Sending a full, hard copy manuscript

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
I got a request for a full manuscript!!! The agent wants a hard copy, unbound. It's 350 pages. What's the best way to manage sending the behemoth? Boxed? Super-duper sized paper clip? Rubber band?

colealpaugh

"Bear trumps Elephants!"
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.colealpaugh.com

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
$13?

No disrespect, dgrintalis, but even the website refers to the box as a "gem". Is that perhaps Freudian?

Many local librarians are happy to part with excellent Brodart boxes that range from a snug fit for 350 pages, on up in size...

Really, I'm not a wiseass--just a cheapskate.

LOL I didn't read the description. I looked for one a few weeks ago and bookmarked the site. I went with a 3.99 binder from Staples instead. (But it was just for my printed edit copy, not for mailing.)

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
LOL I didn't read the description. I looked for one a few weeks ago and bookmarked the site. I went with a 3.99 binder from Staples instead. (But it was just for my printed edit copy, not for mailing.)

DON'T mail it in a binder.

(I know you said you didn't, but just making sure no one reads it that way.)

No bindings. Not even one of those large capacity bradded ones with the stockpaper covers.

waylander

Who's going for a beer?
Registered
Reaction score
Rubber band.
I shipped mine in those bubblewrap padded envelopes

jclarkdawe

Feeling lucky, Query?
Registered
Reaction score
God, you people have it all wrong.

First off plan for a long day at Kinkos.

Second is copy each page of your manuscript, then laminating each page (both sides). This way when the agent spits coffee over your beautiful prose, the agent will be able to wipe the page off, hopefully leaving your prose in pristine shape. Never mind that this is expensive and takes time -- your writing is worth it. The fact that the agent can't make notes on the paper is not your concern.

Third is take each chapter and bind it carefully in rubber bands. You need ten rubber bands length wise and five rubber bands width wise. Remember, rubber bands break, and you want to err on the side of caution. Never mind that the agent will get irked at all the rubber bands, protecting your valuable manuscript is important. After you have all the rubber bands on, carefully wrap each chapter in plastic wrap. At least five layers so if there is any rain it won't get through to your perfect book. Remember that making sure your document is perfect is important. And the agent is going to be impressed by all the care you've exerted.

Fourth, take all of your chapters and strap them together with the strapping used for boxes of paper. Again, a ten by five system works well here. You don't want a strap breaking and causing problems. Remember, protection of the world's next best seller is paramount here. Take the entire manuscript and wrap carefully in bubble wrap. Multiple layers so that if the shipping container is punctured, none of your brilliant words will be compromised.

Now we can move onto the shipping container. Some people feel that there is a choice involved here. Some people feel that a one-inch oak chest is enough, screwed closed. Others feel that a quarter-inch steel case, welded shut, is the best choice. Both are in fact wrong. You start off with the oak chest and insert it into the steel case, making sure that the entire package is air and water tight.

Shipping agent can be a difficult choice. Some people believe that the post office works, while others swear by FedEx. Personally I know people who have sworn at both, as their manuscript gets lost or damaged in the process, causing an agent to reject it. Personally I believe that driving it to the agent is the only route, especially if you have to go overseas. Remember that you have to keep visual sight of your precious writing no matter what. Sleep is dangerous, as someone might steal the next Pulitzer prize winner, to publish it under their name.

Following these steps will guarantee the agent will be amazed at the care with which you've delivered your priceless manuscript. The agent will be able to make a decision sight unseen, as no one but a special writer would go to this extent to protect their manuscript.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
Not sure if this is ok, but you could doubleside your submission (save paper).

I really wish I could duplex it to make it more manageable, but the agent also specified single-sided. I've seen that preference often and wonder why.

Anyway - thanks everyone for the suggestions. Besides a kind librarian or a (possibly overpriced) website, where can you get a manuscript box?

Palmfrond

cereal killer
Registered
Reaction score
Staples has cheap, perfectly sized manuscript boxes.

WendyNYC

fiddle-dee-dee
Registered
Reaction score
Staples has cheap, perfectly sized manuscript boxes.

Yes, that's what I used. They even have thin and thick boxes.

And Jim has it all wrong, I'm afraid. You are supposed to hand deliver it. To her house. And wait outside while she reads. Sometimes peer into the window, just to show her how much you care.

eLfwriter

Indiscriminate Tree-Hugger
Registered
Reaction score
:headsmack:

Aw, I KNEW there was a reason I got that last rejection! It's because I didn't hand deliver it to his house! I should have known.

dgrintalis

'Tis true, she is a monstergirl
Registered
Reaction score
Betwixt a nightmare and a veil of shadowy dark
Oh Jim, this is priceless!!!

God, you people have it all wrong.

First off plan for a long day at Kinkos.

Second is copy each page of your manuscript, then laminating each page (both sides). This way when the agent spits coffee over your beautiful prose, the agent will be able to wipe the page off, hopefully leaving your prose in pristine shape. Never mind that this is expensive and takes time -- your writing is worth it. The fact that the agent can't make notes on the paper is not your concern.

Third is take each chapter and bind it carefully in rubber bands. You need ten rubber bands length wise and five rubber bands width wise. Remember, rubber bands break, and you want to err on the side of caution. Never mind that the agent will get irked at all the rubber bands, protecting your valuable manuscript is important. After you have all the rubber bands on, carefully wrap each chapter in plastic wrap. At least five layers so if there is any rain it won't get through to your perfect book. Remember that making sure your document is perfect is important. And the agent is going to be impressed by all the care you've exerted.

Fourth, take all of your chapters and strap them together with the strapping used for boxes of paper. Again, a ten by five system works well here. You don't want a strap breaking and causing problems. Remember, protection of the world's next best seller is paramount here. Take the entire manuscript and wrap carefully in bubble wrap. Multiple layers so that if the shipping container is punctured, none of your brilliant words will be compromised.

Now we can move onto the shipping container. Some people feel that there is a choice involved here. Some people feel that a one-inch oak chest is enough, screwed closed. Others feel that a quarter-inch steel case, welded shut, is the best choice. Both are in fact wrong. You start off with the oak chest and insert it into the steel case, making sure that the entire package is air and water tight.

Shipping agent can be a difficult choice. Some people believe that the post office works, while others swear by FedEx. Personally I know people who have sworn at both, as their manuscript gets lost or damaged in the process, causing an agent to reject it. Personally I believe that driving it to the agent is the only route, especially if you have to go overseas. Remember that you have to keep visual sight of your precious writing no matter what. Sleep is dangerous, as someone might steal the next Pulitzer prize winner, to publish it under their name.

Following these steps will guarantee the agent will be amazed at the care with which you've delivered your priceless manuscript. The agent will be able to make a decision sight unseen, as no one but a special writer would go to this extent to protect their manuscript.

Best of luck,

Jim Clark-Dawe

AyJay

Luv's Conscript
Registered
Reaction score
Website
andrewjpeterswrites.com
So I found the perfect box at Staples (thanks Twizzle for the suggestion), and my manuscript is boxed, neatly wrapped in brown paper and ready to go out and make all my dreams come true (this is my first full ms request so it's rather a big deal for me!). Now, opinions on how to mail it? Registered mail? Priority with delivery confirmation? I don't want to inconvenience the agent by having to go to a post office to sign for it, but on the other hand, I want to make sure it gets to her.