PDA

View Full Version : spring peepers/ other frogs

jeseymour
04-23-2009, 07:01 PM
I'm writing a story that takes place in a swampy area of upstate (Dutchess county) New York in August. I'm pretty sure, unless I'm mistaken, that you can hear the peepers at that time of year, even though they are called spring peepers because that's when they're loudest. By August, all the baby peepers are adults. You can't hear them everywhere, just in and around ponds or swamps, at dusk, at that time of year. (August.) Am I right? Are these still spring peepers? Are they a different kind of frog? I did do some brief research, but can't really find anything that talks about what exactly is making all that noise in the late summer. Anybody know their frogs? :)

Alternatively, I guess I can use crickets or cicadas. I just thought the peeper thing was pure genius, because this is something heard over a phone line, and gives a clue as to where someone might be hiding.

dirtsider
04-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Don't know about frogs but mallard ducks "chuckle" in the evenings when they're settling down for the night. I heard them once when I was at college. There's a lake on campus and I heard them there but I think it was probably around mid-April or even into very early May.

RJK
04-23-2009, 08:54 PM
I'm not a frog expert but I have a large coy pond. The peepers are distinctive and loud. They have a peep sound, the other frogs (don't know what they are) have a trilling sound. I can hear them at night at this time of year and it continues through the summer. By mid summer, they grow to about fist size. I haven't heard the 'Croaking' sound associated with bullfrogs, so they may not be bullfrogs.

Puma
04-23-2009, 09:17 PM
Tree frogs and water frogs (bull frogs, green frogs, leopard frogs) are pretty noticeable in August, but the songs are different from the mating calls in the spring. The spring calls are more like an Eep-eep or breee-p and the August calls can be more like a bark or "jug-a-rum" for the larger frogs and a long drawn out trill for the tree frogs. If my memory is correct, spring peepers are actually a type of tree frog. Puma

jeseymour
04-23-2009, 09:50 PM
Yes, Puma, I think you're right. The song is there, it's just different. And yes, spring peepers are tree frogs. Thanks!