PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone else hate Queen of the Damned

Jetame
04-23-2009, 06:55 AM
I remember when I was a lad I wanted to see it dearly when it came out in theaters of around December 2001 or whenever it was released. Of course I ended up waiting a year until it came on HBO to see it. It sucked, I read some of the book which was pretty good and then forgot about it. Now for some reason all of my friends praise this horrible peice of film as one of the best things in theaters ever. Does anyone else besides Maddox agree with me that this move sucks?

A man dies still If he has done nothing ,as one who has done much
Supernatural seasons 1-3 dvd (http://www.boxset4less.com/products/Supernatural-Seasons-1-3-DVD-Boxset-DVDS-1523.html)||Smallville dvd (http://www.boxset4less.com/products/Smallville-Seasons-1-7-DVD-Boxset-DVDS-1250.html)||boxset4less (http://www.boxset4less.com)

LaurieD
04-23-2009, 06:58 AM
Anne Rice's Queen of the Damned? Loved the book, hated the movie. I had such visuals from reading the book and was so disappointed with the movie

dgrintalis
04-23-2009, 07:02 AM
Yes, the movie sucked. Despite the dark hair, Stuart Townsend did a good job portraying Lestat. If only it had been a better movie...

Romantic Heretic
04-24-2009, 05:12 PM
Yeah. The movie blew.

Don't care much for Rice's vampires anyway. They seemed a bit too inhuman to me, distant from the world, like Greek Gods.

scarletpeaches
04-24-2009, 05:14 PM
Stuart Townsend takes his shirt off. What's not to like?

sunna
04-24-2009, 05:30 PM
Stuart Townsend takes his shirt off. What's not to like?

Hmm. I never watched it, but I may have to now.

Kathleen42
04-24-2009, 06:03 PM
Of the four Vampire Chronicle books I read, it was my least favourite.

I eventually rented the movie because it stars Paul McGann. His voice was the only decent thing in it.

I did, however, find it a compelling argument as to why translating Lestat directly as written would have ruined Interview.

James81
04-24-2009, 06:40 PM
I hated it. Then again, I'm not much for Vampires. They are way overdone, overtired, and just boring.

robeiae
04-24-2009, 08:39 PM
Of course they're overtired, James. They're up all night...

James81
04-24-2009, 09:01 PM
Of course they're overtired, James. They're up all night...

Heh, yeah. But you'd think after that first cup of blood in the morning, they'd be alright.

caitysdad
04-28-2009, 11:38 PM
a very uneven movie from a great book. Stuart Townsend nailed playing Lestat, but some the decisions the producers or the studio made? Oh, boy. Read the book.

And I read that Tom Cruise had UA pick up the rights for "Tale of the Body Thief." That could either be very good or very bad. Most important would be the casting of Raglan James.

Zoombie
04-28-2009, 11:48 PM
I was furious when I saw this thread from outside of the forum. Cuase it was cut down to "Does anyone else hate Queen"

And I was like, "WHAT!? HOW CAN YOU HATE QUEEN! YOU BASTARDS, FREDDIE MERCURY IS GONNA COME BACK TO LIFE TO SLAP A- oh wait, Queen of the Damned! Ah, right, nevermind."

Yeah, the movie sucked.

Diana Hignutt
04-29-2009, 06:03 PM
No, I don't hate Queen of the Damned, in fact I purchased a DVd of it just last week. I'm a big Rice fan. Of course, the movie couldn't live up to the books (it was actually based on both The Vampire Lestat and QoD). And, I agree that the producers made some bad choices. But, do remember that Allayah died in the middle of making it, so that hurt the production. Stuart Townsend was a very good Lestat. But, the music for that movie rocks.

E. Arroway
04-30-2009, 12:06 AM
Stuart Townsend in all his decadent, rock-and-roll vampire glory is pretty much enough reason for me to own a copy.

scarletpeaches
04-30-2009, 12:21 AM
Stuart Townsend in all his decadent, rock-and-roll vampire glory is pretty much enough reason for me to own a copy.

Word.

Adam
04-30-2009, 01:57 AM
I thought the film was appalling, despite the hawtnesses of Alliyah (a black woman, playing a character known for her marble like alabaster skin...) and Stuart Townsend.

Jcomp
04-30-2009, 02:20 AM
Heh, yeah. But you'd think after that first cup of blood in the morning, they'd be alright.

Depends on whether or not they're feeding on somebody who just left a Starbucks...

KTC
04-30-2009, 02:25 AM
I was unimpressed by the movie. I thought Stuart made an okay Lestat though. Cruise blew monkey chunks as Lestat. Everybody praised it so much...it was just the anti-Lestat. He blew. My favourite chronicles book was The Vampire, Lestat. It'd be interesting to see that one turned to film.

ElsaM
04-30-2009, 07:18 AM
I remember when they were filming it. Never before had I seen so many goths in the one place.