MRSA - My Uncle Died

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I just got a call from my brother that my uncle is in the hospital with MRSA. My brother said my uncle is 'in a bad way'. They live several states away. Is this stuff usually fatal?

Going out of my mind here.
Ambrosia

quickWit

Totally Ninja!
Registered
Reaction score
I'm not an authority by any means, but I think it all depends on how long it's present before being treated.

I hope your uncle is OK, Ambrosia. You and your family are in my thoughts. :)

Peace

semilargeintestine

BassGirl 5000
Registered
Reaction score
You should really try to get information from the doctor rather than here. That said, MRSA stands for methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus; it is a form of "staph" that is resistant to the antibiotics usually used to treat infections. It can be treated however. Certain meds are still useful, and superficial abscesses can be drained.

It can be fatal, but a majority of cases are not so serious. I would definitely get in touch with them to find out exactly what the doctors said. Family members tend to make things sound a lot worse than they are.

stephenf

Registered
Reaction score
MRSA,is a bacteria that is resistant to antibiotics,so is difficult to treat.all infections are potently serious, but you can't generalise how serious . Most people that become victim to MRSA are in hospital and are there for a different health problem. Which may or may not have a consequence. You will need to talk to your uncle's Doctor. Hope he gets better soon.

Robin

What have I gotten myself into?
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.robinbridges.com
Usually it's treatable with Vancomycin (a super strong antibiotic). But they need to determine where the infection came from. MRSA used to be something patients only caught in nursing homes. Now it's more common out in the community. We see more kids with infected abcesses coming in now to be treated with Vanc. Improperly treated, it can spread from family member to family member. Make sure his house is cleaned thoroughly before your uncle returns home. Bleach out tubs, throw away old razors, etc.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Usually it's treatable with Vancomycin (a super strong antibiotic). But they need to determine where the infection came from. MRSA used to be something patients only caught in nursing homes. Now it's more common out in the community. We see more kids with infected abcesses coming in now to be treated with Vanc. Improperly treated, it can spread from family member to family member. Make sure his house is cleaned thoroughly before your uncle returns home. Bleach out tubs, throw away old razors, etc.
I am not there. I am in NY and he is in Missouri. I can only sit and pray for him. Having lost a number of people from my life in the last few years, I am a little on edge. My family isn't close, but he has always been my favorite uncle and a good guy. He was battling cancer and now this. I hope he makes it.

jodiodi

Reflections of Reality
Registered
Reaction score
So sorry for your loss, Ambrosia. MRSA is easily spread through populations living in close contact. It usually isn't fatal unless there are other factors such as immunocompromised patients with poor resistance to begin with due to some sort of primary issue. Millions of people live with it all their lives with no problems. Most don't even know they carry it. Only when there's a problem does it come to light.

Ambrosia

Grand Duchess
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, guys. He was in the VA hospital. He caught it in there. My brother had called a couple weeks ago to say he was worse than he had been. I should have gone back then to see him. But I didn't have the money. Still don't. I am going to miss his funeral too. This so rots.

Susie

Thanks, special friend for my avi!
Registered
Reaction score
Gee, so sorry, ((((((HUGS))))) and prayers to you and yours, Ambrosia.

Last edited:

backslashbaby

~~~~*~~~~
Registered
Reaction score
I'm so sorry! I'm familiar with cancer/immune system related deaths - my mom died from chemo :( But she had been very ill, and we knew that.

Good Journey to your uncle. I'm so sorry you can't go to the funeral. I believe that you can be there in spirit, and he will consider it the same.

Big big hugs! Some years there are too too many deaths, and nothing is rougher, I know. Take care.

Snowstorm

Baby plot bunneh sniffs out a clue
Registered
Reaction score
My condolences on your loss of your favorite uncle, Ambrosia. Big hugs going your way.

Little Earthquake

I'm melting!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
smoochagator.com
I've known a couple of people who had MRSA, and it's a scary thing! Not having the money to see your family when times are hard sucks so hard. Hopefully it helps to know we all care about you and hurt for you. *hugs*