PDA

View Full Version : Should you delete your Crit post?

MaLanie1971
04-23-2009, 06:09 PM
Before you start the query process should you delete your work you posted for a critique?

I have read that you don't want to have any of the work posted as it could be a problem if the publisher finds out its on line for public viewing.

I'm concerned I will forget where I posted it and end up with contract issues later. That's why I have been deleting my crit post after they have had plenty reviews.

What are your thoughts?

DeleyanLee
04-23-2009, 06:14 PM
My test would be: Google the post. If it comes up, then delete it. If it doesn't, then no editor/agent will find it on a search.

Then again, I do this (using something I read on the site) before I post my work for critique because of copyright concerns. To date, no serious writers' site (such as AW) has allowed casual access to their critique space.

Puma
04-23-2009, 06:40 PM
Because of the password protection, Google can't find posts on Share Your Work. Most people let posts stay forever. For one - if the original post is taken down, but the comments are left, the thread no longer makes any sense. There's been a lot of discussion of this topic (pretty sure there's a sticky in SYW on it), the consensus seems to be that posting work for critique is not the same as posting it for public consumption. If you post your work on a blog that anyone can access, that's a potential problem. Puma

MaLanie1971
04-23-2009, 10:07 PM
I see

NicoleMD
04-23-2009, 10:17 PM
I usually delete mine after they've been up for a few weeks just so I know I won't have random old drafts floating around, but it's nothing that I stress over. It's just a personal choice.

Nicole

CaroGirl
04-23-2009, 10:32 PM
I've read in several publishers' guidelines that chapters, or partial chapters, posted on online critique sites are not considered in any way "published".

Gillhoughly
04-23-2009, 10:43 PM
Just ask the moderators of any board to delete the whole thread for you.

Editors have better things to do than look up old critiques.

The problem a publisher has is if you've posted the whole work, leaving it up in a "public" venue where anyone can drop in and read it. This can be considered giving away your "first rights".

Taking your works down is a good idea, but don't worry overmuch about it if the work was password protected.

Neos who post the whole thing on their websites...not doing themselves any favors! :D