be tempted to place beneath it (no relation).

One thing's for sure. If your query is outstanding you will definitely hear from the agent!

I hope others respond. It's an interesting question.

Danthia
04-24-2009, 09:16 PM
I can see doing "no relation" as it's kinda funny and you probably get asked that a lot by those in the writing biz. An agent might get a chuckle out of it.