Quick Census Question

Ciera_

This isn't exactly story research, but I wasn't sure where to put it. I've been tearing through the internet, but I can't find the answer.
If a census worker comes to the door and no adult is home (because it's 4:20 in the afternoon and some people, y'know, work), is it reasonable for the census worker to expect a minor (say, a 14-year-old girl such as myself) to answer any questions? And is it reasonable for said minor to say, "I'm sorry, I don't feel comfortable answering anything, you'll have to come back when an adult is home." (a bit less eloquently, as said minor was holding back a ballistic little mutt at the time), and THEN is it reasonable for the census guy to try to insist that the minor answer 'just a few questions', and get angry when the minor starts to close the door on him?
And smack the door angrily before leaving?

Better yet, is it LEGAL?

Mostly I'm just ticked right off. I ranted about this already on TWFT but I really would like to know. My mom'll be calling the census people tonight, that's for sure, after I tell her. The thing is, this is the same census worker who came Sunday night, when my mom was in the middle of an important phone call. He was rude then, too.
Am I being a bit overdramatic, or was he WAY out of line?

SirOtter

Il Cavaliere Marino
Registered
Reaction score
I worked the 2000 Census. It was an interesting job, and no one tried to eat my liver with fava beans and a nice chianti.

This guy was indeed waaaaay out of line. 4:20 is too early; we started about 6:30. Persistance is one thing; if the head-of-household doesn't return the form sent, someone will badger them until they respond. However, that level of rudeness is not acceptible, especially with a minor. You were right to tell him to come back when an adult was present and he was wrong to smack your door. Definitely report him.