Caprica - possible spoilers?

nevada

Registered
Reaction score
Anybody see it yet? I watched it today. I'm not sure what to think. Production value is excellent, to see the creation of the Cylons is neat but it was mostly a whole lot about religion and racism. BSG was religious too, I realize that, but I could watch it without giving it too much thought, but Caprica just seems to be about religion only. And maybe I'm getting old but I'm just not that interested in a show where one of hte driving forces is a 16 yr old girl.

Then again, Esai Morales is mighty fine and I will watch a lot just to see him. (I know, shallow)

It was tons better than dollhouse though, thats for sure, and I stuck that one out for three episodes. Not writing Caprica off just yet, but if it just becomes religion central, I might have to give it a miss.

ETA I have nothing against religion. I realize that sounded bad. I'm just not interested in watching a show about religion.

Last edited:

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
shadowferret.wordpress.com
Not sure how you watched it way back in April since the Pilot just aired last Friday.

I'm watching it now (DVRed). I don't understand anything that's going on. I have no idea who this dark haired girl is, why she's taking a train somewhere, or what that whole beginning fight sequence was about. I'm about 10 minutes into it and thinking of giving up on the series already.

Jcomp

Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
Not sure how you watched it way back in April since the Pilot just aired last Friday.

A DVD and download of the pilot came out in April. I was interested just because faux-history of fictional worlds is always intriguing to me, so I borrowed it from an old colleague who was a big BSG fan but never really got around to watching it before I gave it back to him. I had forgot all about it until seeing some tv ads. Was meaning to catch it. Damn it all...

dragonjax

I write stuff and break boards.
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
I saw it. The last 20 minutes made me decide to stick around for this week's episode. The way I look at it, every new show needs a couple of episodes to find its stride. I'm hopeful Caprica will do so. Agree that there's a huge focus on religion and racism -- I think things will flesh out soon.

What I'm not sure about is how this can be a full series instead of a mini-series. But I'm willing to give it a shot.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
IThe way I look at it, every new show needs a couple of episodes to find its stride.

The way I look at it, and this applies to all forms of entertainment, they have an extremely short time to grab my attention or I'm looking for something else to occupy my time.

Caprica failed in this.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
The way I look at it, and this applies to all forms of entertainment, they have an extremely short time to grab my attention or I'm looking for something else to occupy my time.

Caprica failed in this.

That's cool. I feel the same way about other shows. :)

Tin Man

Chicks dig the metal.
Registered
Reaction score
The DVD came out last year. I thought it was compelling viewing. A absorbing mix of melodrama and sublte, relevant socio-politcal-theocratic elements.

Tin Man

Chicks dig the metal.
Registered
Reaction score
Ah, sorry to hear that. I'm looking forward to more eps.

BenPanced

THE BLUEBERRY QUEEN OF HADES (he/him)
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score

Caprica failed in this.
When it's commercial TV, I give it until the first break. If I watch the first episode through and I'm still skeptical, I'll watch the second, just to make sure. With most current TV, however, I feel I've been too generous.

Treyfan

Token Black Chick
Registered
Reaction score
My boyfriend is forcing me to watch Battle Star Galatica (he has it on DVD). In all honesty, I can't stand BSG but it makes him happy.

He forced me to watch Caprica and I expected to hate it, but I think it's pretty cool so far. It's definitely more watchable than BSG. It stresses the religion thing more than BSG and I'm curious to where they'll take it in the series. I'll know after the next episode if I'm going to watch the whole thing or not.

dirtsider

Not so new, really
Registered
Reaction score
I watched only a part of the first ep. It wasn't that bad, although it didn't really hold my attention enough to distract me from wanting to get some sleep. I did like how they transitioned from Zoe the avatar to the cylon drone and back again, though. And the aide/intern who was talking to her/it as if he sensed it was something more than just a drone.

I do like the socio-political themes in this better than the ones in the new BSG.

Shadow_Ferret

Court Jester
Registered
Reaction score
Website
The DVD came out last year. I thought it was compelling viewing. A absorbing mix of melodrama and sublte, relevant socio-politcal-theocratic elements.
Wha? :Wha:
My boyfriend is forcing me to watch Battle Star Galatica (he has it on DVD). In all honesty, I can't stand BSG but it makes him happy.

I would never dream of forcing my SO to watch something she hates just because I liked it. My wife has a general dislike of sci-fi/fantasy, so that just never gets watched if she's in the room.

dragonjax

Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.jackiekessler.com
After episode 2 turned me off so much, I took a week off, then reluctantly watched episode 3. And then episode 4. And then episode 5. And now, NOW I am invested in it. Now I see the foundation of what will be the Cylon culture. And I want more. I'm looking forward to the show tonight.

darkprincealain

Registered
Reaction score
I watched, and I think it's starting to hit its stride. It is a lot more relationship oriented than BSG, which I think is where it put me off. But the intrigue is nice and some of the acting is brilliant.

Last edited:

Sage

Supreme Guessinator
Staff member
Registered
Reaction score
I watched the first two eps, but they didn't really hook me. My roomie is watching it and adores it, so maybe the later eps get better. She didn't like BSG, and I thought it was kinda okay (although I only saw the first and last season of that)