PDA

View Full Version : Caprica - possible spoilers?

nevada
04-22-2009, 08:16 AM
Anybody see it yet? I watched it today. I'm not sure what to think. Production value is excellent, to see the creation of the Cylons is neat but it was mostly a whole lot about religion and racism. BSG was religious too, I realize that, but I could watch it without giving it too much thought, but Caprica just seems to be about religion only. And maybe I'm getting old but I'm just not that interested in a show where one of hte driving forces is a 16 yr old girl.

Then again, Esai Morales is mighty fine and I will watch a lot just to see him. (I know, shallow)

It was tons better than dollhouse though, thats for sure, and I stuck that one out for three episodes. Not writing Caprica off just yet, but if it just becomes religion central, I might have to give it a miss.

ETA I have nothing against religion. I realize that sounded bad. I'm just not interested in watching a show about religion.

Shadow_Ferret
01-27-2010, 06:21 PM
Not sure how you watched it way back in April since the Pilot just aired last Friday.

I'm watching it now (DVRed). I don't understand anything that's going on. I have no idea who this dark haired girl is, why she's taking a train somewhere, or what that whole beginning fight sequence was about. I'm about 10 minutes into it and thinking of giving up on the series already.

Shadow_Ferret
01-27-2010, 06:22 PM
Oh, pretty explosion!

Jcomp
01-27-2010, 06:31 PM
Not sure how you watched it way back in April since the Pilot just aired last Friday.

A DVD and download of the pilot came out in April. I was interested just because faux-history of fictional worlds is always intriguing to me, so I borrowed it from an old colleague who was a big BSG fan but never really got around to watching it before I gave it back to him. I had forgot all about it until seeing some tv ads. Was meaning to catch it. Damn it all...

dolores haze
01-27-2010, 06:42 PM
I thought it sucked.

dragonjax
01-27-2010, 06:43 PM
I saw it. The last 20 minutes made me decide to stick around for this week's episode. The way I look at it, every new show needs a couple of episodes to find its stride. I'm hopeful Caprica will do so. Agree that there's a huge focus on religion and racism -- I think things will flesh out soon.

What I'm not sure about is how this can be a full series instead of a mini-series. But I'm willing to give it a shot.

BenPanced
01-27-2010, 06:53 PM
I didn't like Battlestar Galactica (any flavor), so I'm passing on this.

Shadow_Ferret
01-27-2010, 07:04 PM
IThe way I look at it, every new show needs a couple of episodes to find its stride.

The way I look at it, and this applies to all forms of entertainment, they have an extremely short time to grab my attention or I'm looking for something else to occupy my time.

Caprica failed in this.

dragonjax
01-27-2010, 08:25 PM
The way I look at it, and this applies to all forms of entertainment, they have an extremely short time to grab my attention or I'm looking for something else to occupy my time.

Caprica failed in this.

That's cool. I feel the same way about other shows. :)

Tin Man
01-28-2010, 12:40 PM
The DVD came out last year. I thought it was compelling viewing. A absorbing mix of melodrama and sublte, relevant socio-politcal-theocratic elements.

dragonjax
01-30-2010, 07:39 AM
And...I'm done.

Tin Man
01-30-2010, 07:54 AM
Yikes. So soon?

dragonjax
01-30-2010, 07:57 AM
Yikes. So soon?

Yup.

Tin Man
01-30-2010, 08:41 AM
Ah, sorry to hear that. I'm looking forward to more eps.

dragonjax
01-30-2010, 08:17 PM
Ah, sorry to hear that. I'm looking forward to more eps.

Cool. I hope you enjoy it. :)

Tin Man
01-31-2010, 12:43 AM
Thanks!:)

BenPanced
01-31-2010, 02:26 AM

Caprica failed in this.
When it's commercial TV, I give it until the first break. If I watch the first episode through and I'm still skeptical, I'll watch the second, just to make sure. With most current TV, however, I feel I've been too generous.

Treyfan
02-01-2010, 12:55 AM
My boyfriend is forcing me to watch Battle Star Galatica (he has it on DVD). In all honesty, I can't stand BSG but it makes him happy.

He forced me to watch Caprica and I expected to hate it, but I think it's pretty cool so far. It's definitely more watchable than BSG. It stresses the religion thing more than BSG and I'm curious to where they'll take it in the series. I'll know after the next episode if I'm going to watch the whole thing or not.

dirtsider
02-02-2010, 02:20 AM
I watched only a part of the first ep. It wasn't that bad, although it didn't really hold my attention enough to distract me from wanting to get some sleep. I did like how they transitioned from Zoe the avatar to the cylon drone and back again, though. And the aide/intern who was talking to her/it as if he sensed it was something more than just a drone.

I do like the socio-political themes in this better than the ones in the new BSG.

Shadow_Ferret
02-02-2010, 02:26 AM
The DVD came out last year. I thought it was compelling viewing. A absorbing mix of melodrama and sublte, relevant socio-politcal-theocratic elements.
Wha? :Wha:

My boyfriend is forcing me to watch Battle Star Galatica (he has it on DVD). In all honesty, I can't stand BSG but it makes him happy.

I would never dream of forcing my SO to watch something she hates just because I liked it. My wife has a general dislike of sci-fi/fantasy, so that just never gets watched if she's in the room.

darkprincealain
03-05-2010, 05:12 PM
I'm not digging this, but I'll stick it out for a few more episodes, I guess. :)

dragonjax
03-05-2010, 05:59 PM
After episode 2 turned me off so much, I took a week off, then reluctantly watched episode 3. And then episode 4. And then episode 5. And now, NOW I am invested in it. Now I see the foundation of what will be the Cylon culture. And I want more. I'm looking forward to the show tonight.

darkprincealain
03-09-2010, 10:26 PM
I watched, and I think it's starting to hit its stride. It is a lot more relationship oriented than BSG, which I think is where it put me off. But the intrigue is nice and some of the acting is brilliant.

Sage
03-09-2010, 10:40 PM
I watched the first two eps, but they didn't really hook me. My roomie is watching it and adores it, so maybe the later eps get better. She didn't like BSG, and I thought it was kinda okay (although I only saw the first and last season of that)

K. Taylor
07-25-2010, 06:43 AM
The SDCC Caprica panel. http://www.thefemmebot.com/2010/07/24/comic-con-2010-the-caprica-panel/
5 parts.

darkprincealain
10-07-2010, 04:30 PM
I didn't care for the latest episode. I think they've got me for one more episode, to see how things are handled with Paula Malcomson, then I'm out.

Grrarrgh
10-28-2010, 05:07 PM
I just heard that this was canceled. They're pulling the 5 unaired eps for now and will run them sometime next year. I'm disappointed, but not surprised. I hate those mid-season breaks that networks are so fond of, and I think that it played a huge part in this cancellation. Too much time lagged in a show that people weren't yet hugely invested in, and they didn't come back for the second half.

Here's a link, if anyone wants it:

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/10/27/breaking-syfy-cancels-caprica/

dragonjax
10-28-2010, 07:08 PM
I just heard that this was canceled. They're pulling the 5 unaired eps for now and will run them sometime next year. I'm disappointed, but not surprised. I hate those mid-season breaks that networks are so fond of, and I think that it played a huge part in this cancellation. Too much time lagged in a show that people weren't yet hugely invested in, and they didn't come back for the second half.

Here's a link, if anyone wants it:

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/10/27/breaking-syfy-cancels-caprica/

I think it's more than the huge break between seasons. In Caprica's case specifically, the phenomenal world building and character histories took a back seat to the polytheistic/monotheistic war. Every episode in the first season (or first half of the first season) focused on the STO, and on New Cap City, which I didn't think was explained well. In addition, Amanda's character was just idiotic -- far too many Too Stupid To Live moments for my taste, starting with the second episode where she publicly announced that her dead daughter was STO and must have blown up the train.

The one thing from the first half of season one that held my attention was Tamara in New Cap City as the first Deathwalker.

Even the start of the second half earlier this month wasn't really doing it for me - apotheosis seems to have come out of nowhere. But finally, this week's episode I found terrific -- I loved seeing more of Sam, and having a Cylon do his dirty work, along with the classic "By your command," was chilling. Finally, I thought, we're getting somewhere.

So of course the series got canceled. Sigh.

Someone needs to write the rest of Caprica as a novel, or a series of novels. Hmm. Anyone know Jane E. personally?

dragonjax
12-30-2010, 03:05 AM
**bump**

The last five episodes will air on Tuesday, January 4 on the SyFy Channel, from 6 pm through 11 pm.

darkprincealain
01-11-2011, 03:37 AM
I actually did watch all but the final episode. I'm liking the portion aired January 4. Where was this writing in the earlier parts of the season?

I may dive into the series finale here shortly.