PDA

View Full Version : Price of Jersey Cow

MaLanie1971
04-22-2009, 09:15 PM
Anyone have an idea what a Jersey Cow would have cost in 1938? Or a ball park range for a starting auction bid?

Cyia
04-22-2009, 09:21 PM
For breeding purposes or slaughter? (And do you mean literally a female "cow", or a bull?)

MaLanie1971
04-22-2009, 10:14 PM
This would be a female cow, for milking only. The family has to sell, Elsie in their farm auction.

Cyia
04-22-2009, 10:26 PM
According to Google, stocker cows were selling at something like 10-12 cents/pound. I think a milk cow would go for less than that since the weight didn't matter so long as it was a healthy cow. (not sure on that one, though)

Assuming an average 900-950 Jersey heifer, that's $90-$95. If it's an auction to pay off debts, you can probably cut that to $60 or even $40 since people buy dirt cheap at debt auction.

MaLanie1971
04-23-2009, 01:38 AM
Thank you, yes it's a debt auction. I would have never got that on my own! Thanks, again!

JrFFKacy
04-23-2009, 09:42 PM
According to Google, stocker cows were selling at something like 10-12 cents/pound. I think a milk cow would go for less than that since the weight didn't matter so long as it was a healthy cow. (not sure on that one, though)

Assuming an average 900-950 Jersey heifer, that's $90-$95. If it's an auction to pay off debts, you can probably cut that to $60 or even $40 since people buy dirt cheap at debt auction.

Is this in 1938 or now? Now Jersey calves (newborn ) go for like $30 or less. Our Holstein bull calves (120lbs) sometimes only go for $40 (should get over $100, but veal calves just aren't selling right now).

Cull cows, as in cows that have been milked, but are no good anymore for whatever reason (Age, injury, low production, etc) that are going for slaughter get 40 cents a pound on a good day.

Good dairy cattle are currently exporting at $1200/head for a decent registered, breeding age heifer.

A cow in milk will always sell for a lot more than a cow destined for slaughter. Like double slaughter prices, unless someone really wants to get rid of her. It also depends on whether she's got a good temperment (which most Jerseys do), milks fast or slow, and whether she milks out of all four quarters (a 3/4 cow is always cheap).

I wonder if there's an archive of cattle prices on any of the livestock auction sites? Might be a neat historical piece of info (or something very depressing, since cattle were actually worth $$$ before BSE hit Canada).

Or why don't you contact Jersey Canada, or one of the other breed clubs and ask them. One of their older members probably knows the answer.