My boss said, "She's my geek."

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
Recently, my boss called me into her office. She was talking to another employee by means of a speaker phone. They were discussing an issue about a particular software program that the employee was having difficulty with. When I walked into the office, my boss identified me by name and then said, "She's my geek."

I have no idea how others may feel about being called a geek but, I loved it! I'm no super geek or anything but, I suddenly felt as if I had accomplished something important. It makes me feel good to be able to help others without requiring a support ticket! LOL :tongue

Sincerely,
Gehanna

Williebee

Capeless, wingless, & yet I fly.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.ifoundaknife.com
Go you! Some folks in "techieland" like the term, some don't.

Me, I introduce myself at state meetings as the "House Geek" for my organization.

I do wonder if Carnival and Circus Geeks object to another culture adopting the use of the word.

Gehanna

Introvert
Registered
Reaction score
I was thinking that Revenge of the Nerds needs to be remade into Hack of the Geeks, or not.

Gehanna

Pagey's_Girl

Still plays with dolls
Registered
Reaction score
I was the official Geek Secretary at one of my old jobs. It got to where nobody would even call the (No) Help Desk. They'd yell for me. (As in "HELP! IT'S NOT WORKING!") I felt the same way - it was nice to be able to help people fix things without having to wait for the help desk to create a ticket and get a tech out.

I'd learned a lot from the real computer geeks when they were getting the Lotus Notes system and the internal network up and running. Once the deskside techs realized you were interested, they'd gladly show you all kinds of tricks and tips and work-arounds for just about anything.

samoht9

Registered
Reaction score
I love being thought of as a geek. I work with many a geek, so I'm just swimming in a sea of geekery which is fun.

Congrats on being recognized as such.

Go you! Some folks in "techieland" like the term, some don't.

Me, I introduce myself at state meetings as the "House Geek" for my organization.

I do wonder if Carnival and Circus Geeks object to another culture adopting the use of the word.

Hmm I wonder if they will start an all out war (geekwars?). That could get dangerous quick. Somehow I feel like circus geeks would have an edge in most fights.

groovyville

Jesus Only! <3
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.thedreamer.mysite.com
I'm not too fond of the term geek myself,
I actually think the term nerd is a little less harsh (wow that was probably the stupidest sentence ever written but anyway)

Yeah out of curiosity one time, I looked up both terms and it seems that geek sounds way more crazy and obsessive than nerd, so I prefer to be called a nerd.

(But then again, many people use the term geek as a compliment, so I'm kinda on the fence about it.)