What's so special about Michelle Obama's "style"?

Why is Mrs O a fashion icon?

• Total voters

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
i am really getting sick of seeing articles about obama's "fashion sense". it's so average, who cares about it?

it's not bad just whatever.

why is she being compared to jackie o? why is she being compared to the french supermodel first lady, carla bruni?

driving me nuts.

just wearing straight up j crew outfits does not make a person a style icon, i'm sorry.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score
michelle_obama_k9v9kznc_450.jpg
vs
nicolas-sarkozy-carla-bruni.jpg

that says it all.

Bravo

Socialitest
Registered
Reaction score

Kitty Pryde

i luv you giant bear statue
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I think she manages to look very sophisticated and elegant without looking 'fancy' or aloof. And I think that sort of down-to-earth high class is really intriguing to America right now, with the economy in the toilet and every other news article teaching us how to spend less money. And really, IMO fashion doesn't have to call attention to itself, it can just look good without making us think, Gee! Those clothes sure are fancy!

That said, I'm not falling all over myself to follow the Michelle Obama fashion watch. I'm slightly more interested in what her husband gets up to :D

Rachel

Stuff and nonsense.
Registered
Reaction score
Fashion is evil. Clothing wasn't made to be drooled over. In fact, it makes it look icky.

DeleyanLee

Writing Anarchist
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
I wanted an "Other" option.

I don't really care when the entertainment news covers stuff like Obama's fashion choices--I mean, that's their jobs. I can see that kind of article and avoid it.

But when they take a report about the political end of things (like the Obamas meeting with the queen), and it's political political political Fashion political political political Fashion political -- that just drives me insane.

I think she's being compared to Jackie O because of her age, honestly. She is the first First Lady we've had in a while who's been on the younger side of 55, after all. Heavens forbid that we might have a fashion-conscious older First Lady, after all. :Shrug:

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Fashion isn't inherently evil, but I do agree that media can be sexist when reporting about women's fashion. Why take up so much bandwidth in the news, I mean the regular evening new, not just the entertainment news, with stories about what the women in politics are wearing? It's a time-waster. However, media give the public what it wants. If consumers of pop culture want dirt or trivia, that's exactly what the media give them. Bah humbug on that, I say.

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
I think she's the best looking first lady ever. I was verbally abused in the library in Marcus Hook PA. for saying so, and one guy even dropped the N bomb.

I've always been down with the swirl though so I'm used to it.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
By comparison though, aren't first ladies typically frumpy? I know that's a generalization, but I don't remember any of the ones since I've been around as having Bruni's sense of style or Obama's ability to choose elegantly simple outfits.

I don't think normally that it is a sexist issue to discuss women's style. Men have fewer options. In this case though, it does seem irresponsible of the news channels to cover it as hard news. It really is a non-issue. You'd think this kind of stuff would be more likely to be covered by a fashion show than on shows that are supposedly geared to bring more newsworthy items.

Perks

delicate #!&@*#! flower
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jamie-mason.com
I think it's all the comparisons - to former First Ladies and to current ones elsewhere - that's being done to ridiculous lengths.

Michelle Obama is a nice looking lady. She looks mostly comfortable and confident and that's good for her job. Beyond that, who cares?

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
She's definately got the best body of any previous first lady. I'll give her that.

Finally, a first lady I can be attracted to. :D

Well, besides Barbara Bush of course.

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
She's definately got the best body of any previous first lady. I'll give her that.

Finally, a first lady I can be attracted to. :D

Well, besides Barbara Bush of course.
She was the first lady? I always thought she was his mother.

robeiae

Touch and go
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Website
thepondsofhappenstance.com

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
She was the first lady? I always thought she was his mother.

Hmmm, I can't tell if you are being serious of not. :D

I'll defer to my Handbook on Ambigious Internet Posts and get back to you.

Reaction score
i am really getting sick of seeing articles about obama's "fashion sense". it's so average, who cares about it?

it's not bad just whatever.

why is she being compared to jackie o? why is she being compared to the french supermodel first lady, carla bruni?

driving me nuts.

just wearing straight up j crew outfits does not make a person a style icon, i'm sorry.

I agree. She's a horrible dresser so far. The "First 100 Outfits" have not gone well.

But it's early.

The

CaroGirl

Living the dream
Registered
Reaction score
Wife of the first President George Bush, then came Clinton, then she was First Mother.

Hmmm, I can't tell if you are being serious of not. :D

I'll defer to my Handbook on Ambigious Internet Posts and get back to you.
Yeah. I was kidding (not ignorant). Perhaps a smilie face was in order there. Here's one: :) And another: ;)

Wayne K

Banned
Reaction score
Martha Washington was considered a supermodel in her day.

martha_washington.jpg

Pilot

Commander Tiberius
Registered
Reaction score
michelle_obama_k9v9kznc_450.jpg
vs
nicolas-sarkozy-carla-bruni.jpg

that says it all.

AMEN to THAT!!! And comparing her to Jackie O? Jackie wouldn't have been caught dead in that abomination. Jackie did occasionally wear jeans, though, and looked pretty darned good in them. That lady had Class.

James81

Great Scott Member
Registered
Reaction score
You know who I miss already?

the Bush daughters.

barbara3.jpg

twins_clothes2.jpg