PDA

View Full Version : Games you just return to-

Nivarion
04-22-2009, 08:33 AM
-over and over and over.

No matter how many new games i get i keep going back to the same old games over and over again.

Baldur's gate 1&2 (the PC version, the console versions are S***age)
Warcraft 2
Lords of the Realm 2
Age of the Empires 2
And every zelda ever made.

So, what games do yall go back to over and over?

paperbacklove
04-24-2009, 12:38 AM
Persona 3, for sure. The game is pretty long on its own (and the FES expansion adds about thirty hours to the ~100 of the original), but there's so much to do and so many ways to do it. New things happen every time I pick it up! :LilLove:

... I sound like an ad. :tongue

Adam
04-24-2009, 01:26 AM
KOTOR 1+2
Half Life 1+2
The Longest Journey.
Oblivion.
Neverwinter Nights 1+2
Peggle (what? :D )

Thems the biggies. :)

Zoombie
04-24-2009, 01:54 AM
Mount and Blade.

Its just...so COOL!

Adam
04-24-2009, 02:02 AM
Downloaded the demo of that on Steam but never actually played it. Worth a go then?

Nivarion
04-24-2009, 06:18 AM
KOTOR 1+2
Half Life 1+2
The Longest Journey.
Oblivion.
Neverwinter Nights 1+2
Peggle (what? :D )

Thems the biggies. :)

Oh man i want to try Neverwinter. It's a sequel to Baldur's gate, meaning you can import your BG characters into it and play start the game with your level 40 fighter.

Adam
04-24-2009, 06:24 AM
The original Neverwinter is REALLY cheap now. A friend bought a copy on Amazon recently for about 2 + postage. :D

Worth the money.

Zoombie
04-24-2009, 07:32 AM
Mount and Blade is an AMAZING game...

IF you get the right mods for it.

Its like Oblivion and Morrowind and Fallout 3, in that way...

I just got the Brutality mod (which does nothing but add better sound effects and fifty times more blood), and then its fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSosqB-1nEU

OH!

And there is a new expansion pack coming out that's going to improve the graphics...AND ADD MULTIPLAYER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

winwinwinwinwinwinwinwin!

Adam
04-24-2009, 02:29 PM
I'd better give it a go then. ;)

Sophia
04-24-2009, 02:43 PM
So, what games do yall go back to over and over?

Baldur's Gate I and II for me, too. Endlessly. The PC versions, specifically - the console versions were okay for repetitive monster killin' and minimal story depth, which is okay for zoning out to.
Caesar III / Pharaoh / Zeus / Emperor, depending on what setting I'm in the mood for. :)
Medieval Total War I and II / Rome Total War

I played Neverwinter Nights I and its expansion packs through completely, but wouldn't play it again as pretty much nothing would be different with a different player character. (I played through all the companion storylines as well in the main game.)

Romantic Heretic
04-25-2009, 04:08 PM
Diablo II and Civ IV are my biggies.

Occasionally Stubbs The Zombie if I want a good laugh. :D

whistlelock
04-26-2009, 12:45 AM
You know, this rarely happens to me. Once I've played through a game two, maybe three times, I'm done with it. No going back.

BUT, I did play two games for a very long time- Starcraft and Battlezone II.

Both are good times.

DragonHeart
04-26-2009, 05:21 PM
The Final Fantasy series for me. Yeah, pretty much all of them. They're basically comfort games to me and much like a favorite book, I love returning to the stories again and again. Tales of the Abyss is also a game I've replayed at least a few times.

Sophia
04-26-2009, 06:25 PM
I wondered if anyone would mention Final Fantasy. :) Final Fantasy XII is my game of the moment. This is my third time through in the past month, I think. I definitely understand how it can be a comfort game.

Cath
04-26-2009, 06:47 PM
I never finished FFXII - I got bored half way through and didn't pick it up again - I love 7, 8, and 9 though, and have played each more times than I care to remember.

For others, Baldur's Gate, definitely, and Dungeon Keeper II - dang I love it when my minions can't play marbles.

Mythical Tiger
04-26-2009, 06:48 PM
Halo 3!!!!!!!!!!!

~Sam

DragonHeart
04-26-2009, 07:47 PM
A lot of people didn't like XII, but I think it's partly because of the development (they added Vaan and Penelo into the story very late; Basch was originally the main character) and partly the battle system (borrowed heavily from XI, which I played for a good two years or so). I really like it myself, though I thought the Gambit system did make it a little too easy. But then so does the Zodiac Spear hah.

I can't wait for XIII, the trailers just keep looking more and more awesome. Versus is looking a lot like VII though, which I wasn't overly fond of.

VIII is actually the first Final Fantasy I played so I'm rather heavily biased in my opinion of it. I even have a replica of Squall's Griever necklace that I wear. Yeah, I'm weird. >.> The Dissidia trailer with him fighting Sephiroth made me squee like a little girl, I admit it. :D

Ludka
04-27-2009, 02:22 AM
Star Control II (Downloaded for free at the Ur-Quan Masters site)

Best. Game. Ever.

scottishpunk
04-27-2009, 10:51 PM
Mario 3
Myst (There are still a couple Myst titles I've not had the pleasure to play...)
Anything Zelda related
SSX (the first one)

SPMiller
04-27-2009, 11:51 PM
I remember Lords of the Realm 2, but I wouldn't say it's a game I replayed much.

However, I've replayed Far Cry, Half-Life 1/2/ep1/ep2, Fallout 1/2, PS:T, and Baldur's Gate 2.

I like soloing BG2 and NWN.

Zoombie
04-28-2009, 01:44 PM
Rise of Legends / Rise of Nations.

Rise of Legends was 1/3rd awesome, 1/3rd pretty cool and 1/3 all right.

Rise of Nations was like what Age of Empires III SHOULD have been.

Bufty
05-05-2009, 06:11 PM
I've played games since the mid 90's and rarely played one twice except for the Civilization series.

herdon
05-12-2009, 06:20 PM
Neverwinter Nights. I created a series of mods for it that are rogue-like so I pretty much just play my own mods.

Diablo II/Titan's Quest. I just recently went back to these because I'm looking forward to D3 and I had to get me some hack and slash fun in while I wait.

I constantly play the latest NCAA Football on Xbox, so I don't really ever 'go back' to it so much as I'm usually in the middle of a dynasty.

Moria. Yep, text-based Moria. Still holds up as far as I'm concerned.

Master of Magic. The best 4x strategy game I've ever played. Also sometimes pull out the Master of Orion II CD.

Everquest II. If it weren't for the graphics, I'd probably go back to Everquest.

aadams73
06-04-2009, 04:31 AM
Diablo II. I cannot WAIT for III.

Adam
06-04-2009, 04:50 AM
Ooh, I'd forgotten that was coming out!!!!

*Happy dance*

dclary
06-04-2009, 09:36 AM
Nethack.

Zoombie
06-04-2009, 09:53 AM
The Disciples series is an underrated gem.

Lhun
06-04-2009, 05:15 PM
Definitly Final Fantasy. Let's see: VII, liked it, play from time to time. VIII pure awesome. IX only barely managed to finish it once. X Very good. Play it every few months.

Xenogears (rivals FFVIII for best RPG on PSone) and the unofficial sequels Xenosaga 1-3. Though 3 is defnitly the best of them. I just love the story.

Star Ocean 3. I kinda like the story, and really like how the battle system gives it a good mix between standard RPG and action. I've finished that at least a dozen times.

Shadowhearts. All of them. Cool sense of humour, and a lovecraftian horror athmosphere, what's not to like?
Those games are all like favorite books, i just replay them regularly. :D

As for games without story, but actual replay value:
Dominions 3. The only real strategy game in existence. Been playing that without interruption since its release. A PBM turn every now and then, and one or two evenings a week hotseat with a friend. I'm pretty sure i'll keep playing that until DOM 4 gets made. :D

Master of Orion 3. The only good space 4X game that's been released for years. I don't care how many fans squee over Stardock. The GalCiv games suck. They've got all the useless pretty features and lack of depth you get in Spore.

Oh man i want to try Neverwinter. It's a sequel to Baldur's gate, meaning you can import your BG characters into it and play start the game with your level 40 fighter.No it's not. Might have been planned that way, but what was supposed to be BGIII was turned into the ToB expansion. NWN doesn't even use AD&D rules anymore, they picked D&D3 instead. (implemented rather badly imo. Items with level requirements ind D&D? WTF?)

Fuchsia Flower
06-05-2009, 12:48 AM
Yep, the Final Fantasy series for me too. 7 being my ultimate go back to time and time again and will always love game :)

MrWrite
06-05-2009, 06:13 AM
Am I the only sports freak on here? The game I play the most is FIFA 08. Yes I'm a soccer nut. Or a football nut for any fellow Brits on here :D

Oh yeah and Medal of Honour: Rising Sun

spamwarrior
06-15-2009, 07:11 AM
NOM NOM NOM 4 FUD!!!

Elidibus
06-15-2009, 02:07 PM
Cue another point for Diablo 2

Also Final fantasy 7
Final Fantasy Tactics
Morrowind

And sometimes Perfect Dark and Goldeneye.

To a lesser extent
Soul Calibur 4 (online is fun, but I hate the 4th graders smack talking me after I destroy them with my female Librarian character with Amy's moveset. She wears clothing, BTW.)
Super Smash Bros Brawl (If I could find people to play where I live that were decent)

I would say Plants VS Zombies, but it's only been out for a month.

Oh, and I forgot City of Heroes. I'll reopen my WoW account for a month or two every other blue moon, but I'll always go back to CoH.

SharkGelli
06-16-2009, 11:17 AM
Am I the only sports freak on here? The game I play the most is FIFA 08. Yes I'm a soccer nut. Or a football nut for any fellow Brits on here :D
I always find myself going back to NBA Live [insert year here] games, so... you've got at least a little company? ^ ^

I always return to Final Fantasy Tactics and Phoenix Wright. Because nobody* does a job system better than Final Fantasy Tactics, and nobody (on a gaming system)** does murder mysteries better than Phoenix Wright.

- - - - - - - - - -
*Any evidence to the contrary is clearly forged evidence
**Logical arguments to the contrary are inherently fallacious

Tomothy_Mayhem
06-17-2009, 01:56 AM
ok heres mah list:

1. Deus Ex (NOT INVISIBLE WAR, including The Nameless Mod)
2. Elder Scrolls: Oblivion (with mods you can't beat it)
3. S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Shadow of Chernobyl
4. Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War
5. System Shock 2

Matt Willard
06-17-2009, 09:42 PM
Chrono Trigger, Mario and Luigi: Superstar Saga, Castlevania: Aria of Sorrow, Metroid Zero Mission/Fusion, Ristar...great games which you all really need to play more.

cethklein
07-10-2009, 06:08 AM
I could write a novel on this one. In fact, I think I will, right now:

Dragon Warrior 3: My all-time favorite game. This game, when released in Japan, caused most of the country to skip school (according to legend anyway). Mu brother and I loved the first two and scurried to get the third when it came out. I still love it to this day. The game is the penultimate Japanese RPG. I love the whole series but 3 is the best.

Soul Blazer: Another personal favorite. I play through it at least once a year time permitting. The music was top notch, the graphics were amazing for the time, and the gameplay was stellar. I can hum almost every tune from it.

Tomba (and Tomba 2). These were fantastic. I played part 2 first and fell in love with it. Everything about them was amazing, the pacing was perfect, and I can play them often and still enjoy them (or I could until I sold the playstation on a whim. I'm an idiot.

Castlevania SOTN (and all other "Metroidvania" titles. This game blew me away. While everyone else was playing 3d stuff in the late 90s, this was all I cared about. Why don't more titles copy this format? (a new one called Shadow Complex is coming and it looks great.) I got the game again on our Xbox 360 and have since cleared it with 200.6 and the Duplicator. Yeah, I've got at least some free time.)

Chrono Trigger: There are a lot of games I feel get too much hype. This one however lives up to it. Everything about it was perfect. The Spekkio song is the best track in gaming history. I can breeze through it now though but still play it occasionally.

Crusaders of the Dark Savant. This is not only one of the largest and hardest titles ever, but it's STILL great. It was years ahead of it's time, even featuring a world that moved forward around you. NPCs would even kill each other. DW Bradley was and still is a fantastic writer. I've come back to it so many times yet never finished it. But it's just so damn good I hope to one day.

Commander Keen: Another great series with great atmosphere and fantastic music *in the later ones). I play through them every so often.

Old adventure games: I love this stuff despite some of them being painfully frustrating (damn you Companions of Xanth). I especially love Rex Nebular, the Kyrandia games, Dune, Quest for Glory, and LucasArts and Legend titles. I play them all when I can.

luke_mushu_2010
07-10-2009, 06:40 AM
-All the Tony Hawk Games
-Grand Theft Auto:Vice City
-Elder Scrolls:Morrowind
-Resident Evil 4
-Super Mario '64

Zoombie
07-10-2009, 07:01 AM
Empire: Total WAr.

Kievah
07-10-2009, 07:05 AM
For me, it's a lot of Squaresoft games: Final Fantasy 7 & 8, FF Tactics, Xenogears.

At the moment, I'm replaying Legend of Dragoon. The PSX put out awesome RPG titles in its day.

cethklein
07-14-2009, 07:49 PM
Dragoon was a lot of fun, I was just thinking of it the other day. I never got to finish it. The battle system took getting used to but it was still fun. The plot was good and the production values were amazing for the time.

Kievah
07-16-2009, 05:06 AM
At times, the fighting system in Dragoon could be infuriating, particularly toward the end when victory is riding on pulling off full Dragoon combos. But the ending is satisfying.

I'm trying to resist playing through Xenogears again. My semester break is almost over, and I still want to get myself back into a writing routine before my studies start up.

Video games are the most tempting diversion.

mister_lister
07-19-2009, 06:20 AM
I have be computer gaming since the early eighties, I could mention a bunch of titles, but the ones that stand out and that I over played were:

DOOM: The graphics are so bad but it was the best first person at its time. Over Played that game to death and all the sequels.

DUKE NUKEM 3D: I am still waiting for "Duke Nukem Forever" the vapor title that is talked about but never done.

QUAKE 1: The sound track was awsome and the ambience was great, played that over and over again until the mods and multiplayer came out and played them all to death. Wasn't to thrilled with the sequels.

HALF LIFE (ALL): I like alot of the steam games.

OBLIVION: Enamored with the game, wouldn't put it down for months and still play it.

FALLOUT (ALL): I have played these games some many times. I almost got a permanent job with Interplay, did some temp work for them during the fallout 2 days. FALLOUT 3 is so addictive I have continued to play after mastering the game and I have all of the trophies, I did the last quest but went back to a previous save before the game ending last quest. I have all the tropies, a house in town and keep most of my npcs there. I am still finding things in this game, the designers really went to town.

By far the Bethesda Games (makers of Oblivion and Fallout 3) are my favorite at this time. They are everything I want in a game and more.

I didn't list the mmorpg, never really got into them. I like first person adventure games, non-multiplayer.

Zoombie
07-19-2009, 10:43 AM
Un fortunately, Duke Nukem Forever's dead. Dead and gone.

Anywho!

I really enjoy Supreme Commander: Forged Alliance. Its a real worth sequel to Total Anhilation.

Really, the only things TA did better was music and explosions.

Right up till you mod SupCom to have better booms. Then all fun is good.

JLCwrites
07-21-2009, 04:55 AM
I can only tell you the ones I'd like to play again. (having kids has squelched my gaming days)

Duke Nukem 3D (suck it down!)

Warcraft (Mr. Turkey and I still quote things from this game. Swobu, Zug zug!)

Quake (Even was on a gaming clan for Action Quake)

Counter Strike (using the company's T1 server.)

Roller Coaster Tycoon (A great game! Especially when you deleted all the bathrooms and added a bunch of soda stands and you gave the roller coaster dirty names so your patrons would say things like "That Dirty Whore was fun!")

cethklein
07-21-2009, 05:30 AM
I have be computer gaming since the early eighties, I could mention a bunch of titles, but the ones that stand out and that I over played were:

DOOM: The graphics are so bad but it was the best first person at its time. Over Played that game to death and all the sequels.

DUKE NUKEM 3D: I am still waiting for "Duke Nukem Forever" the vapor title that is talked about but never done.

QUAKE 1: The sound track was awsome and the ambience was great, played that over and over again until the mods and multiplayer came out and played them all to death. Wasn't to thrilled with the sequels.

HALF LIFE (ALL): I like alot of the steam games.

OBLIVION: Enamored with the game, wouldn't put it down for months and still play it.

FALLOUT (ALL): I have played these games some many times. I almost got a permanent job with Interplay, did some temp work for them during the fallout 2 days. FALLOUT 3 is so addictive I have continued to play after mastering the game and I have all of the trophies, I did the last quest but went back to a previous save before the game ending last quest. I have all the tropies, a house in town and keep most of my npcs there. I am still finding things in this game, the designers really went to town.

By far the Bethesda Games (makers of Oblivion and Fallout 3) are my favorite at this time. They are everything I want in a game and more.

I didn't list the mmorpg, never really got into them. I like first person adventure games, non-multiplayer.

I loved all the old PC titles. Funny thing is, i was going through the closet awhile back and I discovered a box of old PC titles I had since the early 90s back in junior high. Many of the old SSI games, Ultima titles and other things like that. All in boxes and even containing the old cloth maps where applicable. I wonder if that stuff is worth anything? Probably not but it's good nostalgia. Those games frustrated me so much. Anyone remember how when you talked to people in those SSI games, instead of it showing what they said, you had to reference the manual to see what they said? They must have done it that way to save disk space. Man was that annoying. That's why I never finished those games. A friend of mine gave them all to me when I got our first PC but I never finished them.

I also discovered in the same foray a few old plastic bins filled with old Super Nintendo cartridges. I thought my brother had swiped them and sold them years ago but apparently I've had them (I've moved multiple items and never noticed.) It appears pretty much every major RPG from the Super Nintendo is in there, from Chrono Trigger to Secret of Mana to EVO Search for Eden. I wish I owned a Super Nintendo still (my brother DID ge that, I'm certain.) I'd like to play that stuff again. I guess I could keep keep them for my son. Mayb I'll find the system at a yard sale or something. I think those things had save batteries thouugh and I'll bet they've all since gone dead. Oh well.

You know what game system I always wanted but never got to get? A Vectrex. That one with the TV built into it and you put those plastic overlays on the screen. Those looked like fun. (even if they looked like something out of War Games.) I'll bet you can find those on Ebay cheap now. Maybe I'll make up for lsot time and buy one.

Zoombie
07-21-2009, 01:33 PM
I'm replaying Total Anhilation.

Best.

Music.

EVER.

Higgins
07-21-2009, 06:20 PM
I'm replaying Total Anhilation.

Best.

Music.

EVER.

I may be returning to War in the Pacific (via the Admiral's Edition expansion) soon. Look out. Don't crash into China (as it was in 1940 anyway):

http://www.matrixgames.com/files/games/s351_AEss-446.jpg?width=800&height=600

http://www.matrixgames.com/products/351/details/War.in.the.Pacific.-.Admiral's.Edition

Fulk
07-23-2009, 10:44 AM
Morrowind, Oblivion, Civilization III/IV, Medieval Total War I & II, Black & White, Neverwinter Nights, Warcraft III, Portal, Mount & Blade... I really appreciate replay value in games. And I will almost always purchase a game with replay value before I get one that can only really be played once.

Not intended to derail--since so many of you mention Neverwinter Nights, remind me why I've never heard mention of an Absolute Write NWN server.

scottishpunk
07-24-2009, 10:58 PM
I'm playing through Tim Schafer's old games again these days. Monkey Island 1 and 2, Day of the Tenticle, etc. I love those ones. So well written.

LOG
07-25-2009, 07:26 PM
Battle.net
Legend of Zelda

Paper & Pencil
07-26-2009, 11:24 PM
Secret of Mana
Chrono Trigger (not as much though)
Final Fantasy 2 (the 2 that was released in America for SNES, I think its part IV or something)
Earthbound
The legend of Zelda, the original one
Phantasy Star IV
Super Mario (for the SNES)
Super Mario World Yoshi's Island

Shoeless
07-26-2009, 11:25 PM
Rock Band.

For very obvious reasons.

Prozyan
07-27-2009, 09:24 AM
The Monkey Island series.

Heroin, that stuff. Seriously.

JoshW
08-02-2009, 01:18 AM
FF8 was...well... weird?

It had some great ideas, but the story was so... I don't know... Not bogus or poorly written or anything... but... I don't know...

I DID manage to play it all the way through twice, and the ending was impressive for a game that came out at the end of the 90s...