To the Westerners

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
A question for all my fellow westerners out there.

The long coat, would it have been called a duster or a riders coat? We're talking around the 1870's here.

Last edited:

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
Can't answer off the top of my head. Try using Google to see if you can find an answer. Try with search terms like duster coat as one, "rider's coat" (in quotes) as another. Then you can search within the results for time period - 1880, 1920, or whatever. Puma

Manix

Mutatis mutandis
Registered
Reaction score
The Vaqueros (Spanish cowboys) wore long oil skin dusters--rawhide

as well as Australian cowboys

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
I found one site so far that said dusters were sometimes called Range Coats.

*still looking*

gam67

Registered
Reaction score
Hello
From what I have learned, in 1870 the duster as we know it wasn't around yet. the choices would have been something along the lines of a Greatcoat or perhaps a civil war surplus Frock coat..most likely woolen.
Perhaps a Slicker, also known as a cowboy pommel slicker..I know the slicker was areound in 1880
The following text is from Douglas C. McChristian's book "Uniforms, Arms, and Equipment, The U.S Army on the Western Frontier, 1880-1892" Vol. 2

"When the eighth cavalry made a record overland march from Texas to its new stations in Montana and the Dakotas in 1888, "several troops purchased what was known as the 'fish brand' slicker, which is of a yellow color, light and durable, and which covered the wearer and his saddle down to below his boot tops, and proved to be an almost perfect protection in the heavy rains that fell during the march, sometimes lasting all day." Phelps, "From Texas to Dakota".

so perhaps it was around a little earlier as well.

around 1900-1910 the linen "duster" started showing up, in 1910 it was sold as a "car coat" for those new automobile drivers..

then came the oil skin dusters etc..
at least thats what my digging has shown me..hope it help

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Hey gam67, your mention of the Greatcoat led me right to what I wanted.

Puma, the Ulster coat is what I had pictured in my head, but according to what I found(thanks to gam there), there are all kinds of overcoats from the time period I mentioned.

Do you think using the word ulster coat would be a little too over the top for a western? And mybe I should just stick with "overcoat".

Its for a charcter in the "Something Different" story I'm working on. He's supposed to be a stagecoach driver.

Puma

Retired and loving it!
Registered
Reaction score
People who populated the west came from all over. I really don't think there'd be a problem with Ulster coat if it fits your character. If it doesn't, use greatcoat or overcoat. Puma

Cav Guy

Living in the backstory
Registered
Reaction score
I'd use the term overcoat as opposed to greatcoat. Oilskin ponchos were also reasonably common. Ramon Adams did a book some years back (http://www.amazon.com/dp/0803259174/?tag=absolutewritedm-20) that could give you some interesting pointers regarding clothing and the like from that time. As a side note, the one Amazon reviewer complains about Adams' use of dialect...I actually found it to be a nice touch considering what he was trying to do.

CDaniel

Writing for the brand
Registered
Reaction score
Thanks, Cav.