PDA

View Full Version : What's so special about Michelle Obama's "style"?

Bravo
04-22-2009, 08:31 PM
i am really getting sick of seeing articles about obama's "fashion sense". it's so average, who cares about it?

it's not bad just whatever.

why is she being compared to jackie o? why is she being compared to the french supermodel first lady, carla bruni?

driving me nuts.

just wearing straight up j crew outfits does not make a person a style icon, i'm sorry.

Bravo
04-22-2009, 08:36 PM
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/fashion/stylephile/michelle_obama_k9v9kznc_450.jpg vs http://layoder.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/nicolas-sarkozy-carla-bruni.jpg

that says it all.

Bravo
04-22-2009, 08:37 PM
For Carla Bruni, reigning queen of First Ladies, the game is finally up. Cindy McCain would have been a push-over; even Sarah Palin she could have coped with, sexy specs or otherwise. But in Michelle Obama, Ms Bruni has truly met her match. This is a First Lady like none before.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/us_and_americas/us_elections/article5086230.ece

gah!

Kitty Pryde
04-22-2009, 08:47 PM
I think she manages to look very sophisticated and elegant without looking 'fancy' or aloof. And I think that sort of down-to-earth high class is really intriguing to America right now, with the economy in the toilet and every other news article teaching us how to spend less money. And really, IMO fashion doesn't have to call attention to itself, it can just look good without making us think, Gee! Those clothes sure are fancy!

That said, I'm not falling all over myself to follow the Michelle Obama fashion watch. I'm slightly more interested in what her husband gets up to :D

Rachel
04-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Fashion is evil. Clothing wasn't made to be drooled over. In fact, it makes it look icky.

DeleyanLee
04-22-2009, 08:52 PM
I wanted an "Other" option.

I don't really care when the entertainment news covers stuff like Obama's fashion choices--I mean, that's their jobs. I can see that kind of article and avoid it.

But when they take a report about the political end of things (like the Obamas meeting with the queen), and it's political political political Fashion political political political Fashion political -- that just drives me insane.

I think she's being compared to Jackie O because of her age, honestly. She is the first First Lady we've had in a while who's been on the younger side of 55, after all. Heavens forbid that we might have a fashion-conscious older First Lady, after all. :Shrug:

CaroGirl
04-22-2009, 08:55 PM
Fashion isn't inherently evil, but I do agree that media can be sexist when reporting about women's fashion. Why take up so much bandwidth in the news, I mean the regular evening new, not just the entertainment news, with stories about what the women in politics are wearing? It's a time-waster. However, media give the public what it wants. If consumers of pop culture want dirt or trivia, that's exactly what the media give them. Bah humbug on that, I say.

robeiae
04-22-2009, 09:13 PM
I think she looks nice.

Beyond that, I don't know anything else to say.

Wayne K
04-22-2009, 09:23 PM
I think she's the best looking first lady ever. I was verbally abused in the library in Marcus Hook PA. for saying so, and one guy even dropped the N bomb.

I've always been down with the swirl though so I'm used to it.

darkprincealain
04-22-2009, 09:25 PM
By comparison though, aren't first ladies typically frumpy? I know that's a generalization, but I don't remember any of the ones since I've been around as having Bruni's sense of style or Obama's ability to choose elegantly simple outfits.

I don't think normally that it is a sexist issue to discuss women's style. Men have fewer options. In this case though, it does seem irresponsible of the news channels to cover it as hard news. It really is a non-issue. You'd think this kind of stuff would be more likely to be covered by a fashion show than on shows that are supposedly geared to bring more newsworthy items.

robeiae
04-22-2009, 09:29 PM
Well, she's younger than most First Ladies, no?

Perks
04-22-2009, 09:30 PM
I think it's all the comparisons - to former First Ladies and to current ones elsewhere - that's being done to ridiculous lengths.

Michelle Obama is a nice looking lady. She looks mostly comfortable and confident and that's good for her job. Beyond that, who cares?

jennontheisland
04-22-2009, 09:32 PM
I don't have the time to dedicate to pondering such an important issue.

James81
04-22-2009, 09:34 PM
She's definately got the best body of any previous first lady. I'll give her that.

Finally, a first lady I can be attracted to. :D

Well, besides Barbara Bush of course.

Wayne K
04-22-2009, 09:36 PM
http://ursispaltenstein.ch/blog/images/uploads_img/mouth_eyes.jpg

Beats this right?

CaroGirl
04-22-2009, 09:37 PM
She's definately got the best body of any previous first lady. I'll give her that.

Finally, a first lady I can be attracted to. :D

Well, besides Barbara Bush of course.
She was the first lady? I always thought she was his mother.

DeleyanLee
04-22-2009, 09:39 PM

Wife of the first President George Bush, then came Clinton, then she was First Mother.

robeiae
04-22-2009, 09:39 PM
I don't know. Francis Cleveland was no push-over:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.authentichistory.com/postcivilwar/timeline/Francis_Folsom_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.authentichistory.com/postcivilwar/timeline/Francis_Folsom_Cleveland.html&usg=__3Jk2rF2FSvo6ml91S_8jqWrKr18=&h=466&w=320&sz=37&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=KGAwUcJuoTl6ZM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3DFrances%2BFolsom%2BCleveland%26hl%3De n%26rlz%3D1T4DAUS_enUS317US317%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Of course, she was only 21 when she became First Lady...

James81
04-22-2009, 09:40 PM

Hmmm, I can't tell if you are being serious of not. :D

I'll defer to my Handbook on Ambigious Internet Posts and get back to you.

James81
04-22-2009, 09:41 PM
I don't know. Francis Cleveland was no push-over:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://www.authentichistory.com/postcivilwar/timeline/Francis_Folsom_1.jpg&imgrefurl=http://www.authentichistory.com/postcivilwar/timeline/Francis_Folsom_Cleveland.html&usg=__3Jk2rF2FSvo6ml91S_8jqWrKr18=&h=466&w=320&sz=37&hl=en&start=3&um=1&tbnid=KGAwUcJuoTl6ZM:&tbnh=128&tbnw=88&prev=/images%3Fq%3DFrances%2BFolsom%2BCleveland%26hl%3De n%26rlz%3D1T4DAUS_enUS317US317%26sa%3DN%26um%3D1

Of course, she was only 21 when she became First Lady...

Oh wow. I think I'm in love.

billythrilly7th
04-22-2009, 09:44 PM
i am really getting sick of seeing articles about obama's "fashion sense". it's so average, who cares about it?

it's not bad just whatever.

why is she being compared to jackie o? why is she being compared to the french supermodel first lady, carla bruni?

driving me nuts.

just wearing straight up j crew outfits does not make a person a style icon, i'm sorry.

I agree. She's a horrible dresser so far. The "First 100 Outfits" have not gone well.

But it's early.

The

CaroGirl
04-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Wife of the first President George Bush, then came Clinton, then she was First Mother.

Hmmm, I can't tell if you are being serious of not. :D

I'll defer to my Handbook on Ambigious Internet Posts and get back to you.
Yeah. I was kidding (not ignorant). Perhaps a smilie face was in order there. Here's one: :) And another: ;)

Wayne K
04-22-2009, 09:45 PM
Martha Washington was considered a supermodel in her day.

http://www.beaverton.k12.or.us/jacob_wismer/leahy/revolution/martha_washington.jpg

Pilot
04-22-2009, 09:48 PM
http://www.boston.com/lifestyle/fashion/stylephile/michelle_obama_k9v9kznc_450.jpg vs http://layoder.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/nicolas-sarkozy-carla-bruni.jpg

that says it all.

AMEN to THAT!!! And comparing her to Jackie O? Jackie wouldn't have been caught dead in that abomination. Jackie did occasionally wear jeans, though, and looked pretty darned good in them. That lady had Class.

James81
04-22-2009, 09:50 PM
You know who I miss already?

the Bush daughters.

http://elections.donyell.net/jenna_barbara/barbara3.jpg

http://cache.boston.com/images/daily/03/twins_clothes2.jpg

Wayne K
04-22-2009, 09:58 PM
AMEN to THAT!!! And comparing her to Jackie O? Jackie wouldn't have been caught dead in that abomination. Jackie did occasionally wear jeans, though, and looked pretty darned good in them. That lady had Class.

How is that an abomination? I think you're overusing the word.

Michelle has class too BTW.

KikiteNeko
04-22-2009, 10:06 PM
It drives me nuts, too. I voted for Obama and all that, but I don't care what his wife is wearing or where his kids go to school.. And no woman can compare herself to Jackie O, IMO.

Shadow_Ferret
04-22-2009, 10:12 PM
Hey, she's making Walmart chic. Don't knock. it.

Pilot
04-22-2009, 10:20 PM
How is that an abomination? I think you're overusing the word.

Obviously, beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Actually, I was looking through my tiny little mind for a stronger word than "abomination" when I wrote that one.

Michelle has class too BTW.

You are certainly entitled to your opinion.

CaroGirl
04-22-2009, 10:26 PM
It drives me nuts, too. I voted for Obama and all that, but I don't care what his wife is wearing or where his kids go to school.. And no woman can compare herself to Jackie O, IMO.
Why? Was Jackie O. somehow not a woman? I mean, she had boobs, I have boobs. She had legs, arms, a torso, and so on. She wore clothing, I wear clothing. I don't think there's ever been a human being so transcendent we couldn't compare her to another human being. And if there were, it wasn't Jackie O. Mother Teresa or Gandhi, maybe.

Wayne K
04-22-2009, 10:27 PM
I honestly don't understand where all the hate is coming from. Michelle isn't strutting around saying "Look at me " the idiot media is. I'd like to find one person who hasn't had a bad fashion day here. I checked google images and the image in the OP is the only one that stands out.

What bothers me is that she hasn't done a damn thing to deserve it. She's a class act and anyone who says otherwise is wrong or worse.

DeleyanLee
04-22-2009, 10:30 PM
Michelle isn't strutting around saying "Look at me " the idiot media is.

QFT

Pilot
04-22-2009, 10:40 PM
[quote=Wayne K;3520770]I honestly don't understand where all the hate is coming from. Michelle isn't strutting around saying "Look at me " the idiot media is. I'd like to find one person who hasn't had a bad fashion day here. I checked google images and the image in the OP is the only one that stands out.[quote]

Let me be clear. I do not hate the woman. She is simply the wife of a man the people elected to the presidency. What I hate is the fawning that the media generates in the public.

[quote=Wayne K;3520770]What bothers me is that she hasn't done a damn thing to deserve it. She's a class act and anyone who says otherwise is wrong or worse.[quote]

If you look at the way her husband promoted her to a million dollar a year job on the strength of his offices, and the fact that she accepted that promotion and the money, as one example, it tends to cast her in a light that appears not to be so classy. Being a class act requires more, much more, than appearance alone. As for my being wrong...perhaps. I've never met her and am unlikely to do so.

Wayne K
04-22-2009, 11:00 PM
She and her brother, Craig (who is 21 months older), skipped the second grade. By sixth grade, Michelle joined a gifted class at Bryn Mawr Elementary School (later renamed Bouchet Academy)

During her early months as First Lady, she has frequently visited homeless shelters and soup kitchens. She has also sent representatives to schools and advocated public service.On her first trip abroad in April 2009, she toured a cancer ward with Sarah Brown, wife of British Prime Minister Gordon Brown.She has began advocating on behalf of military families. Unlike her predecessors Clinton and Bush who responded to the organic movement with organic food, Obama has attempted to pursue organic agriculture in her home gardening efforts.

Obama has become an advocate of her husband's policy priorities by promoting bills that support it. Following the enactment of the Pay equity law, Obama hosted a White House reception for women's rights advocates in celebration. Some observers have looked favorably upon Mrs. Obama's legislative activities, while others feel that she should be less involved in the intense politics. According to her representatives, she intends to visit all United States Cabinet-level agencies in order to get acquainted with Washington.

She has gained growing public support in her early months as first lady. She is notable for her support from military families and some Republicans. As the public is growing accustomed to her, she is becoming more accepted as a role model

These are the credentials of a classless whore. You win.

dclary
04-22-2009, 11:06 PM
My mother says Ms. Obama is very hit and miss on her fashion sense. This seems par for the course for any celebrity.

I think, because both Laura and Hilary dressed well, but were not necessarily "socialites" the media is trying to add to their spin that this is Camelot Redux. There hasn't been a "snazzy" dresser in the white house since Kennedy.

TerzaRima
04-22-2009, 11:10 PM

For the same reason that gossip magazines keep burbling on about Jennifer Aniston and Angelina Jolie and OMG THEY CAME WITHIN TEN FEET OF EACH OTHER AT THE OSCARS WHERES MY FAINTING COUCH

Setting up contrived little catfights sells, apparently.

Pilot
04-22-2009, 11:10 PM
These are the credentials of a classless whore. You win.

Cute.

I would point out that I'm rather closely associated with the military, however, (retired USAF colonel) and have heard nothing of the items mentioned in what you quote. Doesn't mean it isn't so, but I would have thought my contacts would have mentioned it.

I do not trust the media agendas.

Williebee
04-22-2009, 11:17 PM
I would point out that I'm rather closely associated with the military, however, (retired USAF colonel) and have heard nothing of the items mentioned in what you quote.

That's a bit like saying, I know people in Kansas City, therefore I know what the Mayor's wife is like, isn't it?

ETA: Although it is kind of nice that it only took two pages to go from debating how someone dresses (the OP) to who they might be.

Pilot
04-22-2009, 11:22 PM
That's a bit like saying, I know people in Kansas City, therefore I know what the Mayor's wife is like, isn't it?

Hardly. Those of us who have held flag rank take a deep interest in our personnel. Our military is actually one very large extended family. The article says she's been working for military families and none of my associates have mentioned her involvement. To have a president's wife interested in our families would be a great thing, and would seemingly have been mentioned in one of our many phone calls and/or meetings.

CaroGirl
04-22-2009, 11:26 PM
The quote said she is notable for her support from military families. Not for military families. Reading comprehension 101.

Back to your corners, you two.

Wayne K
04-22-2009, 11:38 PM
The quote said she is notable for her support from military families. Not for military families. Reading comprehension 101.

I think that speaks volumes more than "for" everyone is for, from means she's earned some respect from them.

Williebee
04-22-2009, 11:38 PM
Quick bit of google fu.

A month ago in North Carolina. The source is the US Army (http://www.army.mil/-news/2009/03/12/18173-first-lady-visits-fort-bragg-vows-support-for-military-families/)

Pilot
04-22-2009, 11:39 PM

Reading comprehension 101.
"She has began (sic) advocating on behalf of military families."

Got a better idea. I'll just bow out and let you professionals handle it all. Have a good one.

Bravo
04-22-2009, 11:45 PM
I honestly don't understand where all the hate is coming from. Michelle isn't strutting around saying "Look at me " the idiot media is. .

that's kind of the entire point of this thread and the poll.

the media has blown her sense of style completely out of proportion. the way she dresses is fine, nothing special, nothing bad, it's appropriate for the first lady. there really shouldnt be that much to write about.

and IF she was really that stylish, a simple passing remark about it would suffice.

disproportionate response.

Williebee
04-22-2009, 11:47 PM
Hardly. Those of us who have held flag rank take a deep interest in our personnel. Our military is actually one very large extended family.

I was going to let you slide on the elitism in this comment, mate. But, please, remember who you're on the forum with. A number of us have spent as much, and more, time in that family as you have.

Jcomp
04-22-2009, 11:55 PM
I think it's crazy how the media never lets dudes try being any kind of fashionable. We're always stuck in the same generic formal attire while the wives get to rock whatever. I want to see Obama break the mold and get pictured in some Terry Benedict Ocean's 11 suits one of these days...

Williebee
04-23-2009, 12:01 AM
I want to see Obama break the mold and get pictured in some Terry Benedict Ocean's 11 suits one of these days...

Heck yes. And, while we're at it, bring hats back.

Wayne K
04-23-2009, 12:35 AM
that's kind of the entire point of this thread and the poll.

the media has blown her sense of style completely out of proportion. the way she dresses is fine, nothing special, nothing bad, it's appropriate for the first lady. there really shouldnt be that much to write about.

and IF she was really that stylish, a simple passing remark about it would suffice.

No it isn't. It's aimed at the response to her being classless because she wore an ugly dress. Read the posts.
Eta: I don't find the dress all that ugly either.

CaroGirl
04-23-2009, 12:49 AM
Reading comprehension 101.
"She has began (sic) advocating on behalf of military families."

Got a better idea. I'll just bow out and let you professionals handle it all. Have a good one.
Maybe I blanked that out because of the bad grammar.

No need to get snarky and sarcastic, however. This is OP, not TIO.

Pilot
04-23-2009, 12:58 AM
I was going to let you slide on the elitism in this comment, mate. But, please, remember who you're on the forum with. A number of us have spent as much, and more, time in that family as you have.

I wasn't going to respond to this thread again, but I can't pass this. YOU chose to call this elitism when no such thing was intended. If I wanted to show elitism, I would remind you that Air Force fighter pilots represent far less than 1 percent of the population. The number of us who have flown in combat is a small percentage of that. You don't know me. Please give me the consideration of not trying to read my mind. Thank you.

Edit: If you spent more than 27 years in the military, then you certainly did spend longer on active duty in the family than I did.

TerzaRima
04-23-2009, 01:27 AM
Michelle Obama is a nice looking lady. She looks mostly comfortable and confident and that's good for her job. Beyond that, who cares?

Exactly. I like Michelle Obama's look precisely because it isn't Jackie O's--it's more relatable and modern. The First Lady's role is different from what it was in Jackie's day, and she has a lot more to do than redecorate the White House and have Pablo Casals over for dinner--this is not a slam on Jackie, and youse all know what a freak for the Kennedys I am. Fashion was really a major part of Jackie's job--she spent hours in conference with Oleg Cassini designing her outfits, usually spending Old Joe's money.

The women of Michelle's generation have been raised--and thank God--with different expectations. I appreciate that she always looks pretty, confident, and not like she tried too hard. That's what I aim for in the mornings when I get dressed; most of the time I just settle for "clean".

Bravo
04-23-2009, 01:34 AM
No it isn't. It's aimed at the response to her being classless because she wore an ugly dress. Read the posts.

dude, not everything's about you.

the "disproportionate response" line was pretty clearly a reference to the media's response to her style, not about your posts.

Eta: I don't find the dress all that ugly either.

it was an abomination.

but it's done now, she slightly redeemed herself with her inauguration outfits.

go mbama!

Wayne K
04-23-2009, 01:52 AM
dude, not everything's about you.

the "disproportionate response" line was pretty clearly a reference to the media's response to her style, not about your posts.

it was an abomination.

but it's done now, she slightly redeemed herself with her inauguration outfits.

go mbama!

Read it again it looks like you're saying my response was disproportionate. Plus you quoted me so no it's not me thinking everything is about me.

ETA: and if that dress is an abomination what word do you people use for something that truly is?

Abomination:
a person who is loathsome or disgusting
abhorrence: hate coupled with disgust
an action that is vicious or vile; an action that arouses disgust or abhorrence; "his treatment of the children is an abomination"

Bravo
04-23-2009, 02:06 AM
the media has blown her sense of style completely out of proportion ....

hopefully that clears things up.

tiny
04-23-2009, 02:07 AM
I think it's crazy how the media never lets dudes try being any kind of fashionable. We're always stuck in the same generic formal attire while the wives get to rock whatever. I want to see Obama break the mold and get pictured in some Terry Benedict Ocean's 11 suits one of these days...

You know, I agree. I want to see more male fashion. Womens' fashion interests me not. :D

I think the First Lady looks pretty good, but I base that on the way she looks at her husband and not what she's wearing. Happiness reads quite beautifully. I always thought Hillary was giving Bill the evil eye.

Wayne K
04-23-2009, 02:17 AM
I always thought Hillary was giving Bill the evil eye.
Can you blame her?

2old2pb
04-23-2009, 03:55 AM
She looks much better than the cami clothed women that are here.

jodiodi
04-23-2009, 04:04 AM
I find her clothes nice and she's a very 'presentable' representative of our country as First Lady. I also like that her clothes are 'attainable', i.e., we, the people, can get the same clothes, find our own fashion sense like Mrs. Obama, without taking out another mortgage on the house for one outfit.

Remember, our country is in dire financial straits at present and many people are out of work. I, for one, appreciate the First Lady not squandering money on 'high-fashion' that normal people can't relate to, can't afford, and can't wear.

She's a First Lady for our particular time in history. Jackie Kennedy was from a different time and place, as was Nancy Reagan. I don't remember too much talk about Hillary Clinton's First Lady wardrobe.

KikiteNeko
04-23-2009, 04:53 AM
Why? Was Jackie O. somehow not a woman? I mean, she had boobs, I have boobs. She had legs, arms, a torso, and so on. She wore clothing, I wear clothing. I don't think there's ever been a human being so transcendent we couldn't compare her to another human being. And if there were, it wasn't Jackie O. Mother Teresa or Gandhi, maybe.

Jackie O is an immortal fashion legend. I have yet to see a comparison that holds water.

Silver King
04-23-2009, 07:00 AM
It would be wonderful if the press would spread more ink on what she plans to do instead of what she currently wears.

She's in a unique position to do a great deal of good for the world at large, so who gives a flying intercourse what she's wearing on any particular day?

I mean seriously, who in their mind would discount her out of hand based merely upon her fashion sense?

poetinahat
04-23-2009, 07:09 AM
What I like about her look is that it's hers - she looks happy with how she dresses, and it seems she's dressing to please herself - very un-self-conscious. She seems not to care much about fashion scorecards; I love that. I'd imagine she's well aware of the relative unimportance of what she wears, but she doesn't seem to bother about it either way. What's not to like about her?

And, yeah, I think she wears it well.

Judg
04-23-2009, 08:30 AM
Actually, our Pierre Trudeau was known for his elegance.

Politically, I think he was a disaster, but he did dress with pizzazz.

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2008/11/19/220-trudeau-greycup-cp1970.jpg

jodiodi
04-23-2009, 09:25 AM

All I remember about Trudeau was reading that his wife screwed around with the Rolling Stones. Otherwise, he was just a guy in a history book.

Lyra Jean
04-23-2009, 10:18 AM
So could Michelle possibly be more like Eleanor Roosevelt rather than Jackie O.?

brainstorm77
04-23-2009, 08:11 PM
I don't have the time to dedicate to pondering such an important issue.
:D

Kateri
04-26-2009, 06:09 PM
Imagine if she wasn't discussed, it would be seen as a rebuff or insult. She seems personable, fashionable and she is the Presidents wife. She is newsworthy by default. Her clothes, well I wouldn't know. I wear what I like, I hope she can too.

Devil Ledbetter
04-26-2009, 06:47 PM
vs http://layoder.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/nicolas-sarkozy-carla-bruni.jpg

that says it all.Wow, jeans and a sweater? ... And *gasp* a scarf? She's so fashion-forward the world of couture is simply reeling! /sarcasm

Seriously, Bravo. Don't most of the women you know dress like this pretty much every day? I'm in boring old Michigan and I normally don't step out of the house unless I'm dressed at least this well. You need to raise your standards a little - or admit you're just smitten with the French first lady because she's bears a passing resemblance to Jessica Biel.

If either of these first ladies had any real fashion sense, they'd be wearing hats.

Bravo
04-26-2009, 06:54 PM
turn off safe search in google images and type in "carla bruni".

there you go.

Devil Ledbetter
04-26-2009, 07:02 PM
turn off safe search in google images and type in "carla bruni".

there you go.Hmm. I didn't even need to turn off safe search to come up with several nude shots of her and several more of her bare butt. So taking off your clothes and prancing around in front of a camera is now "fashion sense"?:rolleyes:

I'll give you points for consistency, at least.

I'm glad our first lady has better credentials than "former model."

Bravo
04-26-2009, 07:06 PM
So taking off your clothes and prancing around in front of a camera is now "fashion sense"?

yes.

a very good one.

Devil Ledbetter
04-26-2009, 07:09 PM
yes.

a very good one.But you're forgetting, this is not France. The French are far more beautiful and far less hung up on nudity and sex.

Bravo
04-26-2009, 07:11 PM
i especially like the one where she's in just a towel.

Bravo
04-26-2009, 07:13 PM
wait, what were you talking about?

oh yeah, turn google safe search back on and try to take a look of her with clothes on.

still has lots of style.

case closed.

michelle obama's style is just fine, serviceable.

carla bruni's style is fantastic.

the two should not have been compared.

Bravo
04-26-2009, 07:15 PM
wow. (http://www.etoday.ru/uploads/2008/03/14/carla_bruni_sarkozy_elysee_palace01.jpg)

(SFW)

Jcomp
04-26-2009, 07:17 PM

http://www.cbc.ca/gfx/images/sports/photos/2008/11/19/220-trudeau-greycup-cp1970.jpg

Yeah, that's 70's super-fresh. The hat, the cloak, you could go hunting vampires in an outfit like that. I want to see Obama bust out the Michael Corleone ascot, or a nautical themed pashmina afghan...

Ken
04-26-2009, 07:31 PM
It would be wonderful if the press would spread more ink on what she plans to do instead of what she currently wears.

... agree.

And then you got the Press with their other favorite topic of discussion: How's the new dog, Ms Obama? Have you taught it any new tricks? Does it eat Kibbles 'n Bits or some other brand of dog food?

In fairness, they do this with all first ladies: treating them like brainless twits who don't have a shred of intelligence. In Michelle's case nothing could be further from the truth. So start asking her some serious questions, man, and get your minds off her dang dresses and hosiery.

William Haskins
04-26-2009, 09:18 PM
the obama presidency has been as much PR as politics, and has relied heavily on building a cult of personality around them both.

as the boomers had JFK and camelot, gen xers have the obamas, who symbolically occupy the same sort of space, the same sense of a "breath of fresh air" after years of older couples occupying the white house.

and it's not just the media. anyone who frequents democratic/progressive messageboards and communities has been treated to 100 days of fawning threads on both of them for what they wear, how beautiful they are and how wonderful their fashion sense is.

america, having never passed through an era of royalty, tends to elevate some celebrities and public figures to such levels.