NHL Playoffs

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
The first round is heating up for some matches, while others are already finished.

The Bruins spanked the Habs in four games, as did the Canucks in their contest against St. Louis. The Wings are also poised to sweep the Blue Jackets, which isn't at all surprising. And the Penguins will continue to make swift work of the Flyers.

The rest of the series are still up for grabs, but the one that draws my attention the most now is New York and Washington. I thought for sure the Caps would cream the Rangers, but they find themselves just one game away from elimination with three more to play. And I think New York will pull off the upset and make it to the second round. They're not my favorite team or anything, but I have a tendency to pull for the underdog.

Any other prognosticators out there who'd like to weigh in on the current state of the hockey playoffs?

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
The Blue Jackets suck. That is all.

Well, okay not entirely all. It's annoying in the extreme to watch the Jackets lose in the power plays every single time to the Red Wings--but no unexpected. After all, it's their first playoff experience and they not only have the worst power play percentage in the NHL but the worst power play defense. Still, as soon as they lose the series, my first-ever interest in the Stanley Cup will evaporate.

Bubastes

bananaed
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.gracewen.com
My hockey-nut friend is hoping that San Jose gets too cocky and loses the series. Not sure if that's going to happen, though. We'll see what happens at tonight's game.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
The Blue Jackets suck. That is all.

...they not only have the worst power play percentage in the NHL but the worst power play defense...
Were they the worst in the league before the playoffs? I haven't followed them this season, but if that's the case, it's amazing they made the post season without at least one solid unit on power plays.

mscelina

Teh doommobile, drivin' rite by you
Requiescat In Pace
Registered
Reaction score
Going shopping with Soccer Mom and Bubastes for fu
That's what I understand. That's why it was so amazing that they made it to the playoffs because so many elements had to fall into place for it to happen.

*tackle hugs Dino*

whoops. my bad. I slipped.

:D

DeborahM

I need espresso & chocolate!
Registered
Reaction score
We're watching it here and there. Dallas was crippled with injuries and some bad playing this year. Oh, well, maybe next year!?

I think the Red Wings will come through again. They are tough.

Hi SK! How ya doin bud?

DeborahM

Registered
Reaction score
Deb, where the heck have you been? Long time no see, my friend.

Had I known a hockey thread would bring you out of the woodwork, I would've started one way before now. :)

I've been lurking. Doing great! How about you and family? Busy, you know with life stuff.

Yeah, Dennis got me into hocky big time. He's even taken me to some Stars games!

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
...How about you and family?
In keeping with the theme of this thread, I've been crossed-checked a few times, scored some goals, was lured into a fist fight, skated more shifts than is healthy for a man my age, was slashed and nicked and bruised, tried to inspire my teammates through countless ordeals, yet above all came out the other side in one piece, with my head still on straight, so far...

DeborahM

Registered
Reaction score
In keeping with the theme of this thread, I've been crossed-checked a few times, scored some goals, was lured into a fist fight, skated more shifts than is healthy for a man my age, was slashed and nicked and bruised, tried to inspire my teammates through countless ordeals, yet above all came out the other side in one piece, with my head still on straight, so far...

Well, watch out for the high stick! Take care U!

Chumplet

This hat is getting too hot
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.chumpletwrites.blogspot.com
I split a friend's lip with a slap shot once. He couldn't play the French horn for three weeks afterward.

I'm sad my Habs are out, but I still root for the other two Canadian teams.

I'm not sure whether to root for NY or the Caps. I think I lean toward NY in spite of Avery, even though I admire Ovechkin's love for the game.

Philly and Penguins? Always hated Philly since the Broad Street Bully days.

Sharks and Ducks? Ducks, I guess. I can't get that damn movie out of my head. Besides, my most favourite player Steve Thomas played for the Ducks.

Carolina and Jersey? Don't care. If I had to pick, I'd pick Carolina because the Jersey Trap drives me crazy.

Silver King

Megalops Erectus
Registered
Reaction score
A little recap for this thread:

The Rangers didn't pull through against the Capitals as I had hoped and blew a two game series lead to lose in seven. So now I have a new underdog to root for, the Carolina Hurricanes, who beat the Devils and are now going up against Boston.

Speaking of underdogs, in the West, the eighth seeded team, the Anaheim Ducks, pounded the first seeded San Jose Sharks. That makes those Ducks my second favorite least likely team to win the Cup. :)

The second round of the playoffs starts tonight!

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The only Canadian team left in the mix are the Canucks, so I have to root for them in the west against Chicago. I think Sundin was a dink for stringing the Leafs along, but they still have ex-Leaf Kyle Wellwood, a great little worker with a cute baby face.

Between the Ducks and Detroit... well, the only wings that should flap to the next round are duck wings.

I like both the Penguins and Caps, so I'll have to choose between their stars. Ovechkin might rub a few people the wrong way with his showboating, but I admire his sheer joy and enthusiasm. Sid the Kid has a long career ahead of him. He has a lot of skill, but something's missing. Ah, it's like trying to compare The Rocket and Jean Beliveau. I choose Ovie.

I still hate Boston for knocking out my Habs, so I'll have to root for the 'Canes. Besides, they have the same name as my local Newmarket Hurricanes.

Break out the beer and chips. It's time for round twoooooo!

Chumplet

Registered
Reaction score
Website
The Wings had their run. It's someone else's turn.

Did anyone see Wellwood take the stick in the mouth? While he sat on the bench with a bleeding lip, he reached into his mouth and pulled out a tooth, handing it to the trainer. Then he got back on the ice.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
Great first game, though I didn't get to see most of it. Anyone get the feeling this is going to be a very physical series?
I recorded it on the DVR, then watched it all after the kids went to bed. I watched it at 1.5 times speed. Awesome. Seriously.

But what I learned--or rather had confirmed--in this game is that the Ducks top line is the best line in the game, the Ducks goalie is better than Osgood (but not by much) and Neidermayer (Scott) can pretty much go anywhere on the ice that he chooses, and the Wings can't stop him.

Still, the Wings are supreme at forechecking. And I agree: "very physical" will be the way this series is described.

KTC

Stand in the Place Where You Live
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
ktcraig.com
I don't wanna talk about it. )-;

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I recorded it on the DVR, then watched it all after the kids went to bed. I watched it at 1.5 times speed. Awesome. Seriously.

But what I learned--or rather had confirmed--in this game is that the Ducks top line is the best line in the game, the Ducks goalie is better than Osgood (but not by much) and Neidermayer (Scott) can pretty much go anywhere on the ice that he chooses, and the Wings can't stop him.

Still, the Wings are supreme at forechecking. And I agree: "very physical" will be the way this series is described.

I saw "the hit" on Utube, but in no way can I tell if it was clean or dirty. Any thoughts?

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com
I saw "the hit" on Utube, but in no way can I tell if it was clean or dirty. Any thoughts?
I think the Ducks guy thought the Wings guy would hold the puck and turn in to him. The Ducks guy--imo--thought he had him lined up for a monster hit, but a clean hit. Still, the penalty was the right call, imo.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
I think the Ducks guy thought the Wings guy would hold the puck and turn in to him. The Ducks guy--imo--thought he had him lined up for a monster hit, but a clean hit. Still, the penalty was the right call, imo.

No suspension, so apparently the league agrees with you. I simply could not tell from the video. No question that it was a monster hit. I think a whole lot of hockey is going to break out in this series. I'm looking forward to it.

Haggis

Evil, undead Chihuahua
Registered
Reaction score
Watching game 2, Ducks vs. Wings. They're in the second overtime as I type this. What a freaking awesome game.

My Dawg, I love playoff hockey.

CaoPaux

Mostly Harmless
Staff member
Super Moderator
Registered
Reaction score
Hee. I just tuned in to watch poker, but this is much better. Go DUCKS!!!