Seek and destroy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
What are those words and phrases you find yourself constantly overusing in your book(s)? I'm at that final-pass-before-betas stage in my 65k YA novel, and luckily I've learned to jot down my verbal crutches in a revision file as I go. Now, I'm using find/replace to seek and destroy. I just discovered, for example, that I used the word "something" 76 times. Talk about a weak word!

Other problem terms for me are "too late", "already", "hardly", "always", "somehow" and "thing" (i.e., " [FONT=&quot]The subtext in every little thing she did").

[/FONT]What are yours?

Reaction score
Qualifiers such as 'rather', 'very' and 'quite'.

'That'.

And personal pronouns.

Bryan M Stephenson

no officer its not my gun.
Registered
Reaction score
Other than physically circling each word how do you use Microsoft word to count how many times a word was used. I think that would be very helpful.

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
Other than physically circling each word how do you use Microsoft word to count how many times a word was used. I think that would be very helpful.

Press Control + F to get to Find/Replace.
Type in whatever is is you're looking for in the Find field. Then click the "Reading Highlight" button, and select "Highlight All".
It'll highlight every instance of that term, and tell you how many times you used it. You can bounce from term to term by selecting next, or clear the highlights by selecting "Clear Highlighting."

Invaluable!

Niki_G

Here I Am!
Registered
Reaction score
Website
www.nicolegreenauthor.com
Press Control + F to get to Find/Replace.
Type in whatever is is you're looking for in the Find field. Then click the "Reading Highlight" button, and select "Highlight All".
It'll highlight every instance of that term, and tell you how many times you used it. You can bounce from term to term by selecting next, or clear the highlights by selecting "Clear Highlighting."

Invaluable!

This is the most useful thing I've learned all day. And I had 3 classes today. Thanks!

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score

I'm usually good about "that" -- I never write "she thought that", or "he believed that", etc. But I just searched for it and found 472! Seems I use it a bunch in terms like "that afternoon." Somebody do me a favor and let me know how many THATs they have in their book.... (again, mine's YA, at 65k)

This is the most useful thing I've learned all day. And I had 3 classes today. Thanks!

Welcome! :)

Delhomeboy

Stalking Jennifer Aniston!
Registered
Reaction score

I don't think verb forms can be overused. Just my opinion. Of course, you shouldn't put thirty was's in a sentence, but there's really no other way to say "He was walking."

Reaction score
He walked.

Sure, you might say you want the walking to seem more current, but 'he was this' and 'he was that' all the time isn't showing; it's telling.

Cyia

Rewriting My Destiny
Registered
Reaction score
"He was walking" is okay, but doesn't convey much in the sense of tone, unless you're saying "He was walking as opposed to driving."

He walked.
He clomped.
He tiptoed.
He sauntered.
He prissed.
He sashayed.
He stumbled.
He tripped.
He marched.
He meandered.
He sneaked.
He glided.
He tromped.
He plodded.
He padded.

+ a lot of others. They all mean "walk" in one form or another, but are much more case specific.

Delhomeboy

Registered
Reaction score
He walked.

Sure, you might say you want the walking to seem more current, but 'he was this' and 'he was that' all the time isn't showing; it's telling.

"He was walking" is okay, but doesn't convey much in the sense of tone, unless you're saying "He was walking as opposed to driving."

He walked.
He clomped.
He tiptoed.
He sauntered.
He prissed.
He sashayed.
He stumbled.
He tripped.
He marched.
He meandered.
He sneaked.
He glided.
He tromped.
He plodded.
He padded.

+ a lot of others. They all mean "walk" in one form or another, but are much more case specific.

I think I wasn't being clear. I'm talking imperfect form: He was walking when the cat attack him, etc.

Reaction score
If we're talking dialogue, all bets are off because of course, people don't speak in 'proper' English. The author should, but the characters have no obligation to do so.

Delhomeboy

Registered
Reaction score
If we're talking dialogue, all bets are off because of course, people don't speak in 'proper' English. The author should, but the characters have no obligation to do so.

Lol I don't think "He was walking" is improper English. It's just the English version of the Spanish Imperfect form (though I don't think we call it that). I dunno if other countries have imperfect forms, but I think most of the romantic ones do...

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
I'm usually good about "that" -- I never write "she thought that", or "he believed that", etc. But I just searched for it and found 472! Seems I use it a bunch in terms like "that afternoon." Somebody do me a favor and let me know how many THATs they have in their book.... (again, mine's YA, at 65k)

Welcome! :)

If you can take 'that' out of a sentence and it still makes sense..take it out.

That afternoon would probably have to stay, but something like 'He hoped that here he could...' would still make sense as 'He hoped here he could'

I am also a bugger for having too many sentences starting with 'there was' in first draft. Too telly, not showy. There's almost always a better way of showing it.

As for 'he was walking' - are you in past tense? Then 'he walked' makes more sense.

Bryan M Stephenson

no officer its not my gun.
Registered
Reaction score
thanks Wandergirl, you have saved me hours. and to contribute to the actual thread

40,000 word WIP

been - 100
some - 124
had - 440 Don't know if this is a bad one or not
that - 398

i always try to get them in edit. But boy getting a total right there on the screen is disheartening.

MetalDog

Woof!
Registered
Reaction score
yWriter will tell you how much you used each and every word, by the look of it.

Top ranking in my 63447 word thingy:
The with a cracking 3138
To a long second at 1911
And in third place with 1546

The only one in the big numbers that worries me is was at 882. That looks like trouble, yesiree.

Not found much use for yWriter beyond that, mind =D

wandergirl

~kirsten hubbard
Registered
Reaction score
That afternoon would probably have to stay, but something like 'He hoped that here he could...' would still make sense as 'He hoped here he could'

When writing in the past tense, I think I tend to say "That day, ___" instead of "Today,___". Maybe I'll scan for that and see if I can replace some of them.

ETA: I lied, I only have 2 "that day"s. hmm.

Bukarella

Registered
Reaction score
I have too many "shrugged", and I'm not sure what to do about all the tears I have coming... I worry it might be too much crying. :Shrug:

A word I will definitely have to take care of during editing stage is "shuttle". I bet no one else has that problem. heh!

Mr Flibble

They've been very bad, Mr Flibble
Kind Benefactor
Registered
Reaction score
We couldn't possibly do that. Who'd clear up the m
Website
francisknightbooks.co.uk
A word I will definitely have to take care of during editing stage is "shuttle". I bet no one else has that problem. heh!

Shuttle? At least it's original! I used to have a problem with 'gouts' as in gouts of blood etc. Far, far too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.