• This forum is specifically for the discussion of factual science and technology. When the topic moves to speculation, then it needs to also move to the parent forum, Science Fiction and Fantasy (SF/F).

If the topic of a discussion becomes political, even remotely so, then it immediately does no longer belong here. Failure to comply with these simple and reasonable guidelines will result in one of the following.
    1. the thread will be moved to the appropriate forum
    2. the thread will be closed to further posts.
    3. the thread will remain, but the posts that deviate from the topic will be relocated or deleted.
    Thank you for understanding.​

life on mars

geardrops

Good thing I like my day job
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.geardrops.net
It's a Godawful Small Afair, to the Girl with the Mousy Hair...

Well, we've found evidence of 'life on mars' haven't we? Fossilized bacteria? Am I misremembering?

Hard-science, though, I doubt it. If there were life on mars to the extent that you could get a story out of it, we'd have probably found SOMETHING by now, I'd suspect.

Though there's space folk here much wiser than I.

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
You mean, INTELLIGENT life? Martians having stories etc?

Assuming all the planets formed around the same time, the Earth is only 4.5 billion years old, and that would be putting your Martian life pretty far back to the origins of the planet itself. It might not have had time to evolve into anything "story" worthy ...

Is there a reason it has to be FOUR billion years ago?

Setting it at TWO billion years ago might give you more wiggle room (time enough for Mars life to have begun and evolved swiftly)

I dunno about Mars geology, in the context of Life. Mars seems to have undergone more drastic events than on Earth (?) and a harsher environment ... that might either slow evolution down (knocking life back into the stupidity of microbes again and again) or speed evolution up (the idea being, What Doesn't Kill Us, Makes Us Evolve Faster)

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
No plausible time line? If it's an alternative natural history? hah

4 billion years ago because wiki told me that mars may have had an atmosphere (and liquid water?) then.

Thanks peeps.

AMC

Ms.rachel

Registered
Reaction score
there is evidence that water flowed on mars, there are dry river beds all over mars , a dig found water just below the surface. So at one point Mars was flowing with water. Now I don't know about 4 billion years ago but now there is not enough oxygen to support human life and it is mad cold there. But it is a story! Perhaps your "life" was adapted to the conditions.

Anyway they are still looking for life on mars which they suspect if there is any would be trapped a way in water somewheres.

Last edited:

Izunya

Registered
Reaction score
Well, we've found evidence of 'life on mars' haven't we? Fossilized bacteria? Am I misremembering?

They found a meteorite that had pretty definitely been knocked off Mars, and inside it they found . . . thingies. Said thingies looked somewhat like fossilized bacteria, but they were way too small. The options, as I understand them, are:

(1) they are a genuine Martian life-form—although maybe not a whole lot like Earth bacteria, because microbiologists have no idea how you could cram a whole bacterium, or even bacterium-like life-form, into that small a space, or . . .

(2) they're inorganic anomalies that happen to look a whole lot like fossilized bacteria through sheer coincidence.

As I understand it, the scientific community is leaning toward explanation two. Gotta admit it's simpler.

There is, however, a lot of evidence for water on Mars—flowing water—a lot more than there is now. So I'd say past life is a pretty good possibility. (Actually, I think current life is still a possibility, in isolated pockets. Nothing multicellular, though.)

Izunya

AMCrenshaw

Registered
Reaction score
Website
dfnovellas.wordpress.com
Thanks, Izunya. I think all I need is just the seed of realism for the story I have in mind to work. Besides that, it might be interesting to impose complexity on bacteria forms.

I think I'm going to try it.

AMC

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
it might be interesting to impose complexity on bacteria forms.

Sounds like the ravings of either a Tyrant, or a Diety plotting its dark Creationist enterprise, sir! ;)

In either case, sleep with one eye open, and fear the revolutionary uprisings of bacterial mobs bearing tiny pitchforks or microbial guillotines!

Last edited:

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Even if intelligent life forms had developed on Mars, they would likely not have left any (non-fossilized) signs that would last a few hundred thousand years, much less the billions that have passed since then. Plate tectonics would have eliminated some of the fossilized stuff, too. We don't exactly have dig operations going on in the Martian crust, so it's hard to say.

(Personally, I doubt any such life existed, but you can make up pretty much whatever you want.)

Last edited:

small axe

memento mori
Registered
Reaction score
In either case, sleep with one eye open, and fear the revolutionary uprisings of bacterial mobs bearing tiny pitchforks or microbial guillotines!

Do I have to?
AMC

Not if the viral swine flu nails us first, no. :)

We are remarkably free/
to do as we will/
Since we've sighted the plague/
a-comin' over the hill!

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Even if intelligent life forms had developed on Mars, they would likely not have left any (non-fossilized) signs that would last a few hundred thousand years, much less the billions that have passed since then. Plate tectonics would have eliminated some of the fossilized stuff, too.

Mars doesn't have plate tectonics.

caw

The Lonely One

Why is a raven like a writing desk?
Registered
Reaction score
You don't have to be good at telling the truth you just have to be good at lying to write fiction. That includes spinning the truth, but you don't need irrefutable proof to write a story about something. Haven't you read the Martian Chronicles? Fun, but certainly not likely.

Doing research for a story isn't so you can tell the truth properly, it's so you can lie effectively.

SPMiller

Prodigiously Hanged
Registered
Reaction score
Website
seanpatrickmiller.com
Mars doesn't have plate tectonics.

caw
Limited evidence has suggested it might have had tectonics for a period of time, though you're correct that it has since stopped. The presence of any surface features at all rather makes a strong case for it.

Last edited:

blacbird

Registered
Reaction score
Limited evidence has suggested it might have had tectonics for a period of time, though you're correct that it has since stopped. The presence of any surface features at all rather makes a strong case for it.

Not really. In fact, the immensity of the Martian volcanoes suggests exactly the opposite, that the crust of Mars is fixed in place and has been so for a long time, allowing those plumes of lava to continue to spew forth from "hot spots" and build Oympus Mons and other volcanoes to dimensions unseen on Earth. If Mars had active mobile crustal plates with attendant spreading centers and subduction zones, they only existed in its earliest history, and none of its surface features reveals any clear evidence for such.

Mars also has no core-driven magnetic field, indicating that it currently lacks fluid interial material. Remnant magnetic "echoes" have been detected in some Martian surface rocks, indicating that it once did have a planetary magnetid field, but that, too, has long disappeared.

Earth has tectonic plates in large part because the lithosphere (crust) is exceedingly thin, likely because a large proportion of the lighter silicate material near the Earth's surface was stripped away in the primordial collision with another planetary body that formed our moon. Mars never experienced such an event, that we're aware of, and its crustal material is proportionally much thicker. Being considerably larger than Mars, Earth also has remained hot enough to continue to have a major molten interior.

caw